Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any products out there that protect the rims? XPEL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our rims got scratched for the 2nd time in less than a week. Is there anything like PPF for rims? The first time it was a small chip from someone (not me) taking a turn too close to the curb. This time it's from a bad parallel parking job (again, not me). It looks like half of the rim is scratched. :(

Our rims got scratched for the 2nd time in less than a week. Is there anything like PPF for rims? The first time it was a small chip from someone (not me) taking a turn too close to the curb. This time it's from a bad parallel parking job (again, not me). It looks like half of the rim is scratched. :(
You can get these to protect against curb rash. You can't really use PPF for protection since it would be too hard to put it on. Probably the best you can do for general protection is put a ceramic coating on it.

Last edited:
There is no coating that will save your rims from curb rash. They're aluminum, the curb is rough concrete. The curb will always win.

Rim edge bands can provide a cheap bumper to absorb an impact.

If you can stand the look of stuck on plastic rim protectors. Your right. The curb will always win. Especially on wheel rims like the 3 has that are level with the tire sidewall. Even the rim protector molded into the Contis hasn’t prevented rim rash. Personally planning on parking a foot from the curb.

15F9E37A-8068-4CE3-B2C6-F49F3F357B65.jpeg
5E3A6728-19CB-43FB-A69E-41BFDE696CC2.jpeg
Pilot sports are shaped such that they provide some protection for the rims. Disclaimer I have not tested this yet, and don’t plan to ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. The touch up paint really helps disguise the damage (that's what I'm telling myself, I haven't looked at it in direct sunlight yet). I'm going to hold off for now. But if this happens again, I'm going to get something like the alloy gator or the turtle wax rim protector.