Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App no longer allows car controls unless paired as car key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the car updated to 2024.20.1 the app no longer allows me any of the car controls like turning on climate, sentry, etc unless the device is paired as a phone key. This was never the case previously. I use a normal iPad in my home to do things like enable climate, check sentry, check charge status etc. that I do not want to act as a phone key with the car. This is a huge regression. The only 'keys' I want with my car are the key cards, not my phone and certainly not my iPad in my home. What's up with this?

I’m on the same 20.1 and can do those things from my iPad and it’s not paired as a phone key.

There have been other previous threads about the need to have a phone as key to perform some controls, like this one:

My Ipad won’t access charging in the App unless paired as a key, although I didn’t want it as a key. If unpaired, several App functions are missing. My Iphone is my go to key, back up key card in wallet. Occasionally I leave the Ipad under the seat, when I don’t want to carry it into a store. Trap, Iphone in pocket, car won’t walk away lock, with Ipad in car(use pin to drive, so car in any case is not going anywhere).

Reactions: groovyd
My Ipad won’t access charging in the App unless paired as a key, although I didn’t want it as a key. If unpaired, several App functions are missing. My Iphone is my go to key, back up key card in wallet. Occasionally I leave the Ipad under the seat, when I don’t want to carry it into a store. Trap, Iphone in pocket, car won’t walk away lock, with Ipad in car(use pin to drive, so car in any case is not going anywhere).
Go into the settings on the app after you have set up the Ipad as a key and disable it as a key. You should still have the controls available to you.

Reactions: tm3lrawd and PCMc
Go into the settings on the app after you have set up the Ipad as a key and disable it as a key. You should still have the controls available to you.
This is the important distinction. If you remove the iPad as a key in the car, then you will lose all the controls functionality. But just turning off use as phone key in the app will retain the functionality on the iPad. I too got tripped up on this a few weeks ago.

Reactions: groovyd