Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the 250kW stations broken quite a bit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was going to hit up the High Roller station in Vegas the other day and the car said “Limited Service” so I ended up going to another spot. Have tried to hit up the two 250kW spots at the Hawthorne HQ the past few days and they are always coned off and not working. Is Tesla having reliability issues with the V3 setup across the board?

Was going to hit up the High Roller station in Vegas the other day and the car said “Limited Service” so I ended up going to another spot. Have tried to hit up the two 250kW spots at the Hawthorne HQ the past few days and they are always coned off and not working. Is Tesla having reliability issues with the V3 setup across the board?

I went to High Roller last Friday, it was 8 stations coned off, and major construction around the station...with that said it gave me the max for my SR+ consistently. I was the only car there.

I was at High Roller yesterday, just got in from Phoenix at 10% charge and was trying to get up to a comfortable level to park the car for a few days. Half of the spots were turned off and wouldn't work. The ones that worked were pretty full....I maxed out at 72kw. Looks like the stalls are shared 4 to a circuit instead of the normal 2. Even when I was momentarily sharing with just one other person, I still never saw over 72kw. Was expecting to be there for a short time due to the hype around v3, ended up waiting like 45 minutes or so to get up to 75%. Disappointing for sure.

For my SR+...only charged 4 mins and added ~%10
467947AD-3359-4E36-B788-5948DD3DA567.jpeg

This is an interesting leap. A few people having problems at this specific Las Vegas location, and it is spawning the idea that the entire 250kW Supercharger system has problems.

Probably basing it on my theory that the entire 150kW charging network has problems. :)

My favorite is Mountain View, CA, which averages something like eight out of twelve stalls in various stages of disrepair at any given point in time.

Might be based on Santa Rosa, Ehrenburg both V3 failing in first few days of operation and having reduced service on the map?

If the Fremont V3 supercharger starts malfunctioning right about now (at about the 6-month mark), worry, but a shutdown of a newly installed supercharger is IMO more likely to be caused by something other than premature equipment failure.

If the first station had died en masse within a week of installation, I suspect that they would have fired all the engineers and not turned on a second one until they redesigned it, so I'd probably bet on either a site-specific issue, such as a blackout or transformer flameout, or some sort of post-installation construction work that gets deferred until after they have verified that the site is working electrically so that it will be easier to repair if they need to do so.

The really nasty problems to deal with are designs that start failing after a few months or a year (like the V2 designs seem to when under heavy use, judging by the relatively short time before the Sunnyvale and Los Gatos SCs started having pairs of stations down). It's harder to catch those sorts of design mistakes before you start deploying things, so by the time you do catch them, you often have a huge installed base that you have to deal with. Here's hoping they learned from their mistakes and that the V3 stations will be more reliable.