Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Compressor Replacement - Mobile Tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 MSLR threw up an "Air suspension adjustment unavailable" error a week ago. It never reappeared, but I was at the SC for something else so I alerted them to the error. They diagnosed and apparently the compressor needs to be replaced. They ordered parts and we initially scheduled the repair at the SC. However, the SC is two hours distant, so I asked if the work could be done by a mobile tech. They have now scheduled the replacement to be done by a mobile tech.

Question: is replacing the air suspension compressor reasonably straightforward for a ranger to do, or are complications possible such that it would be worthwhile making the trip to the SC? Thanks!

Weird. Not something that’s easily done without a lift. Definitely doable, but would take a lot longer. Also, factory steps require the reservoir to be filled with nitrogen so unless the Ranger packs a canister with them…
I’ve replaced it myself, but also have had the SC do it and they said it was not possible for a Ranger to do (this was about a year ago).

It is very straightforward to do....however, rangers typically stick to work that won't make your drivability worse if it goes badly.

And this is one of those cases where if anything goes wrong...air line breaks/leaks, etc....you're totally stuck. So I imagine they'll want to bring it in. That said, if you're at all mechanically inclined, it's quite easy to replace yourself. And the instructions are in the service manual online.

pneumatic_layout.jpg

The 4 mm boost line has reservoir pressure on it all other valves are normally closed so changing out the compressor would only release the pressure on the reservoir

Reactions: Gtech
Thanks to those who replied. A quick follow-up. The ranger replaced the compressor without any difficulty. It took him maybe two hours. He said it was the first compressor replacement he had done (he has not been with Tesla for long) and that it would be speedier the next time.

Risk. If they remove it and can’t get a new one installed and working, you have an immobile car. If they have it at their shop, they can keep diagnosing.
And in my view if they can’t replace my compressor/solenoid block or less to resolve my issue; it doesn’t make sense beyond that point to repair it at all.

Also Tesla service did a horrible job with diagnosing my problem.

Update: I’ve seen so many videos of the compressor being replaced, I’m seriously thinking about just doing it myself. Tesla service is just awful. I can’t figure out words to describe my service experience but it is definitely a lesson learned. I will never buy a car from Tesla again.

Update: I’ve seen so many videos of the compressor being replaced, I’m seriously thinking about just doing it myself. Tesla service is just awful. I can’t figure out words to describe my service experience but it is definitely a lesson learned. I will never buy a car from Tesla again.
Sorry you’re having issues. What’s happening with the suspension and what did Tesla propose?

Sorry you’re having issues. What’s happening with the suspension and what did Tesla propose?
Right now my 2014 Model S P85, doesn’t have the ability to raise suspension. I get either a yellow light or red light. I get the disabled iMessage.

I do know that the suspension compressor tank is holding air, so I add air to it; just to keep my car from getting too low to the ground.

I bought a compressor assembly part, solenoid block and a compressor spare parts in case I need it.

I’ve had multiple interactions with Tesla service. They want me to just drop my car there and leave it. I asked if I can have mobile service and they said no. This repair is really simple to do yet, no one wants to do it.

He’s posting across a couple different threads so it’s hard to keep up.

But yes, it’s quite easy to swap out yourself. The step by step procedure is listed in the shop manual, available online for free.

Not that hard to follow. Simply I need my suspension fixed and I can’t find one Service center or mechanic who knows how to do it. A simple part. It’s unbelievable

Not that hard to follow. Simply I need my suspension fixed and I can’t find one Service center or mechanic who knows how to do it. A simple part. It’s unbelievable
You said that Tesla just asked you to drop the car off and leave it? If you requested a service appt stating that you have an SAS error, isn’t the next step to drop the car off? Did they say they don’t want to fix it/replace the compressor and valve block. As for Ranger service, I personally wouldn’t want that anyway. Like Agg said, the car could be rendered slammed/stuck because the replacing the block could be necessary after the compressor. Plus removing the underside compressor bolts are a PITA from up top.
But since you already bought the parts, this is def DIY-able as you hopefully saw from recent threads. I just don’t fully understand the SC angst based on what you’ve stated so far.

Right now my 2014 Model S P85, doesn’t have the ability to raise suspension. I get either a yellow light or red light. I get the disabled iMessage.

I do know that the suspension compressor tank is holding air, so I add air to it; just to keep my car from getting too low to the ground.

I bought a compressor assembly part, solenoid block and a compressor spare parts in case I need it.

I’ve had multiple interactions with Tesla service. They want me to just drop my car there and leave it. I asked if I can have mobile service and they said no. This repair is really simple to do yet, no one wants to do it.

It's not that Tesla won't do the work, they have told you they'll do it - you just don't want it done that way. Which is fine, but it's not a "no one wants to work" scenario. Same with Gruber (though I agree their price is too high for JUST the replacement of the compressor).

There's FUD around Tesla as a brand, spread by fools on Facebook who think these cars run on unicorn blood. They're quite easy to work on in your own garage.

I've mentioned that an independent Euro shop (bmw/merc/audi) should feel comfortable taking this on with a couple hours of shop time, especially if you give them the step-by-step instructions from the shop manual, which is free online.

Yes, it is a simple part, and it's simple to replace. You can always replace it yourself with that same manual and a couple wrenches.

If you do it yourself, I'd suggest supporting all four corners of the car with a 4x4 block or the like....because when you remove the air lines to the bags, the car will drop down to the bump stops, which would make it very hard to put a jack under. When you re-pressurize the system it'll come back up, but better safe than sorry.

So my solenoid and air suspension compressor have been replaced on my 2014 Tesla Model S P85.

The car has good height but my controls seems off.

How would I level out the car? Hard reset? Wheel reset? 12V reset?

Also what is the appropriate amount of PSI for the tank? 120 PSI or higher?

So my solenoid and air suspension compressor have been replaced on my 2014 Tesla Model S P85.

The car has good height but my controls seems off.

How would I level out the car? Hard reset? Wheel reset? 12V reset?

Also what is the appropriate amount of PSI for the tank? 120 PSI or higher?
You replaced both yourself? Nice. Glad you’re back up. Yes, try hard reset and/or fog for a drive. Otherwise you can have a Ranger come out and perform a simple calibration that only takes a few mins to perform.