Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP in Fog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the OP gets the idea at this point.

I do get the intent of his post, that even in poor visibility sometimes AP seems to track and see better than the human driver. I’ve done many trips through dense fog and rain up the i5 and have been surprised at its ability to lane keep, albeit I was driving slower. While it is a driving assist, I have noticed in certain situations it has decreased the stress of driving in adverse conditions. With the usual caveat of knowing limitations and paying close attention.

Interesting how everybody is talking about how dangerous this is, and how much AP is unsafe in these conditions, but all of the AP data proves those theories incorrect. It is statistically safer to drive with AP activated than without. And for the fellow who posted the link to the article about the firetruck accident, I could 1000-fold you articles about crashes and pile-ups in the fog.

I don't believe using AP in these conditions was what made it unsafe. What made it unsafe was the speed he was going was excessive for the conditions as described. People need to keep their speed in line with what they can actually see.

As to using AP in bad weather conditions I don't have a good answer.

A few weeks ago I was driving manually, and hit a body of water that splashed on my windshield so I couldn't see forwards for a few seconds. During those few seconds I wrongly slowed down. I didn't hydroplane, but I was annoyed that I didn't react the way I should have. I should have maintained speed/heading through the incident instead of immediately taking my foot off the accelerator.

I wondered how AP would have handled the incident.

I've read stories about Teslas hydroplaning and skidding across lanes that were on AP. So I'm not sure I'd trust it in situations like that.

I think the OP gets the idea at this point.

I do get the intent of his post, that even in poor visibility sometimes AP seems to track and see better than the human driver. I’ve done many trips through dense fog and rain up the i5 and have been surprised at its ability to lane keep, albeit I was driving slower. While it is a driving assist, I have noticed in certain situations it has decreased the stress of driving in adverse conditions. With the usual caveat of knowing limitations and paying close attention.

Did you use it during the 3-day river cloud thing that we experienced a couple weeks ago?

How did it handle the times where the standing water drenches the car so you can't see anything?

Interesting how everybody is talking about how dangerous this is, and how much AP is unsafe in these conditions, but all of the AP data proves those theories incorrect. It is statistically safer to drive with AP activated than without.
Where can we find the specific data related to AP usage with 10 meters of visibility while driving at 68 mph? It doesn't exist. You can't lump all the previously gathered AP data and conclude that the OP's choice was safe. His overconfidence with current AP has the makings of another negative headline.

All I can say is that I felt much safer letting the car drive - it could clearly see better than I ,
The highway was empty, I was alert and more relaxed.
normal speeds are 130 to 150. When I am driving at the posted limit of 120 I am being either tailgated by a smart car or being overtaking by agressive service vans. I have seen lots of rear end accidents.
All points taken, I should have set AP to a slower speed

Reactions: ahkahn
Where can we find the specific data related to AP usage with 10 meters of visibility while driving at 68 mph? It doesn't exist. You can't lump all the previously gathered AP data and conclude that the OP's choice was safe. His overconfidence with current AP has the makings of another negative headline.

That's a rhetorical question. You're suggesting that I can't lump factual data into this scenario, but yet you are claiming your assumptions as fact. You may be correct, but at the same time there is no statistical data either proving or disproving low-visibility AP, other than the fact that the radar can indeed see through the fog, and our eyes cannot.