Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question: Do I need to turn on climate control in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

New MY owner here, just took delivery few weeks ago. I am living in NY metropolitan area and my MY is parking in a outdoor parking lot. This winter the temperature seems milder than average but I am sure there will be really cold days (like 0 Fahrenheit). Do I need to manually turn on the climate control to protect the battery during cold days, or the car will automatically warm up the battery to prevent the potential damage?

Thanks in advance.

You mean just while it’s parked? No there is no need to waste energy to do that. Cold weather doesn’t damage the battery.

You may want to start climate and/or defrost 15-20 min before using the car just to make it more comfortable when you get in.
Yep, I mean while the car's parked. That's great to know that I don't need to waste juicy in the situation.

Thanks for your lightning response. :)

Hi Everyone,

New MY owner here, just took delivery few weeks ago. I am living in NY metropolitan area and my MY is parking in a outdoor parking lot. This winter the temperature seems milder than average but I am sure there will be really cold days (like 0 Fahrenheit). Do I need to manually turn on the climate control to protect the battery during cold days, or the car will automatically warm up the battery to prevent the potential damage?

Thanks in advance.
Just to be clear - it's a good idea on cold days to precondition the battery before you drive. You do that by turning on the climate control using the little fan icon on the app. That does 2 things - warms the cabin for you and your passengers, and starts to warm up the battery. You don't HAVE to do it, but you'll see much worse efficiency if the battery is very cold when driving. It might cost you a percent or two of energy, but you'll save that by starting your drive with a warm(er) battery. I usually start mine about 10 minutes before I head out, most of the year.

Using scheduled departure with precondition turned on (all found under schedule) completes charging, warms battery and cabin before you leave so it's all automated. Not sure if you charge where u park.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinT3141