Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 no autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening my new friends. I bought a used 2016 Tesla Model S - AP1 and the autopilot works for the most part. It doesn’t auto steer when enabled. On the dash, I can see that it detects the lanes.

I took it to Tesla Service and they said that the previous owner painted over the sensors and that it would be about $1,000 to replace all of the sensors. They claimed that was the reason why AP1 wasn’t working. I tried to have my friend walk around it and I could see that the sensors were working all the way around. Also, when I try to park my car in the garage, I can see that the sensors are working.

I even tried to take off all of the paint on the sensors as well. It changed nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Stupid question - are you engaging Autopilot by pulling the cruise control stalk towards you twice (car will bing and lane markers in the visualization will turn blue along with the steering wheel icon)? If you don't do that (e.g. if you only move the stalk up or down), it activates standard traffic aware cruise control that will speed up/slow down but won't steer the car.

Also be sure that autosteer is enabled in the setting screen.

I believe the lane guidance/turning is facilitated by the front camera so you want to be sure that area is clean as well.

I don't know why I can't get over this, I can't believe that they wouldnt at least take your car out and see what the issue is... they didnt even try to engage autopilot. I'm blown away. This is why I try to do work on my own cars... scumbag car dealerships and mechanic shops trying to steal money from customers. I'm so glad we could help you out and you weren't the victim of dealership robbery.

Reactions: cachorro
So your car is just out of warranty? No test drive to check your complaint? That is disgusting! I agree with all on here, but i would add, if you have the time, maybe an interview with the service manager at the facility you took it to, and failing that a written complaint to head office. If they dont know, they cant fix!