Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1: AP vs TACC vs different days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this has been beat to death here or not as I didn't see much from a casual search so apologies in advance ...

Has anyone noticed differences in driving dynamics between TACC and AP in the same situations? I've noticed it quite a lot lately. TACC has been more aggressive for me in terms of acceleration, slowing/braking, etc. AP drives a little calmer, but I really dislike the way it tends to follow bad drivers in front of you (like if they are drifting all around the lane in heavy traffic, etc). And from day to day I see a big difference in the way both tackle my daily commute. One day they are pretty mellow, the next day very aggressive. I'm not sure if I'm fooling myself or not but it really seems like the case, sometimes I even disengage and then re-engage when it is being too aggressive.

Is it just me losing it or have others had similar experiences? AP1 car in case you didn't see it in the topic.

Maybe try setting a higher distance number?

It's not a matter of different distance numbers, what I'm seeing is that even with the same distance number ACC and AP behave differently. Also with the exact same distance number. TACC is most often more aggressive in terms of acceleration and braking where AP is a bit more mellow.

Also from day to day it's very different for either option. Some days the car drives very aggressively, speeding up and braking aggressively where other days, with the exact same distance setting it drives more mellow with gradual speed up and slow down slopes. On those more Mad Max type of days it also seems to carry across TACC and AP, TACC is still more aggressive in general, but even AP on those days can be more mad max than I'd like. In those situations I generally do increase the distance setting but it rarely makes a big difference ... but sometimes I switch to "Chill" and it seems to help a bit at least on the take off (but often still brakes more rapidly than I would like). I'm just always worried that some idiot behind me will be following to close or not paying attention and end up rear-ending me. It's come close a few times even when the car is not having a Mad Max kind of day.

Im on 2018.50.6 (for 39 days) and have not observered any difference between TACC and AP driving.

Hmm that's interesting. I'm on the same version for a few months and definitely seems to be different between the two -- or maybe I'm imagining things ... On another note do you see different behaviour on different days? I'm just wondering if there's something odd with my setup and I should ask service about it before my warranty expires ...

I use both every day on the same ' challenging' route and no determinable differences between the two modes or day-to-day. I do have weird variations of perceived legal speed limit for different unmarked ( aka no signage, default speed limit) sections from day-to-day

I'm going to have to pay much closer attention to things and see if this is still something that's ongoing for me. I also realized that I recently had the front camera replaced after repeated failures not all that long ago, so maybe this stuff was a symptom of that ... today things seemed totally normal between AP and TACC (I have sections where I have to switch to TACC unless I want to run through some really rough spots/nasty potholes, so I get to do a direct sample every morning for at least that one stretch until they repair things).

Also my car still tries to follow bad drivers when in AP (i.e. drifting all over lanes and sometimes it even tries to start to follow cars out of lanes when they do a lane change in front of me) -- so when I'm stuck behind someone that can't keep themselves centered I go from AP to TACC as well.

Reactions: James99