Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla solar panels and installation competitive with the industry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Was wondering if anyone knew if Tesla installed solar panels were competitive with the industry?

Tesla car's don't really compare with anything else but the I don't think the panels would be ground breaking so it comes down to $/watt generation I would imagine.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Was wondering if anyone knew if Tesla installed solar panels were competitive with the industry?

Tesla car's don't really compare with anything else but the I don't think the panels would be ground breaking so it comes down to $/watt generation I would imagine.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Depends on your situation. If you got roof-space to spare, they got a decent system (+ bundle with battery), and follow-up support. It's nice like single-payer insurance. The HIT technology is interesting, although I question the longevity.

If you don't got roof-space (as my situation is), Tesla panels are too low-wattage, warranty performance unknown (promises promises instead of actual empirical performance in the field), and pricing per watt has been higher than better panels on market. Questions of light-induced degradation eating away the performance, performance left after warranty (not 90% as some of the premium-plus panels), shading tolerance. These were some of the issues for me.

On average, TE panels are better than average, if you can get a decent prince on them.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MXWing
Depends on your situation. If you got roof-space to spare, they got a decent system (+ bundle with battery), and follow-up support. It's nice like single-payer insurance. The HIT technology is interesting, although I question the longevity.

If you don't got roof-space (as my situation is), Tesla panels are too low-wattage, warranty performance unknown (promises promises instead of actual empirical performance in the field), and pricing per watt has been higher than better panels on market. Questions of light-induced degradation eating away the performance, performance left after warranty (not 90% as some of the premium-plus panels), shading tolerance. These were some of the issues for me.

On average, TE panels are better than average, if you can get a decent prince on them.

Informative reply, thank you. So when I had other solar installs in the past the price was HIGHLY negotiable. Is this the case with TE, where your mileage varies depending on negotiating skill?

My rule of thumb has been aiming for 7 year ROI on costs.