Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At what point in the ordering process can I add the roof rack for a model Y ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that Service Centers will store roof racks, you have to order them on-line,
and delivery time is absolutely unpredictable, not tracking provided. They should be shipped to your home.
And then you can make an appointment to get them installed if you don't feel confident doing it yourself.

I don't think that Service Centers will store roof racks, you have to order them on-line,
and delivery time is absolutely unpredictable, not tracking provided. They should be shipped to your home.
And then you can make an appointment to get them installed if you don't feel confident doing it yourself.
Aha. Well, I'm pretty handy, so if I do this it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks very much!

Aha. Well, I'm pretty handy, so if I do this it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks very much!
Do you know if it’s like the Model 3 where there’s a high risk of cracking the glass (and why I had Tesla do the install even though I’m relatively handy)? I’d like to get racks for my new MY and am trying to determine whether they’re installed differently and there’s less chance of cracking the glass.

-Paul

Do you know if it’s like the Model 3 where there’s a high risk of cracking the glass (and why I had Tesla do the install even though I’m relatively handy)? I’d like to get racks for my new MY and am trying to determine whether they’re installed differently and there’s less chance of cracking the glass.

-Paul
"I know nothing!" as Caption Klink would say. This is all pre-sales research I'm doing.

It's a bit scary that this could crack the glass? Is that common?

Richard

"I know nothing!" as Caption Klink would say. This is all pre-sales research I'm doing.

It's a bit scary that this could crack the glass? Is that common?

Richard
I did some reading last night and apparently word is to hand-tighten the racks during install rather than use a torque wrench and torque the bolts down to spec. I also went ahead and ordered aftermarket racks after reading reviews and seeing the price difference…

-Paul

Thanks Paul, that's very helpful.. What/whose rack did you order?

Geez, I'd never use a motorized tool on something like that. I learned my lesson long ago and have a pretty good "feel" as to when to stop tightening anything.

My very first post here was asking about roof racks and I included a link to the Tesmag rack, asking if there was a difference other than price. The post was not allowed as it was considered a marketing spam. Grrr.

If you have the time, could you please let me know how it goes when you do the installation?

Many thanks,
Richard

I ordered the Tesery racks - rated for higher weight than the OEM factory Tesla racks, seems to have good reviews, and includes free shipping. Currently on sale for $299 plus a halloween promo discount automatically added at checkout. I think I got another $20 off. I ended up adding a few other things including some PPF and the updated swivel screen to get to $500 to get a $80 off discount.

Tesery Racks

-Paul

Reactions: Tesery
Thanks again Paul. After a bit more digging:

From the Tesery website FAQ page:
8. Does this roof rack system lock in place?
Yes. An integrated security system locks each tower to the roof of your Model 3/Y.
9. How much weight can I put on the Model 3 Roof Rack?
The maximum load rating of the roof rack is 100kg /220lbs. This maximum weight includes the weight of any attachments as well.
$299 list

From Tesmag
Anti-Theft Lock Equipped Tesla Model 3 & Model Y Roof Rack (Set of 2) - $279.00 USD rated at 220 lbs also.

Tesla racks are rated at 165 lbs / $500

Reactions: Deaf Paul
OP, I don't know about how car registration works in your state, but in many states, it is based on the purchase price of the car and slowly depreciates over the years. Out here I never buy things WITH the car that can be added after purchase because it increases the registration fees.

OP, I don't know about how car registration works in your state, but in many states, it is based on the purchase price of the car and slowly depreciates over the years. Out here I never buy things WITH the car that can be added after purchase because it increases the registration fees.
Interesting. I'm not sure how that works here in NY, but it was pretty much a no brainer to buy the Tesmag racks for $221 less and with 55lbs more carrying capacity.

My racks from Tesery arrived several days ago and were well packaged. I was pretty surprised at the quick delivery since I’m in the middle of the ocean and most shipping to hawai’i takes several weeks via boat. Tesery’s shipping was free too.

I plan to try to install them tomorrow if I can find a couple of hours free in the day.

-Paul

Reactions: Tesery
My racks from Tesery arrived several days ago and were well packaged. I was pretty surprised at the quick delivery since I’m in the middle of the ocean and most shipping to hawai’i takes several weeks via boat. Tesery’s shipping was free too.

I plan to try to install them tomorrow if I can find a couple of hours free in the day.

-Paul
Awesome, let me know how it goes. I'm getting the rack to carry wood and am curious about how far apart they can be placed. I'm good with ropes (hey, don't go there 😁 ) and have straps, so anchoring plywood sheets etc. to the rack won't be a problem. It's just that the further apart they are, the better the support. And from photos I've found, it looks like they can be installed tilted down a bit so I don't have to worry about going airborne.

I even found this photo, camping on a Tesla? Seems like a contradiction in terms!

1697946628886.png

I'm getting the rack to carry wood and am curious about how far apart they can be placed.
If the install is anything like how the factory racks went on our Model 3s, there will be no option to place them further or closer to each other. There will be 4 specific anchor points built into the roof of the car for the racks.

That’s wild about the camper on the roof of that MY. :oops:

-Paul