Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP + Potholes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hopefully they can work that out in AP2. rolling around on potholes with 20" wheels doesn't sound ideal o_O

I wonder how difficult pothole avoidance is? The more I think about it, the more difficult I see that problem. You can't just go by something like a color difference, as that could just as easily be a patch or stain as a pothole.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud. As long as it's done safely, there's not much concern in avoiding something that is harmless (but I suppose that "safely" thing is part of the trick).

Rock avoidance is also an issue. Recently I came across a boulder that had fallen on the road as I rounded a curve. Do you panic stop? Swerve into the oncoming lane, traffic permitting? I expect that with large rocks AP will just brake. But what about the smaller rocks that I routinely see and realize that I can safely straddle? Braking for every little rock could become a problem. Here in the Mountain West they don't call our mountains the "Rockies" for nothing... Winter and Spring is rock season here due to freeze/thaw.

(I swerved around the rock since there was no traffic in the oncoming lane. I then turned around and went back to deal with it but someone else had stopped — emergency flashers on — and was sliding it off the road as best he could.)