Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App no longer showing precondition battery when turning on climate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its still pretty cold where Im at. Lows in the 30s, in the 40s F right now. For the past few days (since the newest update a few days ago maybe?), when I turn on the climate I dont see the notification that it is preheating the battery for optimal performance. Is 30s to 40s really warm enough that the car doesnt feel the need to precondition before a drive? I dont see the car pulling extra power from my house either, so it really does seem like its not preconditioning the battery at all.

External temperature is not a direct proxy for battery temperature. If you drive the car and park it, the battery is certainly hotter than ambient and it takes a lot of time to cool down. The next morning it probably hasn't reached outside temp yet unless it's quite windy.
I haven't done a recent test but I remember the car not heating the pack past 10C (50F) a while back, it might even be a few degrees less than that. It was 20C (70F) the first year I had the car and it was adjusted down later. We now get ~full regen around 50F or so anyway, which was not the case before.

To be sure of everything you'd need ScanMyTesla to look at the real battery temps.