Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack & 4x8 plywood sheets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a roof rack to carry wood on my model Y (still awaiting vehicle delivery).

I have straps to hold down everything, and can see the racks themselves aren't a full 48" wide, but don't really see that as a problem.

I'm wondering though:
  1. To those who've had experience in doing this, any tips?
  2. Will the plywood lie parallel to the road, or to I need ailerons in case I go airborne?
  3. Are the racks curved or flat?
TIA

- Richard

Don't forget about the weight limitation... if you have a lot to carry a lot, maybe consider using a trailer if yoiu have a tow hitch.
And the uplift, plywood turns into a sail in the wind.

I'm getting a roof rack to carry wood on my model Y (still awaiting vehicle delivery).

I have straps to hold down everything, and can see the racks themselves aren't a full 48" wide, but don't really see that as a problem.

I'm wondering though:
  1. To those who've had experience in doing this, any tips?
  2. Will the plywood lie parallel to the road, or to I need ailerons in case I go airborne?
  3. Are the racks curved or flat?
TIA

- Richard

All in all, this is a really bad idea.

1698707138099.png

1698707043839.png

1698707001665.png

Last edited:
Will the plywood lie parallel to the road, or to I need ailerons in case I go airborne?

Looking at some other TMC threads, I found some interesting pictures
showing that the two roof rack bars seems to be horizontaly aligned:
(which is not the case for the Model 3)

Model Y - Kayak 02 .jpg

- The stern of the kayak seems to be paralell to the side walk:

Model Y - Kayak 03 .jpg

- The bottom of the kayak seems to be parallel to the bricks lines on the wall.

Model Y - Kayak 01b .jpg

Note: I would strongly recommend adding straps at the front and the rear
when carrying any object much longer than the distance betwen the two roof rack bars.

Here are some TMC threads dealing with this subject:

Details of Bow and Stern Lines for Kayak, Canoe, etc on the roof: Tow eye?
Attached Hood Loop? Quick Hood Loop? Hitch? Attaching some other way?

What are my best options to carry a kayak or surfboards
on/with my Tesla Model 3, 2022? I did not yet buy the Tesla cross bars.

Kayak & Canoe Tie Down Points

Loading Kayak Onto Roof Rack

Good recommendations videos for installing a roof rack:

Model Y roof rack

Watts_Up,

Wow, thanks so much for all this information. In a previous life (before retirement) I did a lot of canoeing and kayaking, so I'm very familiar with racks & tie downs. I just have to figure out how to protect the paint, which I'll figure out once I get the car.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

- Richard

Reactions: Watts_Up
However flat they are, they'll be flatter once you put the plywood on them 🤣
Good one! Being a woodworker, I'll trace their profile and make flat boards of some sort to lie on top and possibly extend them out a bit to fully support sheet good widths. I'm NOT one to carry an entire palette of wood (that photo above is hysterical). At most, 1-2 sheets, sometimes lumber, and knowing their weights, definitely will not exceed rack limit recommendations.

I think I've seen worse photos than that one. In fact we go to the Goodwill Outlet a lot and there is at least one hoarder who goes there regularly. He just got a new vehicle too - probably because the old one was "full" - or maybe the suspension just finally gave out

The funniest one (though perhaps not for the occupants) was the one where they must have bought a 5 gal can of paint and were taking it home in the back of their civic when they had to stop so suddenly the the paint can must have come flying forwards and yes, the ENTIRE interior of the car was now a pale shade of beige

Something like this

1698938692829.png

or this

1698938830734.png

I think I've seen worse photos than that one. In fact we go to the Goodwill Outlet a lot and there is at least one hoarder who goes there regularly. He just got a new vehicle too - probably because the old one was "full" - or maybe the suspension just finally gave out

The funniest one (though perhaps not for the occupants) was the one where they must have bought a 5 gal can of paint and were taking it home in the back of their civic when they had to stop so suddenly the the paint can must have come flying forwards and yes, the ENTIRE interior of the car was now a pale shade of beige

Something like this

View attachment 987277

or this

View attachment 987278
And people think I'm uptight about what I'll use my car for transporting... Just hysterical photos on this thread

So, I did it, but haven't used it yet. For fun I'm posting this for y'all. I'm aware of the weight restrictions and don't plan to use this to carry a ton of wood. The limit would be 200lbs to be on the safe side. 3/4" plywood is 60-70 lbs/sheet, 2x4's approx. 10 lbs. so I'd buy & load up accordingly. I wanted a flat surface for this, so:
  • Before mounting the racks I traced the curvature of each one on the side of 2x6 boards
  • cut out the curved portion on the bandsaw
  • routed slots for the bungee cords that will hold them to the racks so I can slide wood on top. They should conform (rotate as necessary) to the flatness of the wood
  • THEN, once I get the wood slid onto the boards, I'll use some good straps to tie it all down to the actual racks themselves, which will make it all tight and secure (that's the plan anyhow), and drive home very carefully. Boards or smaller pieces will get tied together with rope & fastened to the racks as necessary.
1704916744887.png

The racks themselves are only about 46" wide if I recall correctly, so I made the boards 50" long to accommodate 48" wide sheets.

I suspect the racks will still flex to some degree, but hopefully not too much as the ends of the boards are sitting solidly on the rack feet.

Thoughts and comments welcome. I'm not an engineer, but I THINK this should work ok.

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I might be tempted to bold the wooden formers to the metal racks. maybe fur bolts per (with countersunk heads of course - and making sure the bolt stem didn't get anywhere near the roof glass) The bolts should point down of course