Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are our new Mobile Connectors actually used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a "new" mobile connector directly from Tesla but when I received it, the cables and the charger looked used. I reached out to CS and they assured me it was new and probably greased up during handling and packaging. I'm not sure what to believe but at the same time, I don't want to go through the hassle of returning in case it is sold out. Anyone else in the same boat?

Tesla accessories are all questionable. Shipped with minimal or no padding or shipped directly in product box instead of double boxed. Things can look used or scratched or seals are broken. Their response is usually just too bad so sad it is what it is take it or leave it.

Tesla accessories are all questionable. Shipped with minimal or no padding or shipped directly in product box instead of double boxed. Things can look used or scratched or seals are broken. Their response is usually just too bad so sad it is what it is take it or leave it.
My wiper blades were wrapped up in a plastic envelope and slapped a label on it. They were fine but yes, the packaging was very minimal.

Can you explain what looks used about them? Is it just a rough box or is there damage to the connector inside the fabric case?

When I got my MC kit all the parts inside were wrapped in individual plastic (both the adapters and the main plug/cable). All neatly arranged in the case.
there are plastics but the main cord looks some dirt and hair (dont know what that is actually). I tried not nic picking but this is just non-accpetable we are paying dam $260 (almost a ps5) for this connector.

Ha! I was just trying to chat with Tesla CS in regards to this. Only plastic wrappers I got were the two cords/adapters. The charge handle and the unit were just bare...

Last edited:
I am glad I was not the only one experiencing this. Mine came in an open product box. The shipping label was completely torn open. I had no way of confirming if the MC was swapped out with a used one during transit so I decided to return it. Before returning, I brought it to a service center to have them test and they say it is working but again it looks used although the (2) connectors are in plastic bags. I paid for a new MC so I thought they should send a new MC.

I'm probably the exception but my mobile connector came packaged very well in a standard UPS box. The mobile connector case was inside the box, in the mobile connector case, the actual unit was indeed brand new and all wires were packed in plastic sleeves which took forever to remove.

I did not receive a J1772 adapter with the package though (or the car for that matter) but I am not too concerned about that as I have an extra one from my first Tesla.

Reactions: thetuk
I remember when the Mobile Connector used to be included... 🙄
The good ol' days!!

I lucked out as I ordered in March 2022 when MC was included but during my 7 month wait they stopped including it. When it was included it just included the one connector for a standard household outlet. But once they stopped including it they added the 14-50 adapter to the MC kit. By the time I took delivery in October 2022, they were grandfathering us but just giving us coupons to get a free kit but it was the new kit with 14-50. BONUS.

^^^^^
I was so nervous when I first ordered and received my Y when I received the coupon for the mobile adapter I ordered it. I also made up a 25 ft 30 amp extension cord just in case. I also ordered the gen 2 adapter bundle and the CC1 adapter from Tesla.
After making my first long drive from NJ to Florida I discovered all that I really needed was the CC1 adapter that I used at the 350kW FPL Evolution chargers in Florida that are cheaper than the Tesla chargers. My garage Gen 3 HPWC serves me well as I really enjoy leaving for the bagel store each morning at 6AM with a 90% charge, a warm 70degree vehicle and the welcome hum that I hear each morning from the heat pump when I enter my garage and disconnect the charge cable.

Attachments

• Tesla Filling up IMG_9520.JPG
    Tesla Filling up IMG_9520.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 167
The good ol' days!!

I lucked out as I ordered in March 2022 when MC was included but during my 7 month wait they stopped including it. When it was included it just included the one connector for a standard household outlet. But once they stopped including it they added the 14-50 adapter to the MC kit. By the time I took delivery in October 2022, they were grandfathering us but just giving us coupons to get a free kit but it was the new kit with 14-50. BONUS.
The MY never came with the 14-50. I have an early 2020 and the UMC came with the 1772, the 115 plug and a case