Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the Drive PX 2 which we don't have a price for, the cameras are all around $100 and the radar is a few hundred. So hardware cost likely well under $1200 not counting the PX 2. Here's an older article:

Turns Out the Hardware in Self-Driving Cars Is Pretty Cheap

1200 seems awfully low to me. They're very likely to be using a higher end GPS unit that would be more than the 1200 you stated by itself. I'm honestly not sure how much margin Tesla has put into their 5k pricing for EAP. However much they're spending on a high accuracy gps, supposedly upgraded high definition ultrasonics, high quality cameras and radar, plus however much the Drive PX 2 chip costs, it might be pretty close to 5k. Maybe there's a nice chunk of margin there, or maybe it's close to cost with Tesla willing to eat some loss in exchange for the incredibly valuable data those sensors and cameras are supposed to be providing them.

I hope the billionaires at Tesla can / have the ability to ration pricing as those who will be the customer base of the M3.

I hope they don't think that the same customer base that the MS had is the same as the M3. I'm fairly confident that the lifestyles of those owning each car is on average very different.

I hope they price the M3 accordingly. $35K is a good start.

1200 seems awfully low to me. They're very likely to be using a higher end GPS unit that would be more than the 1200 you stated by itself. I'm honestly not sure how much margin Tesla has put into their 5k pricing for EAP. However much they're spending on a high accuracy gps, supposedly upgraded high definition ultrasonics, high quality cameras and radar, plus however much the Drive PX 2 chip costs, it might be pretty close to 5k. Maybe there's a nice chunk of margin there, or maybe it's close to cost with Tesla willing to eat some loss in exchange for the incredibly valuable data those sensors and cameras are supposed to be providing them.
Make sure you are clear that all the cars will have all the hardware, regardless if you pay an extra $5000 or $8000...

GPS is pretty inaccurate and honestly with mapping via radar and cameras combined with a GPS no better than your phone, it'd do fine. No need to waste money on a high end GPS.

Make sure you are clear that all the cars will have all the hardware, regardless if you pay an extra $5000 or $8000...

GPS is pretty inaccurate and honestly with mapping via radar and cameras combined with a GPS no better than your phone, it'd do fine. No need to waste money on a high end GPS.
Yeah, I'm being told that ALL cars will have the hardware whether you pay the extra $5K or $8K or just the plain $35K for the car.

That will make M3 production much simpler. One car produced...no matter what.

I'm typing this while waiting for the Powerwall Solar City announcement. They were supposed to start 10 minutes ago.
Anyone ever heard of Tesla being late for anything?

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK

I have an AP1 Model X, and the GPS is far more accurate than my iPhone 7. When using the Tesla app to track the car, I can tell which lane the car is in. On the iPhone, it can usually place you correctly on the road, but definitely not which lane.