Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
just a curious to see what audio setup people have done to their Tesla

So far I am aware of

1. Stock
2. Upgrade to stock with subwoofer
3. Sub addon NVX kit
4. Light Harmonics speaker system
5, Renus Speaker System

Any other out there that's different?

I got Stock with NVX Sub Kit going to being install later this week.

Well, CD..I'm using a 128GB USB stick with file bit rate 192 or 256 :)

The 1k was to add a subwoofer and amp. Stock was a bit flat for me
Cool. But can you really tell the value of what you spent when you are listening on the road? When the teenager from down the street roars by in his Ford 150?

When you are on the Interstate at 65 mph or more?

Or even 40 mph.

So I turned down the enhanced audio on my Model S90D last year.

I did buy the Premium Interior, and the Sun Roof, and red paint.

For my wife's car.

I just was not convinced that the standard sound was not good enough. When driving on the 405 or the 210 or the 605 with trucks and teenagers roaring by me. Or MBs or Audis.

Does anyone have different data?

Cool. But can you really tell the value of what you spent when you are listening on the road? When the teenager from down the street roars by in his Ford 150?

Or even 40 mph.

Yes.

Recommend you visit your nearest owners club gathering. Bring your favorite uncompressed audio files on a USB stick. Odds are someone will have a Reus system. They'll probably be happy to let you listen - both at rest and at whatever speed you like.

While many of us who added Reus enhancements did so because we wanted to get as close to the accuracy of a home system without spending $20K or more (Reus systems for Teslas are in the $3-5K range), they will also get plenty loud if that's what you want.

In any case, road noise is not a problem, and the neighbor kid's loud Mustang can't keep up with our cars anyway.

Or even 40 mph.

Yes.

Recommend you visit your nearest owners club gathering. Bring your favorite uncompressed audio files on a USB stick. Odds are someone will have a Reus system. They'll probably be happy to let you listen - both at rest and at whatever speed you like.

Or visit with Cliff and Kyle at Reus Audio in Orange, CA. Rick Reus might be there as well - they've been doing audio for a long while. Very approachable people.

While many of us who added Reus enhancements did so because we wanted to get as close to the accuracy of a home system without spending $20K or more (Reus systems for Teslas are in the $3-5K range), they will also get plenty loud if that's what you want.

In any case, road noise is not a problem, and the neighbor kid's loud Mustang can't keep up with our cars anyway.

Reactions: Vern Padgett

For my wife's car.

I just was not convinced that the standard sound was not good enough. When driving on the 405 or the 210 or the 605 with trucks and teenagers roaring by me. Or MBs or Audis.

Sure - the first example that comes to mind is that there's a hole in the midrange from the standard audio that is filled by the UHFS.

In my first S, I added Reus to the base audio.

In the second S, I added that same Reus package on top of the premium audio.

And by same, I mean same - the deal with a Reus system is it's the last Reus system you'll buy - they move it from car to car for the cost of labor.

If all you listen to is streaming audio in the car, stick with the base audio - that's the right call.

If you prefer uncompressed audio files, have a solid home system, and prefer as little dropoff as possible whilst on the road, then consider Reus.

Talk to Cliff Johnson at Reus - he doesn't bite. Tell him the guy with the fridge and espresso machine sent you. Don't worry - he'll still talk with you :).

Vern, while you are right that you will always contend with road noise and wind noise, that doesn't change that the overall quality of what you are hearing is DRAMATICALLY different. I ordered my car with UHFS, and quite honestly, while it may be better than the standard audio, it sucks. The woofer is out of sync with the rest, and it is pumping from what sounds like 600hz down to 20hz, and muddling it all together. The lows are not at all distinct, and messy, but it does have some lows at least vs. standard audio.

The Reus system I got (new subwoofer, new tweeters, and most importantly, new and precise crossovers) completely transformed my system. I have other Tesla owners who sit in it and are blown away. Now that doesn't take away that there will be road noise and wind noise while driving, but when you spend the number of hours I do in the car during commute... having an awesome sound system is a huge thing.

I have no doubt that the Light Harmonic system ($1800), or even simply the NXT sub upgrade has similar impacts (although IMO not as good as a Reus system (3-5k)).

Getting this car transformed my commute... between autopilot and the audio system, everyday I keep wishing my commute was even longer!

For my wife's car.

My first S I installed the light harmonic speakers with the NVX sub to replace the standard system and it was an upgrade for sure. The bass makes a world of difference to the overall sound. The light harmonic were definitely an upgrade, but not as much as I would have liked for the price. Upgrading car audio is always in the eye of the beholder lol, if you have never heard a really high quality system or perhaps just don't really care and think your home TV sounds as good a movie theater then that's fine just isn't your thing. For those of us that have upgraded home systems and enjoy a high quality system then we're willing to spend more lol.

I'm about to upgrade my second S's standard system with a custom system I plan to install myself. It'll be a fully active system with a 3-way setup in front (8" in doors, 3" with tweets in the A-pillars), 2 way coaxial for the rears, and 2 subwoofers. I will have in the neighborhood of $5-7k in it by the time I'm done, but for me I love the sound. Secondarily for me I just love the process of building the system and putting the pieces together and the achievement of tuning and installing/fabbing everything myself.