Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment Installed Nema 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little over a month ago, I asked why apartment complex if I could install a NEMA 14-50 in my assigned garage space to charge my Model 3. I was more than willing to pay for the cost and has already scheduled a few estimates. The manager told me to hold off while she talked to corporate. Surprisingly to me, they offered to install the plug themselves with no additional charge to me. Maybe it helps they are still under construction with two additional buildings on site, but this was a pleasant surprise. Come home today and it was in. Now getting 24 MPH charge versus the 5 MPH on the standard 120V. Under the new set-up, it's pulling 204V at 32 amps. I'll take it! I don't drive more than 30-40 miles in a day but now I have an excuse to go to Denver more often and won't have to worry about stopping by a SC on the way home to top up. I am a very thankful tenant indeed.

A little over a month ago, I asked why apartment complex if I could install a NEMA 14-50 in my assigned garage space to charge my Model 3. I was more than willing to pay for the cost and has already scheduled a few estimates. The manager told me to hold off while she talked to corporate. Surprisingly to me, they offered to install the plug themselves with no additional charge to me. Maybe it helps they are still under construction with two additional buildings on site, but this was a pleasant surprise. Come home today and it was in. Now getting 24 MPH charge versus the 5 MPH on the standard 120V. Under the new set-up, it's pulling 204V at 32 amps. I'll take it! I don't drive more than 30-40 miles in a day but now I have an excuse to go to Denver more often and won't have to worry about stopping by a SC on the way home to top up. I am a very thankful tenant indeed.

Wow! Amazing! So whose electrical service is paying for the power?

Great to have clueful management that realize this is the future.

FWIW, with construction underway on other units they may have already had electricians on site and so adding the receptacle is not much work.

Frankly, EV charging is going to become a serious differentiator / amenity. Younger folks tend to live in apartments and are more likely to adopt EV’s.

Wow! Amazing! So whose electrical service is paying for the power?

Great to have clueful management that realize this is the future.

FWIW, with construction underway on other units they may have already had electricians on site and so adding the receptacle is not much work.

Frankly, EV charging is going to become a serious differentiator / amenity. Younger folks tend to live in apartments and are more likely to adopt EV’s.
It is coming from their "house" electrical supply; aka, they are paying it along with common areas. Definitely agree that it was probably not much work since the electricians were on site. They told me the reason it took so long was due to the permit/updated load info hey had to provide to the city.

I was surprised; especially since the company is headquartered in Alabama (wasn't expecting this from a southern company). But they have been GREAT with everything; including on being stewards of green energy. They have also pledged to install EVSE's outside for common use in case anyone who parks outside has an EV.

Only thing is they installed they plug upside down but first world problems. I’m sure as hell not complaining. I installed the cord organizer and it’s perfect as far as I’m concerned.

Attachments

• 0285B7E4-5B27-498F-817B-D23956C8D420.jpeg
    0285B7E4-5B27-498F-817B-D23956C8D420.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 18CF2831-5C7B-4280-8421-F5B75742392C.jpeg
    18CF2831-5C7B-4280-8421-F5B75742392C.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 155
Only thing is they installed they plug upside down but first world problems. I’m sure as hell not complaining. I installed the cord organizer and it’s perfect as far as I’m concerned.
Rotating it 180 degrees is not difficult. If it was yours I'd suggest you do it yourself. Since you probably don't have access to the breaker, (and it doesn't belong to you), you might want to ask if they'll fix it. Certainly let them know so they don't install future ones wrong.

Reactions: usafakid09