Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ap1 lane change in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, What’s the latest situation with using the manually indicated auto lane change on AP1 cars in the UK?

The friend I sold my AP1 car to a couple of years ago says it no longer works at all? Trying to help him sort out if it’s an issue with the car or the software.

Thanks.

Anyone? I’m assuming there are still AP1 cars on the road on this forum:)
Works fine for me - indicate manually when on autopilot and it moves across. Shimples. :)
Manages it most of the time, obvs not when it thinks its not safe and will time out after a few seconds if it can't complete it. Its certainly not as good as it used to be but I understand that's due to the regulation restrictions and live in hope of them being relaxed again sometime. :)

Not sure if its always been there, but might not be as it took a while to suss it. Lane change will not occur unless the car has detected hands present on the wheel at the start of the manoeuvre. But the nag is not as obvious as the regular one. Easy to miss. I've had many a lane change timeout because the car was waiting to confirm that my hands were on the wheel. Often needs a little hand wiggle for it to notice.

So per my original question, I took said old AP1 car (sold to a friend - never a good idea) for a drive and observed that:
- indeed the manually indicated lane change no longer works on some roads, including divided A-roads, that it previous worked on. Now only works on motorways
- TACC AP1 is STILL a dammed sight more stable than AP2.5! Absolutely no phantom braking and seemed to hold middle of the lane a lot better on the motorway in traffic, even though of course it doesn’t have the new visualization.
- AP1 picked up - and adjusted for - variable speed limits from the overhead gantries
-I want it back....

Last edited: