Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP & Evasive Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since ap system is learning from real world by help of human drivers, do you think one day may it learn to take evasive action where necessary, ie in case of car fire on road, etc?

Also wondering if AP is capable of riding backwards in case of emergency?

Since ap system is learning from real world by help of human drivers, do you think one day may it learn to take evasive action where necessary, ie in case of car fire on road, etc?
one day it surely could be possible, who really knows what the limits are?
currently it is not possible

There are self driving model simulations not related to Tesla or autopilot and do naturally demonstrate evasive action. In less trained models they even evade to the point of going in a totally incorrect direction like off road into a wall haha.

There are self driving model simulations not related to Tesla or autopilot and do naturally demonstrate evasive action. In less trained models they even evade to the point of going in a totally incorrect direction like off road into a wall haha.

Then we may start thinking recent accidents with sudden self -acceleration of the car might be related to initial stages of evasive action training :)
The question is, who or what scared it? :D

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: mblakele and Johan
Then we may start thinking recent accidents with sudden self -acceleration of the car might be related to initial stages of evasive action training :)
The question is, who or what scared it? :D
haha, I was thinking about the sudden acceleration thing today and I'm convinced that it's simply people hitting the wrong pedal. When there's no loud engine noise they just assume they were correctly on the brake and the car magically accelerated on its own.

Reactions: Roger_wilco
Given that self parking uses both forward and reverse, certainly the new AP and probably the old AP is capable of moving in both directions. I haven't seen anything to indicate that they will go so far as moving backwards to avoid a collision, but I would expect full autonomous mode would. It's a common enough avoidance technique, and the software could do it much better than I could.

haha, I was thinking about the sudden acceleration thing today and I'm convinced that it's simply people hitting the wrong pedal. When there's no loud engine noise they just assume they were correctly on the brake and the car magically accelerated on its own.

Which is why the creep mode is useful. Your foot has to be on brake to stop the car.

It also has an added bonus of having the break lights on when stopped, such as at a red light. Again, it's safer overall.

I concluded on the same. But I believe Tesla can arrange something to prevent this happen again. Like a different kind of friction on the gas pedal or an audio signal on sudden press of break, etc.. Or, simply introduce an Eco mode, prevents Immediate response of gas pedal.

Last edited:
In this 2015 talk Sterling Anderson presented a simulation of a car actively avoiding a potential collision by changing lanes and passing another car. Anderson heads up the AP program, so it's reasonable to expect some of his research to show up in future iterations of AP.

(With apologies to anyone who already saw this via Level 5 nightmares).

In this 2015 talk Sterling Anderson presented a simulation of a car actively avoiding a potential collision by changing lanes and passing another car. Anderson heads up the AP program, so it's reasonable to expect some of his research to show up in future iterations of AP.

(With apologies to anyone who already saw this via Level 5 nightmares).
The video is still good. I may watch it twice. I feel better with this guy at the helm.

Reactions: mblakele
Given that self parking uses both forward and reverse, certainly the new AP and probably the old AP is capable of moving in both directions. I haven't seen anything to indicate that they will go so far as moving backwards to avoid a collision, but I would expect full autonomous mode would. It's a common enough avoidance technique, and the software could do it much better than I could.

Old AP has no camera or radar backwards. It wouldn't be able to do much with so little "visibility".

New AP has cameras, but not the same type. No radar. Might be able to do a bit more backwards, but not normal speed driving.

Old AP has no camera or radar backwards. It wouldn't be able to do much with so little "visibility".

New AP has cameras, but not the same type. No radar. Might be able to do a bit more backwards, but not normal speed driving.

Agree on this. With new hadware, there may be a limited ability to go backwards. In emergency cases, it might become a lifesaver. Its possible to think on some critical scenarios. A command to let car drive backwards 300 feet, to get away from a threat on the road. Or ability to pull over, forward or reverse, in case if driver becomes unconscious, may hit to an emergency button as a last resort. Car parks to side and makes a video call to 911, to show whats going on, etc..

(I guess I should wait for ap3 :cool:)

Agree on this. With new hadware, there may be a limited ability to go backwards. In emergency cases, it might become a lifesaver. Its possible to think on some critical scenarios. A command to let car drive backwards 300 feet, to get away from a threat on the road. Or ability to pull over, forward or reverse, in case if driver becomes unconscious, may hit to an emergency button as a last resort. Car parks to side and makes a video call to 911, to show whats going on, etc..

(I guess I should wait for ap3 :cool:)
The car then rescues a girl from a burning building too right? :)

There might be some unrealistic expectations of self driving cars... or about what level 5 means.

Here's what you want:

latest

The car then rescues a girl from a burning building too right? :)

There might be some unrealistic expectations of self driving cars... or about what level 5 means.

Here's what you want:

latest

Dont you think we are half way there, already ? (ok, I am excluding the turbo boost from todo list).

I strongly believe that all these things are products of our unrealistic expectations.

Personally, I will continue to expect the unexpected.

Dont you think we are half way there, already ? (ok, I am excluding the turbo boost from todo list).

I strongly believe that all these things are products of our unrealistic expectations.

Personally, I will continue to expect the unexpected.
Well, we are heading toward level 5 self driving which technically only has to drive from point A to point B without human intervention. It doesn't need to even pick out it's own point A or point B to be level 5.

Well, we are heading toward level 5 self driving which technically only has to drive from point A to point B without human intervention. It doesn't need to even pick out it's own point A or point B to be level 5.

I dont think they will be called as car, after some point. See Google's egg. And when our expectations on "how a car should look like" once excluded from equation, level number will become a technical issue.

I dont think they will be called as car, after some point. See Google's egg. And when our expectations on "how a car should look like" once excluded from equation, level number will become a technical issue.
I think you are talking about a time at minimum three decades away and that's assuming humans don't revolt against our new robot overlords. ;)

I think you are talking about a time at minimum three decades away and that's assuming humans don't revolt against our new robot overlords. ;)

Our current overlords will be very pleased with ban of latest human driver from traffic, just not sure if we can see this. I heard going from A to B as a straight line with AP is not yet restricted in Mars. Can be a good selling point ;);)