Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP just sent me under a truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily not at the same angle as the other guy.

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis. The container was at almost the height of my roof, so ultrasonics probably did not ping anything.

I expect better by now. Keep your eyes on the road.

I'm sure it was nerve-wracking at the time, did you happen to take a glance of your screen, was the truck displayed next to you on the screen?

I did an 1100 mile road trip this week and AP at times was also keeping me way to close to the semis next to me (driver side) to my comfort, however I always saw it on my screen next to me (I paid close attention to this as I was trying to judge/test AP's abilities), so I don't think there was any danger of the car trying to do a lane change like yours did there in the footage. I had to wrestle AP to get my car away a few times from the semis as it was getting way too close for my personal comfort.

What software version are you on @superbaka ? I don't think side collision avoidance was a feature until 12.16. This also looks like a case where two lanes merge into one? AP may have been staying the course while the truck merged into you.

There was a video on here earlier where some guy let a dump truck that was drifting into his lane bend the side mirror back in the name of "testing Autopilot." Glad you took over before anything happened!

Forgot to mention : 12.1.2

I merge on this route every day and there are many trucks (interstate 5, from mexico to canada). I didn't catch what was happening on the display because I was watching every inch to see how close it would get. But, up the road, it seemed to display that truck as only the front portion of the "mid size" truck and not a long semi graphic..so something was amiss.

Ordinarily the merge is very good, immediately throwing me behind or in front of the neighboring traffic. I think it just wasn't recognized...

Luckily not at the same angle as the other guy.

I was watching and there was no sign of recognizing it at all. The first sign something was wrong was that it did not negotiate a place in front or behind the truck as usual during merging.

I took over as the side mirror was passing under the chassis. The container was at almost the height of my roof, so ultrasonics probably did not ping anything.

I expect better by now. Keep your eyes on the road.

You really need to read your owners manual and understand the limitations of Autopilot, and understand what features are/are not part of your firmware. Cliff note version: Beta software. Not FSD.

If you took control of the wheel and aborted AP, the video is automatically sent to Tesla.

I think that's been more or less demonstrated to be false unless Tesla has a specific trigger they're monitoring.

Link sources please. I was too stupid to understand the autonomy day stuff so I zoned out but I heard something about disengagement’s being monitored in some way?

You really need to read your owners manual and understand the limitations of Autopilot, and understand what features are/are not part of your firmware. Cliff note version: Beta software. Not FSD.
and be patient. FSD will be feature complete this year and fully autonomous next year. in just months you will be able to sleep in your vehicle

Link sources please. I was too stupid to understand the autonomy day stuff so I zoned out but I heard something about disengagement’s being monitored in some way?

It's all over the place and I'm on mobile at the moment, but it's all here (and maybe Twitter and Reddit as well). Search for stuff from verygreen. He has root and frequently posts about what he monitors. Granted he's a sample of one, but his info seems pretty definitive and basically acknowledged in Tesla's statements - though Tesla is intentionally vague and over-optimistic.

IIRC, when you override AP, it flags the clip for searches when they're looking for specific type of data to train the NN. I got the impression that it doesn't send anything unless that specific type of situation is being searched for. I might be wrong but I'd still send a report on your profile page on the website in any case.

Reactions: azred and bhzmark