Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

app not connecting to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone, I am having issues with the mobile app not connecting to my car at random times. When on wifi, the car connects fine, but when it's on LTE, the app will sometimes spin and spin trying to load the car but it will eventually just time out. The only way I can get the app to reconnect to the car is by resetting the car by holding down the 2 scroll wheels and waiting for the screen to come back on.

Yes I've tried reinstalling the app and resetting network connections on my device. I have another Tesla and my app connects to that one just fine.

What else can I try? Thank you!

So you mentioned LTE in your post. I assume that your phone as a key is unaffected since it uses Bluetooth to connect. You also don’t mention what type of mobile device your using. If it is an apple device, ensure that any 3rd party vpn services are disconnected ie proton, cloudflare vpn. You also don’t mention what year model 3 you are having issues with. When you are having app issues can the car’s netflix or YouTube app display video via lte?

So you mentioned LTE in your post. I assume that your phone as a key is unaffected since it uses Bluetooth to connect. You also don’t mention what type of mobile device your using. If it is an apple device, ensure that any 3rd party vpn services are disconnected ie proton, cloudflare vpn. You also don’t mention what year model 3 you are having issues with. When you are having app issues can the car’s netflix or YouTube app display video via lte?
I’m using an iPhone 14 promax and I have a 2023 model three 3 range with no VPN. Yes apps work on LTE and I can stream Apple Music etc

Yes I've tried reinstalling the app and resetting network connections on my device. I have another Tesla and my app connects to that one just fine.

What else can I try? Thank you!
Have you tried rebooting screen (holding scroll wheels). Many times when the car is wonky (technical term), a reboot resolves issues,

Have you tried rebooting screen (holding scroll wheels). Many times when the car is wonky (technical term), a reboot resolves issues,
Thank you, Haroldo for this suggestion. I'm 275 miles from home, I've only had the car a few weeks, and this problem happened to me a few hours ago. I am 73 miles and a weekend away from the nearest service center. The reboot resolved the issue.

Reactions: haroldo
I was having this issue with the 2023 Model 3 as well, if the car would go to sleep, then the app would not reconnect to it until I was back on WiFi. Letting the car go back to sleep or restarting it would temp fix the issue. Then an update seemed to have resolved the issue. Now the problem started happening again after the latest update, only this time it won’t connect right away, and it doesn’t have to go to sleep. Letting the car go to sleep fixes it still though. Really strange.

I was having this issue with the 2023 Model 3 as well, if the car would go to sleep, then the app would not reconnect to it until I was back on WiFi. Letting the car go back to sleep or restarting it would temp fix the issue. Then an update seemed to have resolved the issue. Now the problem started happening again after the latest update, only this time it won’t connect right away, and it doesn’t have to go to sleep. Letting the car go to sleep fixes it still though. Really strange.
Disregard, seems it was poor connectivity in my area causing the issue. I guess I need to contact Verizon and have them come investigate what is going on here. Even with two bars people are getting no service.

Then an update seemed to have resolved the issue.
I've found that after updates (car, or mobile app) there are times things don't work smoothly, As such, I've gotten into the habit of doing the scroll wheel reboot of car after each update. Things just seem to work better.
Also, if/when car fails to connect, or takes a long time to do so, I've found that Mobile App...Controls/Unlock works instantly. This function doesn't wait for the car to slowly wake up. Further, once done, the other controls should be available. In effect, unlocking the car with mobile app (and locking it again if you're not near car) can allow quicker access to controls from mobile app.

Reactions: heymull