Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are newer Model Xs Really Better? 2015/2016 vs NEW ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first Tesla was a 2018 Model X Performance. The first thing I noticed between 2018 and 2019 the range was increased (but has now decreased from (320 to 295 miles;) and the home super charging speed was 80 AMPs, which has now been reduce (I am told because of overall safety concerns) down to 48 AMP's. The new suspension I believe is quieter and I have been told tighter but I never tested the 2018 in the 1 month I own it. I have a 2019 Model X Performance now. It was delivered in June of 2019. I have driven it nearly 18k miles since then and my first trip was a total of 4500 miles 3 days after I took delivery of it.

I live in Satellite Beach, FL (just south of Cape Canveral) so we get a lot of sun. I can say I have never had a climate control problem (I am only the only person in the vehicle). I did purchase all of the sun screens and will say the sun screens for the front glass do an amazing job of reducing the bright sun beaming down during the hot summer days.

With respect to the road noise, mine is exceptionally quite, and one of the many reasons I bought the suv (I came out of a Mercedes Benz suv). I will say, when driving very slowly, I do have a creak from the front right suspension and only can be heard with no radio and less than 5 mph, yet they can find it. :)

Also the 2019 no longer has vented seats...straight leather...while very nice in Florida cool seats are amazing!

My biggest complaint and only is the wipers...When traveling at highways speeds (65 mph plus) while raining, the wiper blade on the drivers side literally goes off the windshield and bangs of the left pillar when coming back onto the glass. Their is no damage and Tesla has attempted to fix it twice.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Just traded a 2017 X for a 2020 X. Did it primarily because I got a fair value for the trade-in. The 6-seat config of the 2017 turned out to be annoying in that the middle row seatbacks did not fold down. Knew that when I ordered it, but as we came to use the car, the middle row seats were more of a hindrance than a pleasure. And, never had anyone in the 3rd row all the time we had it. Ordered the 2020 with the 5-seat config (no 3rd row, 2nd row seats are quite comfortable AND they fold down), and we far more enjoy the functionality. Though range was not a problem with the 2017, that added range of the 2020 is much appreciated. I concur with other comments that it makes for better travel planning and charging options. Besides, I now also have new tires. So, is it better? Aside from the more preferable configuration, it's still the fabulous Model X that we've enjoyed, save for there being still too much road noise.

Last edited:
I currently have a 2016 Model X 75D.

Aside from range, are they much better now?
-Our current X has very loud road noise especially through the windows and seals.
-It is also very lack luster for climate control (Too cold in winter, Too hot in summer.)

It is still by far the best vehicle overall we have ever had. I am just hoping they have made enough improvements to make buying a new one worth while.

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has upgraded from an "Older X" to a newer one.

Thanks all!
-Jim
I made the switch from 2016 X90D to the new 2019 X Raven L+ (I guess prev. referred to as P100D) by far a better vehicle in every aspect. Many have already highlighted same, so I will not go into them again. Just based on price, trade in and such, I got so much more vehicle for less than what I paid for my 2016. One of the biggest advantages, is the mileage efficiency. In my previous MX90D, I would drive both conservatively and aggressively and made note of mileage efficiency at those times. The new Raven version is so much more efficient.
I am speaking of both summer and winter driving. As an example, the range efficiency I am seeing in the new vehicle when driving aggressively, it is comparable to range efficiency I would get in my old one when driving very conservatively. Big difference.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
I no longer look as charging time being wasted. Instead it offers me additional enjoyable experiences. I even keep a foldable electric 3 wheel scooter with a seat in the trunk. Will use that to explore deeper into interesting areas. When traveling with a dog it is much more pleasant as well.

Life altering indeed.

What model scooter do you use and keep in the trunk? Do you keep it charged via the 12V port in the back?