Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 after update to 39.6: Failure to detect empty car trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday had AP2 going after 39.6 update, everything seemed great until I got behind an SUV with what appeared to be a relatively low car trailer in tow. We got to a light, and AP2 slowed my 2017 Model S 75 D as it normally does, but it continued moving albeit slowly forward as if it did not detect the trailer. I am usually pretty vigilant when using AP so I braked well before hitting the trailer, but there is no doubt it would have hit without my intervention. I am not sure this is 39.6 specific as I don't think I have actually run into the exact situation previously, but I am interested in hearing if anyone else has encountered this. I am otherwise pleased with the update especially the blind spot detection.

Most likely too small radar reflection, very little surface of the trailer was facing you.
Limitations of the technology (beyond the scope of the radar, and not enough neural network training for optical recognition of the trailer.

The attached image that I found on the web is very similar to the trailer/hauler I almost ran into on Saturday, and yes I sent a report to Tesla customer service as soon as I got home.
Its interesting that this is in fact a known issue, just illustrates what most of us realize already that you need to be vigilant when using autopilot.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 63