Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Carplay with a WIFI Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the T2C and got mixed feedback pretty much along the same line as above. The bluetooth tethering was added after I received mine so it was a very positive surprise like a holiday gift. But since Apple Music became a built-in feature of Tesla, I depend on the T2C much less, to the point I just left it in the center console disconnected.

The connection was mostly stable in my case. The only time it disconnected was driving to Big Sur where there was no cellular coverage on my phone or on Tesla itself either, and even so, the car and the device seemed to try their best to restore connection without my help. My biggest problem was that the connection between the car and T2C was too persistent, even after I left the car. Since I didn't put a SIM on it, more than once the car was still connected to the T2C WiFi minutes after I walked away, and somehow it didn't lock, and I couldn't initial lock command from the app. I also got outdated vehicle status (door showed open on rainy days when it was actually closed).

Hope they will continue to improve this device, like they were doing in December with the SIM-free update. For now, I'll save it for long trips or when I have to use CarPlay apps.

Is there anyway to get CarPlay audio to play through the browser connection? Unless I switch the audio input of the car to Bluetooth, I can't get audio for Waze which means I can't listen to the car radio and use Waze at the same time.

Yep, TeslaAndroid is my preferred solution but I've been having a hard time getting my hands on a Pi. The T2C is filling in (decently) in the meantime.
I switch back and forth between the two solutions as well. I’ve been using the T2C more often but waiting on what appears to be good things for the TeslaAndroid solution.

This morning I booted up the T2C and was using Waze via Carplay. I switched to the Tesla Nav and Waze stayed running in the background, alerts and all, even Apple Music continued to play. I thought I could not do this. I thought the Tesla Nav required Tesla internet connectivity to work?

I purchased the US version of the T2C recently and can confirm it does work without a SIM. I never purchased a SIM and have it up and running. For the good, I agree with all you said. For the bad, I too have to manually switch the Tesla from home Wifi to the AutoLinkit. I experienced some strange initial connection issues yesterday but I believe it was my iPhone. After an iPhone reboot it was fine. Apple Music is fine for me. I don’t use audiobooks so cannot comment here. I experienced the iPhone BT not connecting too but I beleive this relates to Tesla and not the T2C but keeping an eye it. I’m experimenting with figuring out what the best startup experience is. Reconnection works fine after my iPhone reboot yesterday but I have a power switch and turn off when leaving and on when needed. I use Waze and it works well.
How did you get your carlink to work? My wifi, power and signal light are on but my SIM card light is not on the car link device. I cannot find the device under Bluetooth on my car or phone and I cannot find the device under wifi on my car. Need help setting this up.

I bought a T-Mobile SIM card but hopefully I have the same device as you where you do not need a SIM card.

Do you have to update the device or go online somewhere?

The model I have is CPC200-T2C.

How did you get your carlink to work? My wifi, power and signal light are on but my SIM card light is not on the car link device. I cannot find the device under Bluetooth on my car or phone and I cannot find the device under wifi on my car. Need help setting this up.

I bought a T-Mobile SIM card but hopefully I have the same device as you where you do not need a SIM card.

Do you have to update the device or go online somewhere?

The model I have is CPC200-T2C.
You do need to upgrade the device first. Where did you purchase it? The Amazon vendor I purchased mine from sent me the instructions below in advance and it worked for me.

I believe you need to set the SIM entries below. I did not because I never had a SIM.

I followed 1-4 below when I initially powered up the T2C device, outside the car.

Upgrade Process: Reference pics attached:

1. First power up your Tesla box (this is the T2C).
2. Open the phone's settings, click Bluetooth, pair the device's Bluetooth signal (click to allow), use Carplay.
3. Open the browser that comes with the phone, then enter the URL '' 192.168.3.1 '', scroll down and click '' upgrade ''.
4. After the upgrade is successful, wait for the box to finish restarting on it.
Note: You cannot disconnect or unplug the box during the upgrade process.

Note: If your SIM card is a Tmobile carrier, you need to enter the information of APN manually in the backend of your device.
APN : Fast.t-mobile.com
APN Protocol : IPv4/IPv6
Others do not need to fill in.

Once you complete the update you can take the device to the car.
1. You’ll need to connect to the device via WiFi (AutoKitxxx), password=88888888 (you can change it later)
2. Open the Tesla browser and connect to https://tslpush.com (this is the secure URL)

Additional Info

Attachments

• 77B8B095-A22D-4527-BDB8-0DC34785079D.png
    77B8B095-A22D-4527-BDB8-0DC34785079D.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1948936B-EBE2-4E47-8E4D-3F8BC8776DB1.png
    1948936B-EBE2-4E47-8E4D-3F8BC8776DB1.png
    185 KB · Views: 67
The upgrade worked however my Tesla cannot find the auto kit on wifi. On my iPhone I see auto kit and even on the Bluetooth part of Tesla auto kit is there. But when I search for wifi in the car auto kit is no where to be found. Any ideas?

I have tried it, with a Sim card. It was kind of clunky and not a good experience. I have now replaced it with the handshow 10.25 inch display. This works much better, and also provides a hotspot for passengers and my rear display. This unit works really well. The only issue I have found is pairing, both my phone and the display at the same time. I would prefer not to use CarPlay. If I do have my unit which I would sell cheap if someone would like to play around with it.

The upgrade worked however my Tesla cannot find the auto kit on wifi. On my iPhone I see auto kit and even on the Bluetooth part of Tesla auto kit is there. But when I search for wifi in the car auto kit is no where to be found. Any ideas?
Not sure why that is. You can try to enter it manually by typing it in or, you can try and reboot your Tesla by pressing and holding down the two buttons on your steering wheel until the Tesla screen goes black. Once back up, see if Tesla finds the WiFi network.

Several times a week, I get into my car and the wifi is off. I need to click on the LTE logo and turn wifi on and then it connects to my autokit hotspot. Any idea how to keep the wifi on so that it connects to the Carlinkit automatically as soon as the device is ready?

Several times a week, I get into my car and the wifi is off. I need to click on the LTE logo and turn wifi on and then it connects to my autokit hotspot. Any idea how to keep the wifi on so that it connects to the Carlinkit automatically as soon as the device is ready?
This happens to me as well, very annoying. If anyone knows how to resolve this one please share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.