Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP by VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I understand that there's no way to determine whether a car has autopilot by Vin number. I've heard some people with the P49xxx have AP but then some people with VIN numbers greater than that don't have it. How often is EV-CPO website incorrect when it says TP but actually has AP? They don't have actual pictures online to physically check the front bumper.

Let's say they do have the AP hardware, how do you know if AP is enabled?

So I understand that there's no way to determine whether a car has autopilot by Vin number. I've heard some people with the P49xxx have AP but then some people with VIN numbers greater than that don't have it. How often is EV-CPO website incorrect when it says TP but actually has AP? They don't have actual pictures online to physically check the front bumper.

Let's say they do have the AP hardware, how do you know if AP is enabled?
VINs aren't strictly production-order, so new feature releases have a range of VINs where they're introduced. Production month/day is a better indicator, but that's not easy to find when buying from Tesla over the original owner.

Regarding AP, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Tesla enables Autopilot on all CPO vehicles if they have the hardware to support it. For Tesla, it's essentially free for them to turn the feature on and sell the car at the AP-enabled price if it wasn't enabled already.

To make matters worse, shortly after Autopilot was announced I saw showroom cars with AP hardware with VINs as low as the mid-30,000s. I don't believe any of these were built before September 2014, but the VINs were likely in the system long in advance with the anticipation of building them as soon as the hardware was available.

How often is EV-CPO website incorrect when it says TP but actually has AP?

EV-CPO only reflects what data is on Tesla's own website. If a car is reporting as having any of these option codes, it has Autopilot and is reflected as such on EV-CPO.

TP03 (Tech Package with Autopilot)
TP02 (Tech Package with Autopilot)
DA02 (Autopilot Convenience Features)
DCF0 (Autopilot Convenience Features)

See the "Option Codes" tab on EV-cpo.com

EV-CPO only reflects what data is on Tesla's own website. If a car is reporting as having any of these option codes, it has Autopilot and is reflected as such on EV-CPO.

TP03 (Tech Package with Autopilot)
TP02 (Tech Package with Autopilot)
DA02 (Autopilot Convenience Features)
DCF0 (Autopilot Convenience Features)

See the "Option Codes" tab on EV-cpo.com

Hank, I can't get to the "options codes" tab on your website. How do I add a column?

What is the difference between

TP02
TP03

DA02
DCF0

As far as I can tell, none.

Hank, I can't get to the "options codes" tab on your website. How do I add a column?

Lower down on the home page is a horizontal bar that says "Options Codes".. this lists all the possible option codes that any car could have. This is available for everyone who is logged in.