Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 90D Trade to New Model 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opinions on switching out the dated X for a new performance 3? Anyone switch and very happy? Thinking of making a change and worried the S/X might be getting a refresh or new features. So 3 is kind of the only opion unless we wait for the Y.

I have both and would not trade my X for the P3D. In fact I want to replace my X with a X Performance when the time comes. Granted I have a 100D with mcu2 and AP2.5 so it’s different. Besides dashcam/sentry AP2.5 isn’t any better. I don’t use Navigate on AP as it’s pretty useless currently.

Why would you trade in what is essentially is one of the best cars on the road for a cut price saloon?

Am not sure why you think any X is out of date? Just think how do you use your car....

First thing you get in, the X wins hands down, powered doors and than to be greeted by that amazing windscreen. If you have kids the rear doors are a God send.

Than you pull away, the X has a fantastic driving position, add in air suspension, proper dash display, heated steering wheel, surely there is no comparison.

Now you want to carry some people/stuff...Its like comparing a yacht to a inflatable. Full sized single mattress+bed, and weekend luggage whilst not having to move a rear facing child seat (with child in it), no problems for the X....can you even fit a mattress in the 3 forget the other stuff??

We are going to get a 3 to complement the X, if we were serious about replacing the X I would get a newly discounted Performance X over any 3.

Main reason for this is that we’re approaching the warranty expiration. So we drop money on the ESA, or update to a newer Tesla with current tech and engineering. Then consider the X or Y post a potential refresh and release.

We can get by with the 3, not terrible and we see the small sacrifices for our personal tastes to switch. If we were to add on then it would be dandy, but right now the worry of the early build X is making us consider another path.

Why would you trade in what is essentially is one of the best cars on the road for a cut price saloon?

Am not sure why you think any X is out of date? Just think how do you use your car....

First thing you get in, the X wins hands down, powered doors and than to be greeted by that amazing windscreen. If you have kids the rear doors are a God send.

Than you pull away, the X has a fantastic driving position, add in air suspension, proper dash display, heated steering wheel, surely there is no comparison.

Now you want to carry some people/stuff...Its like comparing a yacht to a inflatable. Full sized single mattress+bed, and weekend luggage whilst not having to move a rear facing child seat (with child in it), no problems for the X....can you even fit a mattress in the 3 forget the other stuff??

We are going to get a 3 to complement the X, if we were serious about replacing the X I would get a newly discounted Performance X over any 3.
For sure. Aside from all of those fantastic parts and features all having broken down and replaced at some point, they’re still not as solid as new builds. Loaners and show rooms vehicles build quality and all is very different once you pay attention. With the potential large bills post warranty and ESA we’ve been thinking of getting something more recent before taking another huge dive into a six figure car that also depraciates this bad. We’d love a new performance X, but don’t want to write another 50K+ check to stay positive when a potential refresh is more likely now.

Our 2017 build X has been pretty good at 20k. Only issues were/are delivery ones. Am quite happy to keep ours till the battery warranty is done. Wouldn't be taking out extended warranty.

We had x3 under 5s in ours 6 seater today. Post kids party home drop off, lots of potential for sugar fuelled tantrums/come downs, but thanks to Spotify every one was happy. No way a 3 would have been as easy/chilled.

For us the X is simply unbeatable as a family car.

Last edited:
The timing game is especially hard with Tesla. We never know when new models and features will drop. We cannot count on them being introduced at the beginning of a model year. Plus, there are price changes!

My X has been great in 20,000 miles. Tires are expensive and harder to find.

I just got the software update enabling Romance Mode and “Fartronic.” My life is complete! :)

I am returning my current X. I had a choice to order a new P3 or X. After thinking about it long and hard, I decided to stay with the X as I really don't need a performance vehicle to shuttle my family. The X is an overkill too, but it's good to know I have a 6 seater if I really need to use it. All the extra room for road trip is nice. I took my son for a ski trip, we packed everything. We were able to change in the car.

I am returning my current X. I had a choice to order a new P3 or X. After thinking about it long and hard, I decided to stay with the X as I really don't need a performance vehicle to shuttle my family. The X is an overkill too, but it's good to know I have a 6 seater if I really need to use it. All the extra room for road trip is nice. I took my son for a ski trip, we packed everything. We were able to change in the car.

I agree, the X is a super comfortable, spacious and airy place to sit and that would be hard to give up on a daily basis. I love the panoramic windscreen too. I see the P3 more as a sports car, even though it is quite practical in its own right. Just completely different cars and not really directly comparable. It's like trying to decide between a Porsche Cayenne and a 911. Do you want the space, luxury and practicality of a large SUV or sports car handling performance?