Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP gone on drive home today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is working again for me today after being unavailable all day yesterday despite numerous reboots and power offs. Crossing my fingers it doesn't disappear again.

I wonder if disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a minute or two and reconnecting it would fix this at least temporarily? The "power off" option in the car menus doesn't actually seem to completely power off the car.

I'm going on about a week now without AP and my headlights being on during the day despite being set to Auto.

I'm not close to a service center (Buffalo) and it has been impossible to get in touch with the mobile tech in the area.

Any advice on how to actually get in touch with them to schedule a mobile tech instead of a service center that's 200 miles away?

My husband lost his AP the other day on his MS while driving (2019.16.2) and asked me to check the forum to see if anyone else reported same. He had updated his software a few days before but not done any highway driving (so no AP usage). Sure enough others there had similar issue and also mentioned headlights and wipers I think. Someone said they turned their Sentry Mode setting on the car off and they got AP back and were able to turn Sentry back on again with no issues afterwards. Another reported that worked for him too. Husband tried it...and it worked....so give it a try.

Here's the link to the Model S forum thread and you'll see it's the same issues you guys have reported:
2019.16.2 Disables Autopilot, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers and Auto Headlights

Last edited:
My husband lost his AP the other day on his MS while driving (2019.16.2) and asked me to check the forum to see if anyone else reported same. He had updated his software a few days before but not done any highway driving (so no AP usage). Sure enough others there had similar issue and also mentioned headlights and wipers I think. Someone said they turned their Sentry Mode setting on the car off and they got AP back and were able to turn Sentry back on again with no issues afterwards. Another reported that worked for him too. Husband tried it...and it worked....so give it a try.

Here's the link to the Model S forum thread and you'll see it's the same issues you guys have reported:
2019.16.2 Disables Autopilot, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers and Auto Headlights

Interesting. I just gave it a shot. Didn't immediately fix it but I'll leave it overnight and hopefully that does the trick.

View attachment 405177 running 2019.12.1.2 and haven’t had any issues. Today on my way home from the office I had no AP, Cruise, my headlights were on, and no speed or cars around me showing up. Tried rebooting, stopped and powered down and no change. What’s up?
It happened to me this morning. Everything came back normal after the vehicle was parked about 20 minutes. Firmware 2019.20.4.2