Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have a 2023 MY and I'm wondering if its just my MY or if this is an issue for others too... When in enhanced cruise control with auto steering I find that the slightest movement on the steeling wheel dis-engages the auto steer. Its really noticable when changing lanes, I enable the indicator and the screens says to move the steering wheel to make the lane change yet the slightest movement of the steering wheel dis-engages the auto steer leaving me to change lanes manually. Its gotten to the point where enabling the auto steer is pointless so thats one big feature of the car unusable. I should note that I only use this feature on Motorways and not B roads.

So is this something I should report to a SC or is there a way to make the steering less sensative?

Doesn’t sound like you have the enhanced autopilot option. Without that you don’t get auto lane change and any pressure on the steering wheel when you indicate will disengage autosteer.

Sounds like EAP to me, you need to indicate presence before the auto lane change.

it's a bit hard to say whether what you are experiencing is normal or not. When I was new I would keep accidentally disengaging AP but I don't anymore as I became used to it. Not sure how we can judge whether your sensitivity is off unless you know another Tesla driver or raise a service ticket.

Hey all,

I have a 2023 MY and I'm wondering if its just my MY or if this is an issue for others too... When in enhanced cruise control with auto steering I find that the slightest movement on the steeling wheel dis-engages the auto steer. Its really noticable when changing lanes, I enable the indicator and the screens says to move the steering wheel to make the lane change yet the slightest movement of the steering wheel dis-engages the auto steer leaving me to change lanes manually. Its gotten to the point where enabling the auto steer is pointless so thats one big feature of the car unusable. I should note that I only use this feature on Motorways and not B roads.

So is this something I should report to a SC or is there a way to make the steering less sensative?
Your description sounds like you have enabled TACC & Autosteer - however, normally that message on the screen doesn’t come when there is no EAP. Not sure whether you have to do anythingelse to engage that in EAP as I do not have that. Good to hear from members who have EAP - or read the manual related to this. If continues to have issues contact SC.

I've got EAP in a December 2022 Model 3. My experience at the outset was a lot like yours.

There are three kinds of lane-change. 'Request lane change to follow route', which is what it says when it wants you to take a slip road off the road you are on works on indicator alone - if you try to manually assist you will cancel autosteer - though traffic aware cruise control will stay on.

Lane changes into faster lane or out of passing lane will require that you confirm with indicator and a very fine nudge of the steering wheel. It's something you have to practice because it's very easy to be just that little bit too heavy. Once the lane change has started I often let go of the wheel until it's done, as I have had instances of the car hitting a bump causing the wheel to move against my grip enough to abort the manoeuvre.

Driver initiated lane changes require that you put the indicator on full - if you only go half way to the three flash point they abort - and then give the very slight nudge.

After 3 or 4 months I had mastered it but even now there can be some days when it all goes wrong. Even that's not that great a problem - just get the car into the lane you want and a double push down on the gear stalk makes it all work again (usually!)

Tesla are in a bit of a lose-lose situation here. They have to follow the UNECE regulation that says discretionary lane changes have to be confirmed by the driver by indicator and by steering input but also produce a system where the driver can resume control at any moment. Hopefully there will be changes to this soon and we'll get the North American system whereby indicator is enough.

For the moment, it's just a matter of practice. Find a stretch of empty-ish motorway (if such a thing still exists) and lane change back and forward until you get the knack.

Sorry for the late reply, my PC decided to fail and I've only just managed to get it fixed.

I have Enhanced Autopilot on my Model Y, and aq42 wrote my issue better than I did, lol... I just find any tiny touch of the wheel dis-engages the auto-steer regardless of how gentle I am. Its so sensative that its almost impossible to use and so I asked if it was just my car but judging from the replies Tesla need to make the steering less sensative.

Hey all,

try changing the steering option from comfort or standard to sport. As well as making the steering a bit firmer I find it allows you to be a little rougher with your “yes I’m still holding the wheel“ input without disengaging the autosteerimg.
also pulling on the wheel just before indicating also works

Sorry for the late reply, my PC decided to fail and I've only just managed to get it fixed.

I have Enhanced Autopilot on my Model Y, and aq42 wrote my issue better than I did, lol... I just find any tiny touch of the wheel dis-engages the auto-steer regardless of how gentle I am. Its so sensative that its almost impossible to use and so I asked if it was just my car but judging from the replies Tesla need to make the steering less sensative.
The weight of my arm is normally enough, you don't have to actually turn the wheel. I generally just put my weight on the right side, although direction of weight is unimportant and not related to the direction you wish the car to go in.

I.e. just hang my right arm by the thumb

Reactions: Adopado