Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't connect to car using App when phone is on home Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Home Wi-Fi works just fine on all my devices.

When my phone is on Wifi, the app keeps showing (last seen xx minutes ago) and the connections seems lost. As soon as I switch my phone from WiFi to LTE signal the app works again.

I tried to delete/uninstall the app and reinstall, reboot the car, but nothing works. Seems to be an App-Phone issue because everything works fine when my phone is not on Wifi for the Tesla app to work. I also tried to create a new Guest network and it's the same issue....

Any suggestions?

Your car needs a cellular LTE connection to complete authorization for the APP to connect to the car. You should be able to use either LTE or WiFi from your phone to connect. Try "forgetting" your phone's WiFi, and then add it again. I don't think it should matter, but is the home WiFi on the same network as the car?

If you have an iPhone maybe check settings scroll down to Tesla and then see if it has these turned on especially “Local Network”.

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 236
If you have an iPhone maybe check settings scroll down to Tesla and then see if it has these turned on especially “Local Network”.
All is on. Note that the issue happens on all my phones. My phone, my wife's phone, my iPad. The only change I made in the past 24 hours is that I got a new phone but I recall for the first 3-4 hours things were fine. I also deleted the app and even re-connected it to the car as a new key. I feel it's a connection issue because the problem is ONLY when my phone tries to access the car via the Wifi network. When on LTE, I can easily connect to the car and see it's current charge.

Your car needs a cellular LTE connection to complete authorization for the APP to connect to the car. You should be able to use either LTE or WiFi from your phone to connect. Try "forgetting" your phone's WiFi, and then add it again. I don't think it should matter, but is the home WiFi on the same network as the car?
Yes, there is LTE connection like I said (that's why everything works fine when my phone is NOT connected to WIFI anyway. Car is not the issue because I can connect to it if my phone is also on LTE. It is only when my phone is on WIFI. I am keeping the car on LTE all the time to isolate the car-wifi issues.

Correct, being on the same network shouldn’t make a difference. You’re really not talking directly to the car, your talking to the Tesla servers, where ever the may reside.

I sure don’t understand the OP issue.
Home Wi-Fi works just fine on all my devices.

When my phone is on Wifi, the app keeps showing (last seen xx minutes ago) and the connections seems lost. As soon as I switch my phone from WiFi to LTE signal the app works again.
Go back to basics.
  • Can you get on the internet when your phone is on WiFi?
  • Could it be a password issue?
  • Could there be some kind of goofy rule on you internet firewall?

Go back to basics.
  • Can you get on the internet when your phone is on WiFi?
  • Could it be a password issue?
  • Could there be some kind of goofy rule on you internet firewall?

Good suggestions. Yes Wifi works great on all devices including my TVs. Password should not be an issue therefore. I thought about Wifi rules and I really thought this could be one of them. I just turned off the Netgear Armor "security wall" feature to see if that helps... but no luck either same problem. One Phone LTE works, as soon as am on Wifi, problem starts.

When this is happening, get in the car and observe it's WiFi connection and strength. Is the car attached with a good signal to WiFi?
Car has no issues. Again am keeping it OFF wifi, and 100% on LTE to avoid the issue. Just after a fraction of a second from the time I switch my phone to LTE, app connects, hence I see no issues at all with car LTE connectivity being the reason just because of how fast the app syncs again after I turn wifi off.

Sorry if this was mentioned but you’re saying if your phone is on WiFi and car is ONLY on lte, it works? But if car is on WiFi and phone is on WiFi it does not work? But if car is on WiFi and phone is only on lte it works? Or your above statement meant you’re keeping your phone off WiFi not the car?

Sorry if this was mentioned but you’re saying if your phone is on WiFi and car is ONLY on lte, it works? But if car is on WiFi and phone is on WiFi it does not work? But if car is on WiFi and phone is only on lte it works? Or your above statement meant you’re keeping your phone off WiFi not the car?

Not sure if I wasn't clear, but like I said, just forget about the car. The car is on LTE all the time so it has nothing to do with my Wifi. There is LTE connection to the car all the time and it's perfect.

The only problem is when using the phone on Wifi (phone connected to wifi), then the tesla app does NOT communicate with the car. As soon as I switch my phone from Wifi to LTE, the connection with Tesla starts working again.

@CTtuck, I read all of your post and didn't see any remarks in regards to your car being connected to your home wifi. I believe if it was connected to the same wifi as your phone then your phone should see it.
No, that has nothing to do with it. I even asked Tesla service. Keeping the car on LTE is the best way to isolate the problem from my phone and home wifi issues. If you car is at work, and you are at HOME WIFI, you should still be able to see the car!.
Anyway I tried to connect the car to my home wifi anyway and it just makes the problem even worse as even with Phone on LTE, I can not see the car.
Let’s just forget about the car connectivity method. It is on LTE setting somewhere with 100% LTE coverage. If my phone is at home with home Wifi, the Tesla app refuses to connect to the tesla server to check the car mileage, battery, location, etc. Simply this is the problem (the phone when at home wifi). Phone using ATT simcard LTE works fine,

The car WiFi connection shouldn't be required, but I bet it will work if you enable the WiFi connection.
Nope… it did not, it even made it worse as now any phone with LTE can not even see the car. See my previous comment. “
“Let’s just forget about the car connectivity method because by now I know 100% that when car is on LTE and phone is on LTE too, things are working 100%. My car is on LTE setting somewhere with 100% LTE coverage. If my phone is at home with home Wifi, the Tesla app refuses to connect to the tesla server to check the car mileage, battery, location, etc. Simply this is the problem (the phone when at home wifi). Phone using ATT simcard LTE works fine,”

Nope… it did not, it even made it worse as now any phone with LTE can not even see the car. See my previous comment. “
“Let’s just forget about the car connectivity method because by now I know 100% that when car is on LTE and phone is on LTE too, things are working 100%. My car is on LTE setting somewhere with 100% LTE coverage. If my phone is at home with home Wifi, the Tesla app refuses to connect to the tesla server to check the car mileage, battery, location, etc. Simply this is the problem (the phone when at home wifi). Phone using ATT simcard LTE works fine,”
Yes, your problem seems to be entirely with your phone/home wifi network. Doesn't sound like anything to do with Tesla other than whatever firewall/etc on your home network/ISP is blocking the connection to Teslas servers.
Do you have anything NOT apple to try with?
You could also try using a VPN to get around your blockage until you figure out where it is.