Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are cops lenient on Model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a small town this weekend that most likely has never had a Tesla in it. How would everyone grade this stop or non-stop?

Cop: You didn't stop all the way for that stop sign back there.
Me: I'm sure my speed said zero, I will have to check the video.
Cop: I'm going to give you a verbal warning. Does this car really have video?

Definitely a stop.

I got pulled over once for "speeding". The cop claimed I was doing 35 in a 25. I explained to her that there was a sign clearly posted that said 35. I knew that because I saw her and put on my cruise control to ensure I was going exactly the speed limit. She had some other cop go check for the sign. When she came back she said she was letting me go with a "warning" on the speed but cited me for not using my blinker when she pulled me over. :rolleyes: B*tch just wanted to write a ticket for something to meet her quota.
You're driving along, wary of getting pulled over for speeding, get pulled over, and somehow forget to use your signal when stopping? Of all the bad times to be driving during Quota Season ):

Reactions: Phlier
California they pull you over for no front plate and window tint and stopping is optional. Here you can pay upfront for no plate and they don't really care about tint but you better clearly spot.

I got pulled over here in Texas for my 'temp tag' being in the wrong spot. It was explained to me by a manager at the SC that they are required to put the temp tag in the back window and are not allowed to put it in the spot the back plate would be. I did my best to not argue with the officer but all in all she gave me a warning. Nonetheless it made me 10 minutes late for work which was unfortunate. Got my plates today so it won't be an issue. Well, now I just have to be worried about the lack of front plate. Considering "the bandit" or something similar.

I got pulled over for not having the inspection sticker up (I had the temporary one since I had just registered the car but had not gotten it yet). The officer let me go but before he did he said "by the way, nice car!"

It really made my day tbh. A far different experience from getting pulled over in college with my '92 Plymouth Voyager :p

I have no front plate on my car. My son in law is in law enforcement and told me not to worry to much about it. I do have a new in box Bandit plate holder in the frunk and am prepared to tell the police that I just got the Bandit and will put it on immediately when I get home. Knock wood I don’t have to.

I have no front plate on my car. My son in law is in law enforcement and told me not to worry to much about it. I do have a new in box Bandit plate holder in the frunk and am prepared to tell the police that I just got the Bandit and will put it on immediately when I get home. Knock wood I don’t have to.
Tried it - doesn't work over here. YMMV.

YMMV.

I have quite a bit of coworkers with police spouse, I've asked one cop and he said if he sees a car with no front plates they'll give it out for sure since it's an easy ticket to give. Another cop said don't worry about it because they have better things to do. So it's pretty much just your luck. You could go years without a ticket but you could also go out right now and someone could give you a ticket.

• Helpful
Reactions: hcdavis3
100%. The traction control also works incredibly fast to prevent any wheelspin so when I first got my Tesla, I would floor it 0-30 everywhere I went, something that would have involved a lot of noise if I tried that in my STI.
I do wish we had an anti-nanny button that would completely disable all traction control. I really want to do a smokey burn out in my Tesla. Front and back.

I do wish we had an anti-nanny button that would completely disable all traction control. I really want to do a smokey burn out in my Tesla. Front and back.

You aren't the first.

Climate Change: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D

I love the imagery:

Before plugging in the P85D, we attempt a few slides around the snow- covered parking lot. It's here I realize that there's no way to disable stability control.

Panic ensues. I disassemble half the car to access the computers and wiring. Fuses are yanked, ABS control units unplugged, and wheel-speed sensors disconnected. The P85D counters by entering a fail-safe front-wheel-drive mode and flashing every error message imaginable. I fully expect an enraged Elon Musk to appear on the touchscreen, screaming at me while he remotely shuts down the car. That doesn't happen. But I also never free the car from its electric prison.

As the P85D sits on the charger overnight in preparation for the next day's test, I phone Tesla HQ in Palo Alto, California, and beg an engineer to beam over a software patch. The answer is no. I call the engineer a spineless killjoy, then threaten to aim the P85D at a snowbank and test its autonomous braking system. The poor guy explains that Musk doesn't like turning stability control off. "Oh," I argue, "so the man who owns a hairy, scary McLaren F1 doesn't want to be spooked by his own electric sedan?"

Evidently, it's impossible to frazzle a Tesla engineer. He patiently explains that the P85D beat a Panamera in internal benchmarking in the snow and that they've programmed the P85D to "faithfully follow driver intent."

And what, I ask, if the driver's intent is to have fun? To be sideways with four roostertails of snow in the world's longest, quietest drift? He says I'm very likely the only Model S driver who would ever want this.

It's infuriating to know there's a brilliant chassis here but not being allowed to indulge it. It's also shocking how fast the P85D is despite all this—it catches the M5 within a few corners. With me riding in his wake, the BMW driver pushes even harder but only gets more sideways. It's a joy to watch, but the M5 is not nearly as capable as the Model S. No car here is—the P85D is so much faster than the other cars, I wind up tormenting them like those Lamborghinis back in California. Only this time, it is no fun at all.

Reactions: Phlier
I got pulled over a month ago for "Estimated speeding" when I had a little fun on an interstate on ramp. I'm pretty sure he was only looking for drunk drivers as it was midnight on a Saturday. He asked for license & registration and if I was drinking. He never ran my information, just told me to take it easy as the ramps are getting a little slick. Three minutes later I was on my way with no warning or anything.

Virginia calls it "exhibition of speed". lol