Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Model S vs Newer Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, I don't seem to be able to post in the general threads.

I am wondering if it makes more sense for me to buy a very old model S or a newer model 3.

I can purchase a 2013-2014 Model S with a dead battery for around $12k. It seems a battery replacement through tesla is around $16k. So this would mean I would be about $28k into the car with a brand new battery. If this was it then it would make more sense to just buy a model 3. However, from my understanding, the old Model S would come with free unlimited supercharging. I would be supercharging the car a lot so this would be a huge savings.

I am wondering if the unlimited supercharging would still apply if I replace the battery? Also, what was the last model year this was offered that can be transferred? If possible, I would prefer to buy a 2016 which would be around $30k.

Thank you.

As long as the Model S wasn't recently re-sold through Tesla as a used car, the FUSC will transfer.
Is the Model S a S60, S85 or P85 or P85+? In any case, Tesla nerfed the speed of supercharging, so while supercharging might be free, it might not be that fast. Other people can chime in with personal experience.

Hello everyone. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, I don't seem to be able to post in the general threads.

I am wondering if it makes more sense for me to buy a very old model S or a newer model 3.

I can purchase a 2013-2014 Model S with a dead battery for around $12k. It seems a battery replacement through tesla is around $16k. So this would mean I would be about $28k into the car with a brand new battery. If this was it then it would make more sense to just buy a model 3. However, from my understanding, the old Model S would come with free unlimited supercharging. I would be supercharging the car a lot so this would be a huge savings.

I am wondering if the unlimited supercharging would still apply if I replace the battery? Also, what was the last model year this was offered that can be transferred? If possible, I would prefer to buy a 2016 which would be around $30k.

Thank you.
That feature is attached to the VIN so replacing the battery doesn't disable it.

It's software controlled so at each ownership transfer, Tesla might review/audit the eligibility.

Also, there have been incentives for original owners to give up that feature. That feature might still persist when you bought it but disappears after the ownership registration with Tesla.

So if you count on that feature, you might want to get the guarantee from the original owner. If Tesla starts to charge you the Supercharger, the original owner's credit card needs to be in the account.

Thank you.
The main question is can you afford any major repairs? If you're really stretching your budget with either option, might be best to wait a bit until it works.

And I agree with Fgpalmer71 - The new Model 3s look great and you shouldn’t have to worry about any major (or minor) repairs for several years at least. Get a Tesla charger for your garage so your Supercharging can be limited to the times you’re on long trips away from home. Anyhow, that’s what I’d do.

I didn't think about the charging......

If I was looking at Tesla's and installing a level 2 charger at home wasn't an option, I wouldn't even consider an older S. The thought of supercharging a pre-facelift S daily would make me nervous.

I've thought about this a bit as I intend to sell my Tesla once it's back from the service center next week. I have FUSC....I hate the Y...not a fan of the X...can't afford a new S.....my next car is a 3 and I can't take the charging with me. Whoever decides to be the next owner of my 2014 S is going to have to trust me I guess! I've never input my credit card details and have no plans to do so until I take delivery of a Model 3!