Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of ordering Tesla in NH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there's already a nice thread here.

Reactions: WyoDude
I was excited to take advantage of the FSD transfer option. I own a 2018 M3LR. I placed the order for 2023 ($250) and began the process of selling my 2018, lining up insurance and getting financing for the remaining balance. Today Tesla informed me that my new car had to be picked up in NJ! Or I could pay to have a
car hauler deliver it. No other option, wouldn’t let me pick it up 50 mi away in MA. I canceled my order. They refuse to refund my $250. Bait and switch at its finest. Companies that treat customers like this don’t last long. If you live in a state without a Tesla center BEWARE!

I'm sorry to hear that this disappointed you but I don't think this is a bait and switch at all. I'm in NH too and did a lot of researching about the buying process before placing my order and came across this thread. When I went to do my test drive in April at the Dedham, MA SC the sales advisor who helped me asked if I knew what the options were for a NH resident and I told him that I'd pick it up in NJ rather than pay the $750 home delivery fee.

As someone else mentioned, there was also some language about this in the purchase agreement documents and FAQ available once I placed my order. I made it to Paramus, NJ as planned to pick it up and drove it home and it went just fine. I moved here from MA a couple of years ago and I'm incredibly glad that I didn't have to pay any MA sales tax and everything I read before and during the purchase process said that MA requires the payment of sales tax if a car is picked up in that state even if someone resides in a different state. This is a MA mandate and is not something Tesla can get around. You can thank the MA government for that - it's not Tesla's fault.

I was excited to take advantage of the FSD transfer option. I own a 2018 M3LR. I placed the order for 2023 ($250) and began the process of selling my 2018, lining up insurance and getting financing for the remaining balance. Today Tesla informed me that my new car had to be picked up in NJ! Or I could pay to have a
car hauler deliver it. No other option, wouldn’t let me pick it up 50 mi away in MA. I canceled my order. They refuse to refund my $250. Bait and switch at its finest. Companies that treat customers like this don’t last long. If you live in a state without a Tesla center BEWARE!
Nope. You didn’t do your homework. There are plenty of posts about living in NH and buying a Tesla.

Hmm....Just have AAA Tow to haul it over to NH? That would avoid having to pay the taxes.
I have bought several (not Teslas) cars from Massachusetts dealers. Each time an employee of the dealership drove the vehicle to a NH DMV site and I took possession there. This is how one gets around the sales tax. If you take delivery in MA a NH resident is subject to the MA sales tax.

Reactions: herrlich98
I have bought several (not Teslas) cars from Massachusetts dealers. Each time an employee of the dealership drove the vehicle to a NH DMV site and I took possession there. This is how one gets around the sales tax. If you take delivery in MA a NH resident is subject to the MA sales tax.
So there is a benefit to the dealership model after all :D

Reactions: JBT66 and Maxdriver
A wild story I heard many years ago was this:

A NH guy so wanted to get the car of his dream right then and there at the MA dealership lot that he asked the dealership to pay him $1 to hire him to "deliver" his newly purchased car to himself in NH. The dealership agreed and that's how it's done.

Yeah that's the kind of crap that you hear about with Tesla from time to time. I would have asked to speak to someone in the mothership about all this. Totally ridiculous that they would require you to drive to New jersey! That's nuts. There are a few less pleasant experiences than going from New Jersey to New England in traffic.