Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARB air compressor for road trip questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

Since we are planning a long road trip I was considering using our ARB portable air compressor OR our other Smittybuilt air compressor.

My question is that is only has the clips to attach to a battery terminals. Is this possible in our 2022 M3LR? I have hated "cigarette lighter" air compressors/pumps as they get super hot and do not work very well.

Any suggestions or thoughts on if we could use our ARB or Smittybuilt ones that we already own?

Thanks for the advice!

Mike :)

When I bought my M3LR in 2020, I also bought an air compressor from Tesla. I think it cost about $80. Yes, it plugs into the "cigarette lighter" but it never gets hot and neither does the plug or the cable. It's compact and light weight and even gives you the option of just filling the tires with air or, if you have a tread puncture you can fill it with that gunk that plugs the hole. Fortunately, I haven't had to use the latter feature yet, but I have used the pump often to top off the air in my tires and am completely happy with it.

When I bought my M3LR in 2020, I also bought an air compressor from Tesla. I think it cost about $80. Yes, it plugs into the "cigarette lighter" but it never gets hot and neither does the plug or the cable. It's compact and light weight and even gives you the option of just filling the tires with air or, if you have a tread puncture you can fill it with that gunk that plugs the hole. Fortunately, I haven't had to use the latter feature yet, but I have used the pump often to top off the air in my tires and am completely happy with it.
Yeah I’m trying to avoid that as we are leaving soon on our trip and I would rather use a ”trusted” compressor for our Jeep and Tacoma…both of which have never failed us. Thanks for letting us know though!

Same here. Ditto on all of that...

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I have a corded Slime air compressor bought at a local auto parts store (O'Reilly). Works quite well but it does have the drawback of snaking the power cord through the windows around the car. I also carry with me a Ryobi compressor which I bought since I've already invested into the their battery-powered tools. The problem with that one is that you need to swap out the battery every few months with one that's fully charged.

edit: Slime model 40051 and Ryobi P747

Slime40051.jpg

RyobiP747.jpg

Last edited:
After some research it would not work without some potential issues. Since forever the Tesla inflator is not in stock, we will grab a “cigarette lighter” one.

Suggestions?
Milwaukee m12 or M18 inflator, small, standalone.

They’re cheap and don’t require you to run wires around/ through the car in the event you need to inflate some tires.

I have both that ryobi one in @RayK 's picture as well as one from viaair that I bought in 2018 that runs from a cigarette lighter / power outlet. I use the ryobi one more (for both my model 3 and wifes model Y) to check tire pressures and fill as needed.

The positive is, its not running from the ligher outlet / power outlet, so no wires as @buckets0fun mentions. another positive is, ryobi sells a ton of homeowner grade stuff that uses the same swappable battery packs. The negative is, its a bit bigger than the viaair one I have that I keep in my model 3.

If I was choosing between the two however I would go with the ryobi. I suspect the milwaukee one that @buckets0fun is suggesting is likely a better made version of this ryobi one since milwaukee stuff in general is a bit better than ryobi, but with these things you sort of pick a battery ecosystem then go from there.

If I was choosing between the two however I would go with the ryobi. I suspect the milwaukee one that @buckets0fun is suggesting is likely a better made version of this ryobi one since milwaukee stuff in general is a bit better than ryobi, but with these things you sort of pick a battery ecosystem then go from there.
Definitely purchase the inflator that fits the ecosystem you run with.

One cool thing with the Milwaukee m18 version (unsure of the Ryobi) is that they have presets for pressure. One touch to pressure with built in equalization before “finishing”. 199$ at Home Depot with a battery and charger. M12 versions get down to 129$ during sales.

Fair warning, the M12 version will be a gateway drug for you or the significant other to end up with Milwaukee heated jackets. ;)

Definitely purchase the inflator that fits the ecosystem you run with.

One cool thing with the Milwaukee m18 version (unsure of the Ryobi) is that they have presets for pressure. One touch to pressure with built in equalization before “finishing”. 199$ at Home Depot with a battery and charger. M12 versions get down to 129$ during sales.

Fair warning, the M12 version will be a gateway drug for you or the significant other to end up with Milwaukee heated jackets. ;)
Darn you... i just googled that M18 inflator based on your recommendation. Nothing wrong with the ryobi I have, but I didnt know milwaukee made one these or thats what I would have bought back then....

Your costing me money! (rofl)

Darn you... i just googled that M18 inflator based on your recommendation. Nothing wrong with the ryobi I have, but I didnt know milwaukee made one these or thats what I would have bought back then....

Your costing me money! (rofl)
Haha. We started with the M12 version, but after a track day prep requiring 18 tires be inflated, including 5 from sub60 to 80psi and 5 37” tires +12psi … going through 9 M12 batteries. We ended up buying the M18 on a 199$ deal and have since relegated the M12 version to the frunk of the X for ‘light’ duty.

Had used the M12 for many track days and road-trips without an issue. The 37” tires and the trailer ones to 80psi were a bit of a stretch for it’s usefulness. It handled it, but man it was unhappy and not working within its optimal temp range.

Since I’m already spending your money, look into the ‘LockNflate’ for any of these inflators you’re looking at purchasing. Just grabbed this and their LockNLube for the M18 greasegun.

Solid products deserve recognition, I have no affiliation with either of these companies. (In case anyone was wondering)

Hell my go to track day compressor is my Smittybuilt With the 996tt. While our tracks have “air” it is nice to simple hook up to the battery so I do not have to drive to the air station.
This could work with the 3, pop rear seat lower off and attach to the 12v leads or pop frunk and risk breaking the top beauty panel (the molded in standoffs for the clips snap off and end up needing proCA glue to bond back). I find it a bit of a pain and am heavily invested into the M12/18 ecosystem, makes it easy on the trail or side of the highway too.

This could work with the 3, pop rear seat lower off and attach to the 12v leads or pop frunk and risk breaking the top beauty panel (the molded in standoffs for the clips snap off and end up needing proCA glue to bond back). I find it a bit of a pain and am heavily invested into the M12/18 ecosystem, makes it easy on the trail or side of the highway too.
Not something we would do but good info!

I purchased a VIAIR 84P corded compressor, and it worked quite well with little vibration and good inflation rate. However, dealing with the cord is a pain, so I recently punched a battery powered unit, the Fanttik X8 APEX Tire Inflator. This company is well known for their battery boosters, so I figure that their in-unit batteries will be top notch. The pump itself works very well, with enough battery capacity to fill a tire or two (they claim three in their literature). I paired it with the JACO Lightning L2X Tire Inflator Hose Extension, which makes it incredibly easy to attach and detach from the valve stem. I am storing it in my frunk with a can of Fix-A-Flat for emergencies and for top-offs on the road. It has a USB C charge port, so it can be easily recharged from car itself.