Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the PUP brakes made by Brembo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been answered but I cannot see a ready answer.

I believe the M3 Performance brakes are made by Brembo, are they the same on the MY? Are they still Brembo, something different or just standard Tesla MY but painted?

If your doing it "right", you're not going to be braking very much, but using the motors to regenerate. I've noticed no real deficiencies in the standard brakes... And in the end, until you fade your brakes through prolonged heating, it's the tires that matter more in how the car stops.

Don't get me wrong, I've paid insane money for brakes in another car. But it's the kind of car that insane money matters in, imo.

Good luck!

If your doing it "right", you're not going to be braking very much, but using the motors to regenerate. I've noticed no real deficiencies in the standard brakes... And in the end, until you fade your brakes through prolonged heating, it's the tires that matter more in how the car stops.

Don't get me wrong, I've paid insane money for brakes in another car. But it's the kind of car that insane money matters in, imo.

Good luck!

True that you shouldn't need to use the brakes that much. Actually one reason I wish I had the Brembo's on the Y I ordered (LR) is that you will not need to replace the rotors unlike a car like my Hellcat that needed an expensive brake job every couple of years.

True that you shouldn't need to use the brakes that much. Actually one reason I wish I had the Brembo's on the Y I ordered (LR) is that you will not need to replace the rotors unlike a car like my Hellcat that needed an expensive brake job every couple of years.
i think for the S, even non performance model uses Brembo. Wonder if it's the same for the Y?

The PUP brakes are the same as the M3 PUP brakes, the biggest difference between the two actually isn't the brakes but the rotors, we dont get two piece rotors like them :( but the bigger "red" brake calipers are still a nice step up, especially in the rear, granted those aren't used much).

Is there any source for this? This question (in relation to they Y specifically) was the reason for my post - are the performance brakes different from those on the non-performance, or just painted red....

They are indeed different, especially in the rear, although I do believe at least the fronts on the MY non PUP are still Brembo, just a different product, less "performance" oriented model. If you want to know more about the differences just search for the Model 3 regular vs PUP brakes, they are the exact same minus the fact we don't get 2-piece rotors. The PUP apparently gets the same rotors on both versions, except they are 1mm wider up front on the PUP (according to the manual)

It's all for show on the Y or even something like the Hellcat unless you are doing a HPDE. Even if we had generic sliding calipers, the tires would still over power the tires when stopping.

It's even more for show on a Tesla as the pads would need to operate at lower temperatures since a lot of regen braking is introduced. That's such a big problem that the pads start to rot out from moisture which is typically not a problem due to heat from braking, but electric cars like the Y don't generate enough. If you drive in road salt or a lot of rain, expect to replace the pads well before the are worn.

Reactions: empiredown
Can confirm the LR AWD Y brakes are made by Brembo. Whether they are the same as the PUP minus paint, I couldn't tell you.

IMG_5147.jpg
IMG_5146.jpg

Interesting, Brembos are usually made in Italy and that's been stamped on the ones on past performance vehicles that I've owned.

From what I understand, the ones from Mexico have been more of the ones for show and not really meant for performance. Probably why Tesla can easily afford to put them on their entire line up.

• Informative
Reactions: kwoo4424
Interesting, Brembos are usually made in Italy and that's been stamped on the ones on past performance vehicles that I've owned.

From what I understand, the ones from Mexico have been more of the ones for show and not really meant for performance. Probably why Tesla can easily afford to put them on their entire line up.

if it was ‘for show’ why would they re-brand as ‘Tesla’? Would seem odd...