Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP bounces between lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just received my Model 3 this weekend, and I love the car. I just noticed some weird behavior when AP is engaged when the car is on a perfectly straight road. It feels like it’s slowly drifting left and right all the time. I can see the steering wheel move and feel the car go from side to side within the lane. It’s quite subtle, but I don’t understand why it doesnt just keep the wheel perfectly straight on a straight road with perfect markings. Is this normal behavior?

So I just received my Model 3 this weekend, and I love the car. I just noticed some weird behavior when AP is engaged when the car is on a perfectly straight road. It feels like it’s slowly drifting left and right all the time. I can see the steering wheel move and feel the car go from side to side within the lane. It’s quite subtle, but I don’t understand why it doesnt just keep the wheel perfectly straight on a straight road with perfect markings. Is this normal behavior?

It isnt normal, but was behavior introduced in the latest software update. Hopefully it will be corrected in future updates.

Slight oscillation on Autopilot

Hmm okay @Az_Rael so you have read about this issue somewhere else too? I’ll wait for that software update..

No, I hadn't read about it, but experienced it after a software update. Since the car didnt exhibit that behavior before the update on AP, I assumed it was introduced in the update and will eventually get corrected.

FYI, this type of stuff is par for the course on Tesla updates. New update might fix one thing but add two new weird things. The latest update has reduced phantom braking for me (that was previously mostly fixed but then got worse again), but added this new oscillation on a straight highway. Always pay attention to AP after updates, Tesla often touches a lot of code and doesn't document anything in the release notes other than "bug fixes".