Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some random thoughts on Tesla's competitive advantage...

First, Tesla needs an enduring competitive advantage if they're going to be successful in the long-term. The bigger the competitive advantage, the larger Tesla can become as a company.

Second, many of Tesla's current competitive advantages might not be enduring or big. For example, Tesla's expertise in electric powertrain... well, other EVs are hitting the market and will continue to do so and EV powertrain expertise will be gained by other manufacturers as well. Sure, Tesla can remain in the lead with EV powertrain expertise but the advantage might grow increasingly narrow as time goes on.

One can point to Tesla's low battery/pack costs as an competitive advantage. However, batteries are fairly straightforward. Tesla has some innovation and tech here, but Panasonic is making the cells for them. And I don't see Tesla's advantage here that great. I think Tesla has the best quality cells (from Panasonic, and modified for auto use) and at the lowest price (especially with the coming Gigafactory). However, other companies (ie., LG Chem) will likely be competitive as they grow and scale their own large battery factories. Again, Tesla doesn't have a super amazing breakthrough in battery tech that they're leveraging right now. It's mostly economies of scale with the GF, and that can be copied.

One can point to Tesla's approach to own their own sales and service centers. However this is a mixed bag, especially in areas where current Tesla service centers are overloaded and it takes several weeks to get an appointment for annual service. At this point, I think Tesla owning their own service centers can be a competitive advantage in the future, but at this point I'm not sure if it really is overall.

One can point to Tesla's supercharger network as a competitive advantage. Yes, it is. However, again it can be fairly easily copied. A couple auto manufacturers can invest money and can roll out a competitive supercharging network and also integrate the charging tech into their own cars. Auto makers have cash, many billions of it, and they can deploy some of it for charging. Long-term, I don't think this is a huge competitive advantage for Tesla... unless they have a breakthrough in charging speed (will talk about this in a bit).

One can point to Tesla's software expertise as a competitive advantage. However, increasingly there are tech/software companies that are partnering with auto companies to provide tech and software services. One example, is NVIDIA is providing a complete platform for auto makers to create autonomous driving solutions. They might even eventually provide something turnkey. Google is likely interested in providing help to auto makers, as is Apple as well. What software expertise auto makers lack can be made up from help from software/tech companies.

So, where is this all leading?

I think there are a couple areas that have potential to serve Tesla as an enduring competitive advantage.

First, if Model 3/Y do well and Tesla is able to make some decent profit (ie., in billions of dollars), I think Tesla can invest some big cash into developing some true energy storage innovations, namely supercapacitors. If Tesla can discover and commercialize a breakthrough in supercapacitors, then it can do a few things. First, it can reduce charging time drastically and solve the long-distance travel problem for EV cars. Second, it can provide an enduring competitive advantage since it's a new discovery and truly a new product (vs batteries are innovating slowly). If Tesla can find a breakthrough with supercapacitors, they can make their cars much lighter which will make it handle better and get better range as well. Supercapacitors can also possibly lead to new forms of transport, like flying cars and flying backpack jets (ie., put on backpack to fly). The big problem with batteries right now is that they're heavy and don't store a ton. If supercapacitors can solve the weight and capacity problem, then the world is truly wide open for Tesla.

Second, Tesla is becoming a conglomerate of sorts - power generation, storage, autos... but even with autos, they are doing cars, autonomous driving, charging tech, service centers, sales... and even getting into trucks, ride-sharing, minibuses, etc. There's a lot of things that are going under Tesla's roof, and Tesla is doing a lot of vertical integration as well. All of this requires complex coordination that Tesla is doing very well at right now. This can be an advantage in the future as well, if Tesla can become super-efficient with such vertical integration and coordination across many aspects of the company.

Same is true with Apple iPhone. Apple simply outsourced all their stuff. Every year we hear iPhone killers but never really happen.

Tesla competitive advantage is simply they move fast:
- Autopilot fatality led them to Tesla Vision
- Long distance travels issue led them to Supercharger Program
- First EV to have over 300 miles EPA
- Fastest production car you can buy P100D
- Factory production bottleneck leads them to Alien Dreadnought program
- and many more... you get the point.
- and yes to your point, once they reach battery bottleneck, they will probably come up with something better like.. supercapacitors.

Sure everything can be copied, but Tesla moves fast, they have a product-focused CEO. Co-founders Ewon and JB still very much involved. I think that's tesla competitive advantage.

Here is another thing. If Tesla failed, Ewon can kiss goodbye to his Mars dream. He said it himself that he is accumulating assets for Mars dream, and you can imply he meant Tesla. So he will definitely fight for Tesla.

Plus they got an Academy Award Best Actor Leo to help evangelize the importance of sustainable energy future ;)

Last edited:
Some random thoughts on Tesla's competitive advantage...

First, Tesla needs an enduring competitive advantage if they're going to be successful in the long-term. The bigger the competitive advantage, the larger Tesla can become as a company.

Second, many of Tesla's current competitive advantages might not be enduring or big. For example, Tesla's expertise in electric powertrain... well, other EVs are hitting the market and will continue to do so and EV powertrain expertise will be gained by other manufacturers as well. Sure, Tesla can remain in the lead with EV powertrain expertise but the advantage might grow increasingly narrow as time goes on.

One can point to Tesla's low battery/pack costs as an competitive advantage. However, batteries are fairly straightforward. Tesla has some innovation and tech here, but Panasonic is making the cells for them. And I don't see Tesla's advantage here that great. I think Tesla has the best quality cells (from Panasonic, and modified for auto use) and at the lowest price (especially with the coming Gigafactory). However, other companies (ie., LG Chem) will likely be competitive as they grow and scale their own large battery factories. Again, Tesla doesn't have a super amazing breakthrough in battery tech that they're leveraging right now. It's mostly economies of scale with the GF, and that can be copied.

One can point to Tesla's approach to own their own sales and service centers. However this is a mixed bag, especially in areas where current Tesla service centers are overloaded and it takes several weeks to get an appointment for annual service. At this point, I think Tesla owning their own service centers can be a competitive advantage in the future, but at this point I'm not sure if it really is overall.

One can point to Tesla's supercharger network as a competitive advantage. Yes, it is. However, again it can be fairly easily copied. A couple auto manufacturers can invest money and can roll out a competitive supercharging network and also integrate the charging tech into their own cars. Auto makers have cash, many billions of it, and they can deploy some of it for charging. Long-term, I don't think this is a huge competitive advantage for Tesla... unless they have a breakthrough in charging speed (will talk about this in a bit).

One can point to Tesla's software expertise as a competitive advantage. However, increasingly there are tech/software companies that are partnering with auto companies to provide tech and software services. One example, is NVIDIA is providing a complete platform for auto makers to create autonomous driving solutions. They might even eventually provide something turnkey. Google is likely interested in providing help to auto makers, as is Apple as well. What software expertise auto makers lack can be made up from help from software/tech companies.

So, where is this all leading?

I think there are a couple areas that have potential to serve Tesla as an enduring competitive advantage.

First, if Model 3/Y do well and Tesla is able to make some decent profit (ie., in billions of dollars), I think Tesla can invest some big cash into developing some true energy storage innovations, namely supercapacitors. If Tesla can discover and commercialize a breakthrough in supercapacitors, then it can do a few things. First, it can reduce charging time drastically and solve the long-distance travel problem for EV cars. Second, it can provide an enduring competitive advantage since it's a new discovery and truly a new product (vs batteries are innovating slowly). If Tesla can find a breakthrough with supercapacitors, they can make their cars much lighter which will make it handle better and get better range as well. Supercapacitors can also possibly lead to new forms of transport, like flying cars and flying backpack jets (ie., put on backpack to fly). The big problem with batteries right now is that they're heavy and don't store a ton. If supercapacitors can solve the weight and capacity problem, then the world is truly wide open for Tesla.

Second, Tesla is becoming a conglomerate of sorts - power generation, storage, autos... but even with autos, they are doing cars, autonomous driving, charging tech, service centers, sales... and even getting into trucks, ride-sharing, minibuses, etc. There's a lot of things that are going under Tesla's roof, and Tesla is doing a lot of vertical integration as well. All of this requires complex coordination that Tesla is doing very well at right now. This can be an advantage in the future as well, if Tesla can become super-efficient with such vertical integration and coordination across many aspects of the company.

All good points. I agree Tesla doesn't have a deep moat in any of the points you raised here. But, collectively, it's hard to beat Tesla on every one of them, and thus Tesla has the advantage. For example, new startups focusing on EVs might be close on the drivetrain, but they lack the resource to build the supercharger network or get a competitive price on battery. Big OEMs may have the power to lay out a supercharger network and get a low price on battery, but their development in drivetrain may not go that well due to internal inertia. Tesla doesn't need to keep its #1 place in all these areas to be #1 in EV. As long as Tesla is in tier 1 in all areas and no one else is enjoying a similar position, Tesla would be fine. As we see Tesla keeps its leadership position in all these areas, leaving trails for different companies to catch up, that itself is one of the biggest advantage.

And yeh, the vertical integration stuff as well.

I am doubtful about the supercapcitators stuff though. As far as I know, supercapacitors have much lower specific energy than li-ion batteries in exchange for much higher power output. So yes, you can charge much faster, like <5 min to 100% provided the charger can take that much current and not burn down. But you get much shorter range for the same weight of the car. If we're talking about a rather general breakthrough in energy storage technology, then anything is welcomed of course.

I expect an 80/20 split for owners in TN, with autonomous rid
Same is true with Apple iPhone. Apple simply outsourced all their stuff. Every year we hear iPhone killers but never really happen.

Tesla competitive advantage is simply they move fast:
- Autopilot fatality led them to Tesla Vision
- Long distance travels issue led them to Supercharger Program
- First EV to have over 300 miles EPA
- Fastest production car you can buy P100D
- Factory production bottleneck leads them to Alien Dreadnought program
- and many more... you get the point.
- and yes to your point, once they reach battery bottleneck, they will probably come up with something better like.. supercapacitors.

Sure everything can be copied, but Tesla moves fast, they have a product-focused CEO. Co-founders Ewon and JB still very much involved. I think that's tesla competitive advantage.

Here is another thing. If Tesla failed, Ewon can kiss goodbye to his Mars dream. He said it himself that he is accumulating assets for Mars dream, and you can imply he meant Tesla. So he will definitely fight for Tesla.

Plus they got an Academy Award Best Actor Leo to help evangelize the importance of sustainable energy future ;)

This is a lot closer to how I see Tesla's competitive advantage as well. More generally, regardless of one's industry, if your competitive advantage is primarily in terms of something technical, then your competitive advantage will be fleeting as technical stuff can be copied and superseded.

Real competitive advantage comes from the culture of innovation, adaptation, and speed around evolving the technology and product.

When I look at Tesla, I don't see a competitive company because they're the only car maker that is good at building electric car. I see the only company that approaches the whole industry from a software paradigm. This not only meaning that Tesla is learning from its users and the industry, but also incorporating those learnings back into their product constantly. Not once or twice per model year, and not only into newly built vehicles, but into all vehicles (firmware updates) as well as constant production line changes for newly built cars.

Cycle time and feedback swallows scale in the modern economy, and I don't see anybody in the car industry competing with Tesla in this paradigm.

Uber has the challenge before it of figuring out how to incorporate hardware into their software paradigm. I'd bet on Uber figuring that out over any of the existing car makers figuring out how to transition to a software paradigm, though I think it's more likely Uber and Tesla find a good way to coexist, than that one "kills" the other competitively (one more focused on network for ride sharing, and one more focused on building hardware -- both working from a software and learning paradigm).

The list of technical advantages that you listed @DaveT are all, to me, current manifestations of Tesla's actual competitive advantage. Those are important. More important is whether we believe Tesla behaves in a fashion that will lead to it creating new technical competitive advantages, and whether that will happen faster or slower than other companies create technical advances to close the gap.

Second, Tesla will largely depend on individual owners and Uber might just buy their own autonomous cars. In that case, Tesla will need to ensure enough revenue/profit to the individual owners to make it appealing enough for them to lend out their cars. Individual owners will likely be more hesitant to lend out their cars, so the profit must be appealing enough.
Dave, I agree that convincing individual owners to lend their cars might be somewhat of an uphill battle. I won't be lending my Model 3.

However, if we run some conservative numbers based on:

a) Undercutting Uber
b) Elon's statement that "most of the profits would go to the people"

Imagine the following --

$0.80 / mile (gross)
70/30 revenue split
100,000 miles / year
Assume 50% duty cycle (i.e. use 200,000 total miles for fueling, maintenance)

Yearly Revenue
$56,000

Yearly Costs
Fuel ($0.04/mile) = $8000
Tires ($800 / 40,000 miles) = $4000
Maintenance = $2000
$14,000

Upfront investment
$43,000
(Base vehicle cost + full self-driving)

Profit
Year 1 = ($1000)
Year 2 = $42,000
Year 3 = $42,000
etc.

Thus, using somewhat conservative numbers the breakeven for a Model 3 Robotaxi purchase is roughly ONE year. Thereafter, the robotaxi generates $42,000 profit for every 100,000 passenger miles.

The point being -- if the economics work out anything like shown, Tesla doesn't need to convince owners to share their PERSONAL cars.

Why wouldn't enterprising individuals purchase (additional) Model 3s solely to operate as Robotaxis? Or, in fact, why wouldn't entire businesses form around such purchases?

Meanwhile, Tesla just sits back and captures 30% for handling the billing and the software.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
What am I missing?

Ride prices drop as robotaxis become the norm. But ofcourse for a short transition period, owning a robotaxi is a license to print money.

Eventually prices will drop so that you get few percentage ROI and the big fleet owners will dominate, because they can negotiate best prices for cars, insurance, maintenance etc.

Ride prices drop as robotaxis become the norm. But ofcourse for a short transition period, owning a robotaxi is a license to print money.

Eventually prices will drop so that you get few percentage ROI and the big fleet owners will dominate, because they can negotiate best prices for cars, insurance, maintenance etc.

The big fleet owners will also dominate because they will have a standard quality people expect and maintenance people on call to go out and deal with cars when somebody throws up in them or does something else.

Reactions: Crowded Mind
The big fleet owners will also dominate because they will have a standard quality people expect and maintenance people on call to go out and deal with cars when somebody throws up in them or does something else.

And since Level 5 implies a shift from ownership to taxi fleets that in turn implies a shift away from new car dealerships to direct sales from manufacturers to companies (or manufacturers operating their own taxi companies). So in case anyone was wondering about Tesla going with franchised dealers, the answer is no, that doesn't fit with Elon Musk/Tesla's long-term vision. (Level 5 also implies a NADA v Manufacturer lawsuit in a fight for survival. NADA's already tried to stir the pot on advanced driver assistance in an attempt to slow down the move to autonomy.)

Dave, I love your contribution to this forum. I wonder though if you might be missing out on the biggest long-term strategic advantage for Tesla: network effects. In tech companies generally, those that have achieved high profitability have done so through network effects. Microsoft, and its common standards of Windows, Word, etc, that forced everyone to buy Microsoft because everyone else was. eBay, where buyers went to where the sellers were and vice versa.

For Tesla, there are a couple of real possibilities here. First off the supercharger network. It's true that in principle another company or companies can duplicate. But on any scenario, this will take a year or two to roll out. So if you imagine any individual EV buyer in say 2019 looking at choices, even if the vehicles themselves had identical specs, Tesla's is going to be more appealing because of supercharging immediately available. So they gain marketshare, thereby funding a more rapid roll-out of supercharging and likely increasing Tesla's lead. It would take a truly massive commitment by competitors to catch up. Maybe they will... but the history of entrenched competitors against disruptivre newcomers suggests otherwise.

Secondly, giga-factory manufacturing. Let's say that, as seems highly likely, in 2019, this is giving Tesla a genuine cost-advantage. Then again, that will drive greater sales and greater profits Tesla's way and fund further giga-factory expansion and allow them to command ever lower prices from suppliers. Someone looking to catch up with their 2+ year lead will likely have to risk spending and executing at a rate 2x Tesla has. It's possible, but would take amazing courage. They're more likely to look for alternative technologies. Plus, by incorporating energy as a business, Tesla can achieve much greater scale than anyone focused purely on autos. The cost-savings driven by millions of residential batteries will allow them to deliver the world's most cost-efficient electric cars. No other auto company will adopt this same strategy. Instead they'll rely on the likes of LG Chem... which means they have a commodity product shared by many others, except Tesla. The main vulnerability here is that a new technology emerges which the gigafactories can't switch to... but in the foreseeable future there's going to be a beautiful network effect running to Tesla's advantage.

Third, autopilot map-building. The genius of Tesla's roll-out of AP2, combined w its OTA capability means that will have a huge lead over anyone else in mapping the world in language that car's computer brains can understand. So even if someone else matches their AP software and hardware, a buyer will prefer the car that is adding new functionality more quickly -- because it safely can. Tesla's hundreds of thousands of Model 3s will be a vast multi-limbed octopus exploring every nook cranny of planet earth and turning it into radar and video data that train its brain to achieve super-powers simply unavailable to other cars. It's like two babies born, one in Boston, one in a remote village. They have the same IQ. But the one exposed to knowledge has all the opportunities and becomes much more accomplished. Life is unfair.

And finally, there's the ultimate network-effect of the combination of the above. When Elon says he's obsessed with building the machine that builds the machine, he's not just talking about the gigafactory or the alien dreadnought. He's talking about the entire eco-system that integrates gorgeous aesthetic design, with cost-efficient manufacturing, with world-beating software development, with high-speed data accumulation, with a vast and growing supercharging network, with low-cost energy storage, with ingenious financial modeling, and last but not least, an intuitive instinct about what will truly excite customers. It's that whole SYSTEM that is the ultimate competitive advantage. Every part feeds every other part. You might be able take on bits of it, but I don't see anyone replicating the entire system. And by the time they did, Tesla would have moved on, for example by leveraging all the above into a potentially Uber-beating service.

Elon's genius is that he can see how all these parts fit together to create something extraordinary. Something which organizes matter in a way that can thrill, delight and create value. He has a similar incredible eco-system building at SpaceX. It's this superpower of his that give me confidence the SolarCity merger can work. I really think we're witnessing the teenage years of what will become the world's most valuable company.

Dave, I love your contribution to this forum. I wonder though if you might be missing out on the biggest long-term strategic advantage for Tesla: network effects. In tech companies generally, those that have achieved high profitability have done so through network effects. Microsoft, and its common standards of Windows, Word, etc, that forced everyone to buy Microsoft because everyone else was. eBay, where buyers went to where the sellers were and vice versa.

For Tesla, there are a couple of real possibilities here. First off the supercharger network. It's true that in principle another company or companies can duplicate. But on any scenario, this will take a year or two to roll out. So if you imagine any individual EV buyer in say 2019 looking at choices, even if the vehicles themselves had identical specs, Tesla's is going to be more appealing because of supercharging immediately available. So they gain marketshare, thereby funding a more rapid roll-out of supercharging and likely increasing Tesla's lead. It would take a truly massive commitment by competitors to catch up. Maybe they will... but the history of entrenched competitors against disruptivre newcomers suggests otherwise.

Secondly, giga-factory manufacturing. Let's say that, as seems highly likely, in 2019, this is giving Tesla a genuine cost-advantage. Then again, that will drive greater sales and greater profits Tesla's way and fund further giga-factory expansion and allow them to command ever lower prices from suppliers. Someone looking to catch up with their 2+ year lead will likely have to risk spending and executing at a rate 2x Tesla has. It's possible, but would take amazing courage. They're more likely to look for alternative technologies. Plus, by incorporating energy as a business, Tesla can achieve much greater scale than anyone focused purely on autos. The cost-savings driven by millions of residential batteries will allow them to deliver the world's most cost-efficient electric cars. No other auto company will adopt this same strategy. Instead they'll rely on the likes of LG Chem... which means they have a commodity product shared by many others, except Tesla. The main vulnerability here is that a new technology emerges which the gigafactories can't switch to... but in the foreseeable future there's going to be a beautiful network effect running to Tesla's advantage.

Third, autopilot map-building. The genius of Tesla's roll-out of AP2, combined w its OTA capability means that will have a huge lead over anyone else in mapping the world in language that car's computer brains can understand. So even if someone else matches their AP software and hardware, a buyer will prefer the car that is adding new functionality more quickly -- because it safely can. Tesla's hundreds of thousands of Model 3s will be a vast multi-limbed octopus exploring every nook cranny of planet earth and turning it into radar and video data that train its brain to achieve super-powers simply unavailable to other cars. It's like two babies born, one in Boston, one in a remote village. They have the same IQ. But the one exposed to knowledge has all the opportunities and becomes much more accomplished. Life is unfair.

And finally, there's the ultimate network-effect of the combination of the above. When Elon says he's obsessed with building the machine that builds the machine, he's not just talking about the gigafactory or the alien dreadnought. He's talking about the entire eco-system that integrates gorgeous aesthetic design, with cost-efficient manufacturing, with world-beating software development, with high-speed data accumulation, with a vast and growing supercharging network, with low-cost energy storage, with ingenious financial modeling, and last but not least, an intuitive instinct about what will truly excite customers. It's that whole SYSTEM that is the ultimate competitive advantage. Every part feeds every other part. You might be able take on bits of it, but I don't see anyone replicating the entire system. And by the time they did, Tesla would have moved on, for example by leveraging all the above into a potentially Uber-beating service.

Elon's genius is that he can see how all these parts fit together to create something extraordinary. Something which organizes matter in a way that can thrill, delight and create value. He has a similar incredible eco-system building at SpaceX. It's this superpower of his that give me confidence the SolarCity merger can work. I really think we're witnessing the teenage years of what will become the world's most valuable company.
+1 - I've been saying for some time, and it was more true several years ago, that an investment in TSLA is largely an investment in Elon's ability to see the future before anyone else and then make it.

A few years into things and it's still true, now we're just enmeshed in a marketplace that is taking off more points for missing the expected timeline and profitability of the future. But what he has said will happen has, and what he is saying will happen will.

@dennis Since you asked for critical feedback, I'll give it a shot.

Autos have proven to be low-margin, cut-throat businesses. This is why auto makers have such low P/E multiples. It takes a ton of capital to scale and when a recession hits it's difficult to scale back without a lot of losses. And the overall auto market isn't growing much and will likely shrink due to ride-sharing and eventually autonomous cars. So, with autos we might see a shrinking overall market in terms of number of autos sold. Tesla might be a rising star in the auto market, but it might not be that exciting if the overall market for autos is shrinking. Tesla needs to find a way to reinvent the business model in autos (ie., transportation as a service), but they have yet to have done that.

With solar, it's also proving to be a low-margin, cut-throat business. Companies are having a difficult time surviving. And now Tesla wants to enter this field. They'll have their work cut out for them.

With battery storage, it seems like a huge and open field. But what's stopping battery storage from becoming a low-margin, cut-throat business (with low P/E multiples) like autos and solar? Tesla's battery storage system tech can be copied, and other companies will gain similar advantages to GF as they scale production. Sure, Tesla might produce more with the GF and have a lower cost, but that cost gap will likely decrease over time as competition becomes more intense. What Tesla really needs is a true technological breakthrough in energy storage. They don't have that yet.

Regarding competition, you mention startups and large auto markers. But I think the real competition is likely going to come from large tech companies, like Google, Uber, Apple, Nvidia, etc. They will provide tech such as autonomous driving to auto makers, and that's how auto makers will bridge the gap with new tech such as autonomous driving. LG Chem and others will provide batteries at competitive costs and can even help with powertrain expertise as well. Sure, it looks like Tesla has an unsurmountable lead right now in EVs, but that gap will likely close over time.

And even if Tesla sells as many cars as BMW or Mercedes, that doesn't mean TSLA will appreciate that much in value (ie., 2x?). Look at the market caps of BMW and Mercedes. Tesla needs to give investors something more than just a typical auto maker business if they want higher multiples. Again, perhaps they can lead the transportation as a service industry... but again Tesla has to prove itself in that arena.

Anyway, I'm super bullish on Tesla long-term but it's not because I like the auto making business, solar business, etc. And not because I like Tesla's current competitive advantages (I think Tesla needs to accrue better and more defensible competitive advantages). But I see a credible path for Tesla to reinvent the business model in autos and I also see a credible path for Tesla to reach a true breakthrough in energy storage w/in the next 10 years. If they can do that, we can talk about Tesla becoming the most valuable company in the world.

So, just wanted to clarify what I said about margins and expound on a few other things.

First, I called the auto industry a low-margin, cut-throat business... and my point being is that's the context of the market Tesla is trying to reinvent. However, this market is also shrinking, most likely, as well. Am I saying Tesla can't have decent margins? No. I'm just saying from an investor perspective, they are going to be skeptical and hesitant to give tech/internet multiples of valuation.

Second, Tesla has struggled with gross margin. Before some of you get upset, look at the facts. Tesla ought be be over 30% gross margin by now. This was their stated goal a couple years ago but they weren't able to reach it. They even made it a milestone for a stock option plan that was given to incentives (not the one for Elon, but for his management team). Also, Elon's stock incentive plan gives a milestone of 4 consecutive quarters of 30% margin or greater. It looks like Tesla is not going to make this milestone since time has basically run out since they will start Model 3 production and that will lower gross margins.

The question we need to ask is why hasn't Tesla been able to reach 30%+ gross margins. BMW and Mercedes have over 20% gross margin and their ASPs are much lower. Tesla has a very, very high ASP of over $90k/vehicle, and it should be within reach for Tesla to achieve 30% or even 35% gross margins with the S/X already by this point.

My theory is that gross margins have suffered with the S/X because Tesla has had to continue to add improvements and not charge for them to keep their annual demand of 50-60k Model Ss/year (and also X). In other words, if demand was more robust, Tesla could have improved the car and charged higher prices, thus growing their gross margin significantly. However, demand has rather been stagnant of the Model S the past couple years (at 50-60k/year) and this is even with Tesla adding improvements (ie., free supercharging, Autopilot, improved options, etc). Basically, Tesla has been improving the car but not charging for improvements in order to keep demand where it's at (50-60k/year for Model S), and this hasn't allowed them to grow their gross margin to the expected level of over 30% for 4 consecutive quarters.

So, why do I bring this up? It's just to show that Tesla is not immune to the industry that they're part of. Yes, they can say that they're going to achieve 30% gross margin for 4 quarters in a row, and that sounds manageable especially if you're selling $90k cars, but it's not that easy... especially when there's a lot of luxury cars to choose from.

With Model 3, Tesla seems to be aiming for a 25% gross margin but if they're having difficult reaching 25% with Model S/X then it might not be easy to reach 25% with Model 3. Also, with Model 3 it appears that Elon is opting for volume as a priority. As a result, I think gross margin is likely going to suffer as Elon wants to make the car as attractive as possible to as many people as possible, and that's going to require Tesla making the car better and better and probably not increasing the price. My guesstimate is that Tesla might have 20% gross margin on the Model 3 in 2018. Not bad... but not revolutionary.

I think it's possible that Enhanced Autopilot (and fully self-driving option) can increase gross margins, but I still think Tesla won't be able to hit their 30% GM target for 4 consecutive quarters in the near future.

Gross margin though is important because it profoundly affects valuation.

For example, let's say by 2020 Tesla sells a million cars. To be conservative, 100k Model S/X ($90k ASP). 500k Model 3 ($42k ASP). 400k Model Y ($43k ASP).

Revenues would be $9 billion for Model S/X, $21 billion for Model 3, and $17.2 billion for Model Y. That would be a total of $47.2 billion in revenue.

Let's say GM for Model S/X is 30% ($2.7B), for Model 3/Y let's say 22.5% ($8.6B). Gross profit would be $11.3B. Net profit would likely be roughly half or less than that (when compared w/other auto makers). That would mean net profit of about $5 to $5.5B. Let's be generous and say, $5.5B in net profit (note: this has a lot of factors that I'm not discussing here due to length).

Now, the big question is what multiple are investors willing to pay. Let's for the sake of the argument remove all other parts of Tesla's business and just focus on making autos. So, we're not including Tesla Network, Tesla Semi, TE, etc.

The going P/E multiple for auto makers is somewhere between 5-10.

If we give Tesla a P/E multiple of 10, then that would value Tesla (at least their auto) at $55 billion. Now you might be able to argue that Tesla could fetch a higher P/E multiple than that for their autos since they're probably still growing at that point. But being 2016 at the moment, we're unable to see that far into the future, so I'm comfortable with giving Tesla a $55B valuation for their auto division in 2020. I hope that they're growing like a weed in making cars in 2020, so that Tesla can fetch a higher multiple for their autos. But I like to be somewhat conservative so I won't go higher at this point that a 10 P/E on 2020 numbers.

So, if I'm investing in Tesla just for their auto division then I would be hoping/expecting/targetting Tesla's market cap to grow from $27.5B to $55B in 2020. However, due to dilution the stock price probably wouldn't double. So, if the stock is $193 today, we might be looking at stock price of $330 or so in 2020.

I hope that doesn't disappoint folks here too much. But if you disagree would look to hear your numbers on how you'd value Tesla auto in 2020.

So, as an investor, I'm not too excited about Tesla auto. Going from $193 to $330 in 2020 isn't my definition of a super exciting investment, especially considering the risks involved in getting there as well.

To me, the reason I'm long (and very long) on TSLA is because I'm getting an "option call" of sorts on three possible mega businesses:
1. Tesla Semi - if Tesla can disrupt the trucking industry worldwide, we're talking about hundreds of billions of dollars of market cap added to Tesla. I won't work out the numbers here due to time, but you can research how large the global trucking industry is and make your own conclusions.
2. Tesla Network - transportation as a service is a much more lucrative business than making autos, IMO. While making and selling cars is a low margin and highly capital intensive business, selling rides (ie., ridesharing, etc) is a potentially low capital and much easier-and-faster-to-scale business.
3. Tesla Energy - while some here are hugely bullish on TE over the next couple years, I'm more reserved. I think we'll have good growth and contribution to revenue, but I think margin might be low (ie., 15-20%). But that might be offset by rapid expansion. However, expansion will be offset by tons of competitors flooding the market as well. Overall, I think Tesla Energy will be a positive contributor over the next few years, but not sure if it will really add more than $5-10B in market cap in the next two years. I'm more excited about the long-term potential of Tesla discovering a true energy storage breakthrough that will allow them to expand into more businesses and become the true dominant player in energy. But my timeline horizon is more looking out at least 5-10 years for this.

So when I divide up my TSLA investments in different arenas of Tesla, I think autos give a decent foundation to the stock in the sense that I think Model 3 will be a huge success and provide Tesla will billions of dollars of gross profit that will let them invest in more areas. I'm hugely bullish on the Model 3 as a fan. As an investor, I'm more confident and mildly optimistic on its impact to the stock price.

Personally, with TSLA I look at it like I'm paying right now $200 for their auto business, $50 for an option call on Tesla Semi, $50 for an option call on Tesla Network, and $50-100 for an option call on Tesla Energy. So, I get $350-400 in value for $200 (current stock price).

So, just wanted to clarify what I said about margins and expound on a few other things.

First, I called the auto industry a low-margin, cut-throat business... and my point being is that's the context of the market Tesla is trying to reinvent. However, this market is also shrinking, most likely, as well. Am I saying Tesla can't have decent margins? No. I'm just saying from an investor perspective, they are going to be skeptical and hesitant to give tech/internet multiples of valuation.

Second, Tesla has struggled with gross margin. Before some of you get upset, look at the facts. Tesla ought be be over 30% gross margin by now. This was their stated goal a couple years ago but they weren't able to reach it. They even made it a milestone for a stock option plan that was given to incentives (not the one for Elon, but for his management team). Also, Elon's stock incentive plan gives a milestone of 4 consecutive quarters of 30% margin or greater. It looks like Tesla is not going to make this milestone since time has basically run out since they will start Model 3 production and that will lower gross margins.

The question we need to ask is why hasn't Tesla been able to reach 30%+ gross margins. BMW and Mercedes have over 20% gross margin and their ASPs are much lower. Tesla has a very, very high ASP of over $90k/vehicle, and it should be within reach for Tesla to achieve 30% or even 35% gross margins with the S/X already by this point.

My theory is that gross margins have suffered with the S/X because Tesla has had to continue to add improvements and not charge for them to keep their annual demand of 50-60k Model Ss/year (and also X). In other words, if demand was more robust, Tesla could have improved the car and charged higher prices, thus growing their gross margin significantly. However, demand has rather been stagnant of the Model S the past couple years (at 50-60k/year) and this is even with Tesla adding improvements (ie., free supercharging, Autopilot, improved options, etc). Basically, Tesla has been improving the car but not charging for improvements in order to keep demand where it's at (50-60k/year for Model S), and this hasn't allowed them to grow their gross margin to the expected level of over 30% for 4 consecutive quarters.

So, why do I bring this up? It's just to show that Tesla is not immune to the industry that they're part of. Yes, they can say that they're going to achieve 30% gross margin for 4 quarters in a row, and that sounds manageable especially if you're selling $90k cars, but it's not that easy... especially when there's a lot of luxury cars to choose from.

With Model 3, Tesla seems to be aiming for a 25% gross margin but if they're having difficult reaching 25% with Model S/X then it might not be easy to reach 25% with Model 3. Also, with Model 3 it appears that Elon is opting for volume as a priority. As a result, I think gross margin is likely going to suffer as Elon wants to make the car as attractive as possible to as many people as possible, and that's going to require Tesla making the car better and better and probably not increasing the price. My guesstimate is that Tesla might have 20% gross margin on the Model 3 in 2018. Not bad... but not revolutionary.

I think it's possible that Enhanced Autopilot (and fully self-driving option) can increase gross margins, but I still think Tesla won't be able to hit their 30% GM target for 4 consecutive quarters in the near future.

For example, let's say by 2020 Tesla sells a million cars. To be conservative, 100k Model S/X ($90k ASP). 500k Model 3 ($42k ASP). 400k Model Y ($43k ASP).

Revenues would be $9 billion for Model S/X, $21 billion for Model 3, and $17.2 billion for Model Y. That would be a total of $47.2 billion in revenue.

Let's say GM for Model S/X is 30% ($2.7B), for Model 3/Y let's say 22.5% ($8.6B). Gross profit would be $11.3B. Net profit would likely be roughly half or less than that (when compared w/other auto makers). That would mean net profit of about $5 to $5.5B. Let's be generous and say, $5.5B in net profit (note: this has a lot of factors that I'm not discussing here due to length).

Now, the big question is what multiple are investors willing to pay. Let's for the sake of the argument remove all other parts of Tesla's business and just focus on making autos. So, we're not including Tesla Network, Tesla Semi, TE, etc.

If we give Tesla a P/E multiple of 10, then that would value Tesla (at least their auto) at $55 billion. Now you might be able to argue that Tesla could fetch a higher P/E multiple than that for their autos since they're probably still growing at that point. But being 2016 at the moment, we're unable to see that far into the future, so I'm comfortable with giving Tesla a $55B valuation for their auto division in 2020. I hope that they're growing like a weed in making cars in 2020, so that Tesla can fetch a higher multiple for their autos. But I like to be somewhat conservative so I won't go higher at this point that a 10 P/E on 2020 numbers.

So, if I'm investing in Tesla just for their auto division then I would be hoping/expecting/targetting Tesla's market cap to grow from $27.5B to $55B in 2020. However, due to dilution the stock price probably wouldn't double. So, if the stock is $193 today, we might be looking at stock price of $330 or so in 2020.

I hope that doesn't disappoint folks here too much. But if you disagree would look to hear your numbers on how you'd value Tesla auto in 2020.

So, as an investor, I'm not too excited about Tesla auto. Going from $193 to $330 in 2020 isn't my definition of a super exciting investment, especially considering the risks involved in getting there as well.

To me, the reason I'm long (and very long) on TSLA is because I'm getting an "option call" of sorts on three possible mega businesses:
1. Tesla Semi - if Tesla can disrupt the trucking industry worldwide, we're talking about hundreds of billions of dollars of market cap added to Tesla. I won't work out the numbers here due to time, but you can research how large the global trucking industry is and make your own conclusions.
2. Tesla Network - transportation as a service is a much more lucrative business than making autos, IMO. While making and selling cars is a low margin and highly capital intensive business, selling rides (ie., ridesharing, etc) is a potentially low capital and much easier-and-faster-to-scale business.
3. Tesla Energy - while some here are hugely bullish on TE over the next couple years, I'm more reserved. I think we'll have good growth and contribution to revenue, but I think margin might be low (ie., 15-20%). But that might be offset by rapid expansion. However, expansion will be offset by tons of competitors flooding the market as well. Overall, I think Tesla Energy will be a positive contributor over the next few years, but not sure if it will really add more than $5-10B in market cap in the next two years. I'm more excited about the long-term potential of Tesla discovering a true energy storage breakthrough that will allow them to expand into more businesses and become the true dominant player in energy. But my timeline horizon is more looking out at least 5-10 years for this.

So when I divide up my TSLA investments in different arenas of Tesla, I think autos give a decent foundation to the stock in the sense that I think Model 3 will be a huge success and provide Tesla will billions of dollars of gross profit that will let them invest in more areas. I'm hugely bullish on the Model 3 as a fan. As an investor, I'm more confident and mildly optimistic on its impact to the stock price.

Personally, with TSLA I look at it like I'm paying right now $200 for their auto business, $50 for an option call on Tesla Semi, $50 for an option call on Tesla Network, and $50-100 for an option call on Tesla Energy. So, I get $350-400 in value for $200 (current stock price).

How do you see and value SCTY in this mix? I know you're talking about now, but with the merger coming up fast, how would you add or subtract SCTY to this equation?

Reactions: aubreymcfato
The question we need to ask is why hasn't Tesla been able to reach 30%+ gross margins.

My theory is that gross margins have suffered with the S/X because Tesla has had to continue to add improvements and not charge for them to keep their annual demand of 50-60k Model Ss/year (and also X).

I humbly submit that from 2015 Q4 to 2016 Q2, Tesla's margins on the X was absolutely horrendous. I calculated that that the gross margin on the X in Q2 was likely around 11%. And since the S is built on the same line, any hold up on the shared portions of that line would affect the gross margin on the S too. Further, if they can't build the quantity of X's they thought they were going to build, with only 40% parts commonality, they can only build so many S's in their place with the ordered parts on hand.

In Q3, Tesla hit 25% automotive gross margin w/o SBC and ZEV credits even as the percentage of X's increased to 35% of deliveries and presumably the ASP and gross margins on the S went down. That's an increase from 23.9% automotive gross margin with 32% of deliveries.

I do think that there is a margin hit for continuing to add improvements, but I'm not so sure they do a lot of that because of demand issues. Maybe, but maybe not. Quite a few of the changes appear to be long running developments and they tend to ship them as soon as they are ready to ship (or sometimes slightly before).

Reactions: tlo and dennis

I understand your analysis, but I believe you are overlooking one key factor on how WS assigns value, and that is growth. If TA grows from $8B in 2016 to $47.2B in 2020 that is a 56% CAGR. The 5 year CAGR for the auto industry is 10.9%. (F: Ford Motor Co Top Competitors and Peers). That means Tesla would be growing revenue 5 times faster than the industry. The industry P/E is 8.5. WS does not assign the same P/E to a company growing at 55% that it does to one growing at 11%. So your 2020 valuation of TA is likely off by a factor of 2 or more, which would imply a valuation of at least $100B.

Look at Amazon. They are similar to Tesla in that they are using technology to disrupt very large low margin businesses. There net margin is only 2.5%. But their current P/E is 173, and that is at the low end of their historical P/E valuation. (Amazon.com PE Ratio (TTM) (AMZN)) They are also valued at 3.3 times sales, while the auto industry P/S is .5. I'm not saying that we can expect for Tesla in 2020 to have the same multiples as Amazon. But clearly with a big success for the Model 3 and 56% CAGR Tesla won't be valued the same as the legacy auto industry either.

I think Elon's (and Tesla's) ace in the hole (if there is one) is the effort being put toward engineering the "machine that builds the machine". I also think that it is the biggest unknown and we can't really put a figure on it yet. If you believe Elon the improvements will be exponential.

I think that unlike the existing large players Tesla is unencumbered (yet) by massive scale, labor unions and is in a good position to implement some exciting changes to the manufacturing side. This has the potential to improve margin percentages significantly without increasing consumer prices.

Thanks Dave.

I suspect your auto valuation is on the very conservative side simply for the growth potential involved at the time. But I agree it's a good conservative number to start with.

The two main risks I see with Tesla at this point are:

1. A serious slippage with the Model 3 production ramp. Given their track-record and where they currently appear to be both with tooling and prototypes, and considering the possibility of unforeseen production/parts problems, there's a non-zero chance that Model 3s will miss their 2017 targets. I think this would potentially be both a financial strain on the business and would be punished harshly by Wall Street.

2. A calamity event. This could take the form of negative findings from the NHTSA on the current autopilot investigation, multiple crashes autopilot deaths in the rollout of the new AP2.0 software, but most importantly, a hardware recall-event on the Model 3. The combination of Model 3 volumes plus lack of service centers could make a Model 3 recall devastating.

I think Tesla is aware of their cash needs and vehicle gross margins as nearly all of their recent moves have been to either increase prices or remove the lowest cost options from the list. I imagine Jason Wheeler is driving a lot of this:
  • Obsolete the Model X 60D
  • Obsolete the P90D in favor of the higher margin P100D
  • Pushing hard to release the standard 100kWh pack to obsolete all 90kWh packs (release imminent)
  • Increase price of AP1.0 option by $500
  • Ship AP 2.0 hardware with large price increase
  • Create revenue stream from supercharger use
Finally, an additional concern would be Tesla's massive (unplanned) slowdown in CapEx, which would seem to most affect supercharger and service center build plans. Again, if not rectified, this will catch up to them when the Model 3 arrives.

Imo, it's pretty sad that $100K+ cars like Model S/X can only yield Gross Margin in the 25-27% for Tesla. They really need to reach their original target of 35% Gross Margin for S/X cars. I hope with software based option (Tesla Vision/Self Driving, 75kwh Upgrade), they can reach 40% with S/X line. The higher Gross Margins is very important, because Tesla needs to pay for its own Service Center, Stores, Sales/Campaign and Supercharger. Traditional auto has lower GM% is understandable because they have middlemen Dealerships.

Tesla Energy if they only got 15-20% Gross Margin, also sad. Right now Powerwall 2 is already like 4x more cost efficient than competitors (LG, Sonen, Daimler), I just don't understand.. When you are 4x better in terms of cost efficacy, with integrated inverter, why only aim for 15-20% Gross Margin? especially early in the game? they should've aimed for at least 25-30% Gross Margin.

I feel like Tesla mispriced in so many ways.. Apple Gross Margins on iPhone is 60%+. When you got a product that's superior in so many ways, I see no reason not to charge premium. Look at P100DL, $150K car but with super car status (Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari level performance). I think P100DL should've been a $200K car, and I bet people who wants electric supercar would still want it. Again, I feel like Tesla mispriced it's higher end in so many ways..

Reactions: DaveT
Your goalposts are all over the place. Q3 automotive gross margin (GAAP, excluding ZEV) was 29.4% while ASP was $81,000. Gross margin is obviously well in excess of 30% for any configuration costing $100K+

29.4% was GAAP INCLuding ZEV.

I am just talking hypothetically at high level, please don't nitpick it. My point is, for a luxury car that sells direct to End Customer, 25-29% GM is considered very low. Elon was targeting 35% back in 2013. In early 2014 we reached 28% Non-GAAP, Our latest earnings 2016-Q3 Non-GAAP GM was only 25%... our GM is declining.

Reactions: DaveT
Status
Not open for further replies.