Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot Full Self Driving Month Trial April 2024. Pretty Good!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my free 1 month trial today of Tesla FSD 12.3.2.1 on my 2023 MX LR with AP HW4.
I currently have EAP but previously had a 3 month trial of an older spec FSD.
Tried it local and highway so far with a bunch of trips today in the dry and rain.

IMHO. Its like my 15-16yo kid driving. Pretty good! Pretty safe! Far less errors than my prior FSD trial.
Prior FSD trial was 98% accurate but I always intervened once or twice a trip.
Current FSD has so far been >99% accurate. Ive only intervened once after several trips.

I dont like:
Hitting potholes here in Chicago.
Stopping 4 feet from stop sign and creeping and stopping again.
Waiting for really large gap to merge onto highway.
Doesnt always achieve max speed that i set depending on conditions.

None of the above are killer. Just annoyed like watching my teenage kids drive.
Most importantly it was safe. Finally FSD!
Just read the recent posts and was surprised by a few comments. From what I had read elsewhere the free trial would not be going to those who, like me, had tried it previously. Now waiting for my free trial notification.

I got the 2022 X with AP and was so disappointed when changing lanes because my 2016 X worked great, changing lanes simply by using the turn stalks. I couldn’t stand the operation so paid $6k for EAP. Now, how do you want lane changing to work, is an option. Either change lanes automatically or always ask me if I want to change lanes. I chose to ask me.

For those who love FSD, please tell me if I can achieve what I want to do. I live in a rural area just on the edge of town and would like FSD to take me to the hospital. It is about two miles through town stopping at stop signs and making right and left turns. No, I wouldn’t pay $12,000 for this one ride but I would consider an immediate FSD monthly subscription. Possible?

Reactions: JMGNC
Just read the recent posts and was surprised by a few comments. From what I had read elsewhere the free trial would not be going to those who, like me, had tried it previously. Now waiting for my free trial notification.

I got the 2022 X with AP and was so disappointed when changing lanes because my 2016 X worked great, changing lanes simply by using the turn stalks. I couldn’t stand the operation so paid $6k for EAP. Now, how do you want lane changing to work, is an option. Either change lanes automatically or always ask me if I want to change lanes. I chose to ask me.

For those who love FSD, please tell me if I can achieve what I want to do. I live in a rural area just on the edge of town and would like FSD to take me to the hospital. It is about two miles through town stopping at stop signs and making right and left turns. No, I wouldn’t pay $12,000 for this one ride but I would consider an immediate FSD monthly subscription. Possible?
It should perform that task, with no issue. It has been able to that much for years now. The current version, now just rolling out, is much more natural and human like.

Newport Oregon to Bend Oregon

Received my FSD update this weekend and was able to test it out on my drive from Newport to Bend. This drive follows US-20 thru the Cascade Mountains which is 2-lanes and has a lot of hairpin, 30-mph turns so I felt would be a great test. I last used FSD several years ago on my 2019 Model S and I learned to trust it on freeways but 2-lane highways made me nervous and curvy roads were terrifying because FSD preferred crossing the center line rather than slowing down to negotiate a tight curve.

FSD’s performance was much improved on this test. Being cautious, I set my max speed to the speed limit, 55 mph, rather than my standard +5, so I had to use the turnouts every so often to let the 65 mph traffic pass. In general, FSD slowed to approximately 5 mph faster than the yellow caution signs recommended which made the curves very comfortable but not unreasonably slow and it accelerated briskly back up to 55 after exiting the curve. US-20 thru the highest part of the Cascades still had a lot of snow along the roadside and the white stripe along the side was often covered with snow or gravel. But even with this, FSD simply hugged the center strip until the white stripe reappeared and it then moved to the center of the lane.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with the improvements.

It should perform that task, with no issue. It has been able to that much for years now. The current version, now just rolling out, is much more natural and human like.

Don't get his hopes up. Bear in mind he lives in Wisconsin, where, like ND, it's snow half the year. The drive may finish off what the need for the hospital started.

Sorry JD. I'm probably about as old as you. I used to think my Tesla could drive 100 miles round trip and pick up my mother, now 90, and bring her here. (Ignore the fact that she says she'd refuse to do that.) There's a good chance I may be dead before my Tesla could do that.

Don't get his hopes up. Bear in mind he lives in Wisconsin, where, like ND, it's snow half the year. The drive may finish off what the need for the hospital started.

Sorry JD. I'm probably about as old as you. I used to think my Tesla could drive 100 miles round trip and pick up my mother, now 90, and bring her here. (Ignore the fact that she says she'd refuse to do that.) There's a good chance I may be dead before my Tesla could do that.
No high hopes, I have 11 years of experience with Tesla and their predictions. My drive to hospital was just an example (but at age 89 there is that possibility). I could have said, what if I had one too many and I want it to take me home? :)

Reactions: towndrunk
Drove it for about 2-3 hours around town and on the highway and plenty of parts in town.

While it has improved quite a bit, I feel like for me, its novelty would wear off within a few days and I’d be back to driving my own car by myself because “it is just easier that way”.

However, with the kind of data it harvests and the algorithms that continue to get created along with AI processing, I’d welcome the accident prevention / damage mitigation assistance which should hopefully continue to get better to help me while I’m the one driving the car. That is what excites me the most about all this. Heightened computer assistance to detect and prevent accidents. I don’t really care about someone else driving it.

Last edited:
While it has improved quite a bit, I feel like for me, its novelty would wear off within a few days and I’d be back to driving my own car by myself because “it is just easier that way”.
I feel almost the same way. I am truly fascinated with the full FSD which works well for my daily driving.
Let's see how many days the fun wears out. Anyway, I won't have full FSD anymore on May-01 !!!
So, I better try just the basic Autopilot now to see what will be in May-01.

Do you guys have autopark? The update claims it but Havent figured out how to enable it ? 2023 mx lr
I think you have to go into your screen to approve Summons and such.
Go to controls, Autopilot, and look for submenus. Read them all and set appropriately. It all should work after that if you are in "safe" conditions to do so.
Summons would not work for me until I did that. But afterwards it all was working, including the auto park function.
To use Auto park, pull up past your spot, put it into reverse. The screen will ask you if you want to auto park. Press it and the fun begins.

If you have it, It is always enabled. You drive very slowly through a parking lot, when it detects a spot, it brings up a "P" on the display
little getting use to, but intuitive and it works
personally, I dont know why I would use it for in our family with 3x Ts, the rule is "park away"
farthest spot in the parking lot with no one next to you, no dings
Smart Summon will be valuable, esp for picking you up from that far spot esp when raining
looking forward to it
ASS

I tried my free FSD trial for the first time today on my 2024 MX LR. Having never used anything other than standard Autopilot (former 2019 M3 owner), I was honestly shocked how well it worked. It drove from my home to my parents home (about a 40 minute drive, no highways) without me ever having to take over. Agree that stop signs were the most uncomfortable part if there was a car behind me. Question - Is it possible to have the FSD visualization on the main center screen versus only the smaller driver side screen?
There is a slider on the edge of the small screen that you can slide all the way across to get full screen visualisation.

I think you have to go into your screen to approve Summons and such.
Go to controls, Autopilot, and look for submenus. Read them all and set appropriately. It all should work after that if you are in "safe" conditions to do so.
Summons would not work for me until I did that. But afterwards it all was working, including the auto park function.
To use Auto park, pull up past your spot, put it into reverse. The screen will ask you if you want to auto park. Press it and the fun begins.
I went to autopilot menu and there was no summons etc 😭 I have paid fsd

Got the 30 day, and it is amazing tech, but ultimately useless in a city. The car thinks like a computer, not a human, and that’s the problem (Musk observation somewhere there lol). It creates issues around you with other drivers, is erratic in decision making (due to the human based interactions around it), and always seems to be going 5 mph slower than everyone else.

Again, amazing tech, but not very useful and I would never pay extra for it.
The Trial is not yet available ( Wash DC area), but it is helpful yo trad all your comments.

So, I better try just the basic Autopilot now to see what will be in May-01.
I disabled the FSD and go back to basic Auto Pilot. The screen display reverts back to what I had, no surprise.
The unpleasant part is that I have frequent phantom braking (that I never had before) on my routine routes.
The new software gets worst for basic Auto Pilot while FSD is amazing.