Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight oscillation on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery yesterday of my Model 3 LR AWD and am VERY happy with the car. There were no issues that I could find with the car other than a slightly scuffed front under panel.

I've put 300 miles on it so far in the Chicago/Rockford area and a lot of that has been on autopilot. I have noticed that there is a slight left/right oscillation when driving on autopilot on the freeway. It doesn't move the wheel much, but you can feel the slight back and forth tension on the wheel, and you can feel it move back and forth. I don't get seasick easily, but I could image not feeling well on a long trip.

I haven't found any threads with this issue, so either I am searching it incorrectly, or there is something that is causing that.

Off of autopilot, the car does not pull at all and the wheel is straight, so I don't think it is an alignment issue.

Any ideas? Hopefully, the solution is a software update away!

I suspect the car is constantly making small adjustments to the steering in order to help assist with hand-on-wheel detection. It isn't noticeable most of the time on the highway, although it will occasionally get into some larger oscillations that are a bit annoying. I can usually make it stop by anticipating its next move and countersteering slightly.

Yes, I have the same issue, so do a couple others - reference my post:
Autopilot on Interstate Wandering Back and Forth

I was worse (noticeable and constant on AP) on the previous update 2019.12.1.2, and improved on most recent update 2019.16.3 to being barely noticeable, inconsistent in occurrence.

Yes, thanks for referencing the post - that is exactly what mine is doing and with perfectly repainted lines. I rented a Model 3 a month or so back for a weekend, with the same configuration as mine but probably an earlier SW version. I know that it did NOT do the back and forth. I am running 19.16.3 as well. Could be some calibration. I tried to change the steering to Comfort and I thought it was better, but then I doubt anything changed. Alignment is OK, but maybe the wheel balance is off?

I suspect the car is constantly making small adjustments to the steering in order to help assist with hand-on-wheel detection. It isn't noticeable most of the time on the highway, although it will occasionally get into some larger oscillations that are a bit annoying. I can usually make it stop by anticipating its next move and countersteering slightly.

I will try the countersteering, but I am hoping that at some point, it goes completely away.

My car did this when I first got Autopilot (added it after about 5000 miles were on the car). I've noticed it is doing it less, primarily after a highway curve. On straights, it doesn't happen anymore. I attributed it to the car "learning" how to drive in a straight line, rather than various SW versions. I'm on 12.1.2, if that matters.