Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App won't connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2 years of always connecting, my Tesla app will no longer connect to my 2018 Model S. Current firmware is 2020.12.11.5

I have deleted and reinstalled app and signed in and out several times. I have confirmed that my iPhone 8 and Tesla are on same wifi network. For what its worth, the bluetooth on my fine connects fine while I am in the car. The app just keeps getting a vehicle reconnection error. I am out of things to check or troubleshoot. Any suggestions ?
Thanks !

EDIT: A second MCU reboot solved the problem !

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
I too am having the same failure to connect (iPhone 8, both phone and S90D w/ MCU2) all on same wifi network. It used to work until a few weeks ago, nothing changed on my wifi so it appears to be related to the car's software. Car installed 2020.40.3 two days ago so it must be talking to the mothership. But app always says TIME OUT errorafter multiple attempts, rebooting car, rebooting phone etc.

I'm not using a VPN (know that causes problems since recent server changes), both on same wifi. Very frustrating.

Any ideas or hints?

Does the car have a good AT&T signal where it is parked? When you start a connection to the car your phone connects to a Tesla server The server then calls the car's phone number to establish a connection. Only then will the car set up a WiFi connection back to the server. Your phone and the car never talk directly to each other.

I am having problem loging into my tesla app on my android phone, if both the M3 and I am on the same wifi network. I did not have this problem in the past. It started happening about two weeks ago.

Rebooted, my phone, my router, my M3 to no avail.

I can connect to the M3 using teslaApp if I disabled wifi and use LTE, or I go to another wifi network.

Anyone experience this problem ?

Thank you.