Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Asked to pay remaining balance" question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read in some threads that, apparently, Tesla asks you to pay your remaining balance before delivery of the car?

Is this true?

If so, what kind of crack is Tesla on?

Give me the car. AFTER I inspect it and I am ready to drive away, THEN you get your check.

Anything less is a lawsuit. I'm getting a little sick of Tesla the company right now. I don't "wait" well and I certainly don't do b.s.

It is true that the website will ask for payment in full. But you are not required to pay until you pick up the car and complete your inspection of it.

In my case I just submitted my payment online using their website right before I left the delivery center with my vehicle. I was not required to offer proof of funds or wait for the funds to be received. It’s very casual.

I've read in some threads that, apparently, Tesla asks you to pay your remaining balance before delivery of the car?

Is this true?

Give me the car. AFTER I inspect it and I am ready to drive away, THEN you get your check.

Anything less is a lawsuit. I'm getting a little sick of Tesla the company right now. I don't "wait" well and I certainly don't do b.s.
Here is a simple solution: buy a car from some other company. Problem solved!

Is this true?

In states that tesla is not allowed to sell in, you have to make full payment before (like texas). In california, you can absolutely take a check with you to inspect the car before you hand it to them.

Sounds like you are already ready to be mad at tesla about the delivery of your car before you even get there. These boards can do a great job of making it seem like the sky is falling for every single tesla purchase and interaction, and it simply...isnt... true.

Sure, people have issues just like every other business.... But a lot of people (including me) had very little problems with tesla both before and after pickup. Dont let these boards or stuff that hasnt even happend to you yet get you all worked up.

Reactions: edigest

Is this true?

I’m in CA and I gave the home delivery guy a personal check after inspecting. So you are ok with what you want to do.

However, I don’t understand how “anything less is a lawsuit”. If you don’t like their policy, you cancel the order, get the order fee back, and move on. What law or contract would Tesla break to warrant a lawsuit if they ask for payment prior to delivery?

Tesla is a quirky company. There are many great things about it, but there are a lot of things that will for sure require patience. You say you don’t “wait”. If you ever have service issues, you are most likely going to have to wait and be patient in interacting with Tesla. It is an excellent car for many people, but if Tesla, the company, bothers you already, it may be better to look at other options.

In states that tesla is not allowed to sell in, you have to make full payment before (like texas). In california, you can absolutely take a check with you to inspect the car before you hand it to them.

Sounds like you are already ready to be mad at tesla about the delivery of your car before you even get there. These boards can do a great job of making it seem like the sky is falling for every single tesla purchase and interaction, and it simply...isnt... true.

Sure, people have issues just like every other business.... But a lot of people (including me) had very little problems with tesla both before and after pickup. Dont let these boards or stuff that hasnt even happend to you yet get you all worked up.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Reactions: ord3r