Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a confirmed order dated in November 2016 and have been questioning the reasons for the delay. First it was approval from APS and then the help they are providing to Puerto Rico for their power problems. They stated that there have been no installs in Arizona.

I have a confirmed order dated in November 2016 and have been questioning the reasons for the delay. First it was approval from APS and then the help they are providing to Puerto Rico for their power problems. They stated that there have been no installs in Arizona.

No installs that I know of either. Seems that all of their resources are concentrated in PR or in Calif. Did they recently give you any revised install date? I have not gotten anything.

@AZPowerWall - What ? I just got solar last week, and I have APS. If I am generating 10kw, and using 2kw at 4pm on a weekday, you are telling me that APS is going to charge me for Peak for the 2kw I am using from my own solar, and then give me the standard $0.12 for the 10kw I am generating.
That seems like a scam, how can they charge me peak for the 2kw, when I am not pulling that off the grid ?

~Scott

I believe AZPPowerWall is referring to demand-based rates: aps - five things to know about demand-based rates

For those rate plans that have demand charges, the Powerwalls can be used to reduce the peak usage to lower the demand charge. For instance, by setting the Powerwall to self-consume until everyone is in bed, you would be charged a demand charge based on your highest overnight usage, rather than your highest evening usage.

@AZPowerWall - What ? I just got solar last week, and I have APS. If I am generating 10kw, and using 2kw at 4pm on a weekday, you are telling me that APS is going to charge me for Peak for the 2kw I am using from my own solar, and then give me the standard $0.12 for the 10kw I am generating.
That seems like a scam, how can they charge me peak for the 2kw, when I am not pulling that off the grid ?

~Scott
I currently generate more peak power than I consume (peak solar production is around 1 pm) from my 12 kW rooftop array (more TOTAL production than usage). But, in the 4, 5, and 6 o'clock hours, I have peak demand (more demand than production) that APS charges me. Thus, I have the strange monthly bill with "negative" peak usage but with demand charges in excess of $100. A powerwall that turns on at 3-4 pm and turns off at 7 pm could -- if it actually runs that way -- reduce my peak charges by up to 5 kW (for one powerwall) or 10 kW (for 2 powerwalls). That will actually pay for itself in around 8-10 years.

Why Tesla Energy claims that jurisdictions like MESA, AZ are such that they will not do business here and not install any solar energy or powerwalls?
This is also the reason many companies left Arizona, or never came. Some prefer to go to Europe or China than keep their PhDs and research in Arizona.

Why Tesla Energy claims that jurisdictions like MESA, AZ are such that they will not do business here and not install any solar energy or powerwalls?
This is also the reason many companies left Arizona, or never came. Some prefer to go to Europe or China than keep their PhDs and research in Arizona.
I didn't go with Tesla, I went with Sunrun and had no issues getting my PWs at installation time, (Nov 21), and now am generating more than we use. Also, to refute your statement about companies leaving Arizona, (I live in AZ), that could be further than the truth. LOTS of companies are coming here AND Intel is EXPANDING.