Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with my EDD recently slipping to Jan/Feb, me needing to ensure I can beat the winter forecast and make it back to Nor Cal for the holidays, and also not missing my ski trip to J Hole, I've been preparing to be away from Reno (my delivery center) from 12/18 - 12/30.

Ain't no way Tesla somehow pushes me back to a December EDD, right?!?!?!
I'm almost starting to feel like they know. I was around epically for all EDDs and original December delivery. Now of course, my EDD is falling into a large portion of the window where I will be in the UAE early next year. It's like half of the window. So yes, I expect about 45 mins into flight, maybe about 10 minutes after i can connect to wifi, I will be getting a VIN and series of communications from Telsa that I won't possibly be able to do anything about.

At this point, I'll probably just laugh. But honestly, and I am not trying to be dramatic, I entertain ideas of just switching to another brand as so many things are coming out. I'm in the position of not needing a car, I just felt it was time to upgrade. And when I went out to look, I was most impressed by the MYLR. Things change quickly in the EV world.

I hope that’s true about the trade-in text being a precursor to VIN match, but…well, any number of memes come to mind. So you’re telling me there’s a chance, don’t give me hope, it’s the hope that kills you, and so on.
The thing that came to my mind that was funny is that anyone trusts anything that SA, DC, or otherwise tell them on the Tesla end.

I mean, this forum is littered with rumors that came from SA conversations, none of which seem to hold up. I got the trade-in text 3+ weeks ago. The only thing that's happened since then is my EDD got pushed back into next year.

Reactions: samori01
So with my EDD recently slipping to Jan/Feb, me needing to ensure I can beat the winter forecast and make it back to Nor Cal for the holidays, and also not missing my ski trip to J Hole, I've been preparing to be away from Reno (my delivery center) from 12/18 - 12/30.

Ain't no way Tesla somehow pushes me back to a December EDD, right?!?!?!
No, there is a way it happens. It is happening to be right now. I had a Dec 13-27 that became Jan 26-Feb 23. At which point I decided that my December has freed up and I can make some travel plans. On Sunday I get a text from Tesla to prepare for delivery. I respond by email to my SA saying that I am physically not able to take delivery, and can do so only on Jan 3. Then the SA texts me if I don’t respond by scheduling a date my order will be canceled. I call the 1888 number and they say I have to work with my SA, but transfer me and I speak to someone else who says that if I don’t do anything the VIN goes to someone else and I will not have to worry. Then 48 hours later, I see a hold till April 2022 with an “I am ready button”. Then later that day, I see EDD Dec 14-19. Then yesterday I get a new VIN again. I called the SA this time and they are not very straightforward. I made it clear that I want to take delivery of this vehicle and they cannot be arbitrarily assigning EDDs and asking people to take delivery way sooner than that and jerking people’s lives around. I said I have 30 days to complete my order which starts Dec 12 ( date of first notification), and so put me on hold till Jan 3. He said he will get back to me on what he can do.

so long story short, be prepared for anything.

does anyone have any advice here? After paying nearly 60K for a car, the least they can do is make it possible to take delivery in person in a relaxed manner!

Reactions: DrGriz
No, there is a way it happens. It is happening to be right now. I had a Dec 13-27 that became Jan 26-Feb 23. At which point I decided that my December has freed up and I can make some travel plans. On Sunday I get a text from Tesla to prepare for delivery. I respond by email to my SA saying that I am physically not able to take delivery, and can do so only on Jan 3. Then the SA texts me if I don’t respond by scheduling a date my order will be canceled. I call the 1888 number and they say I have to work with my SA, but transfer me and I speak to someone else who says that if I don’t do anything the VIN goes to someone else and I will not have to worry. Then 48 hours later, I see a hold till April 2022 with an “I am ready button”. Then later that day, I see EDD Dec 14-19. Then yesterday I get a new VIN again. I called the SA this time and they are not very straightforward. I made it clear that I want to take delivery of this vehicle and they cannot be arbitrarily assigning EDDs and asking people to take delivery way sooner than that and jerking people’s lives around. I said I have 30 days to complete my order which starts Dec 12 ( date of first notification), and so put me on hold till Jan 3. He said he will get back to me on what he can do.

does anyone have any advice here? After paying nearly 60K for a car, the least they can do is make it possible to take delivery in person in a relaxed manner!
Are you based in CA? Not sure why they are repeatedly pushing the car on you. Towards the last 2 weeks, they want to make sure as much of their finish inventory is "sold" so they start filling orders close to the plant.

The thing that came to my mind that was funny is that anyone trusts anything that SA, DC, or otherwise tell them on the Tesla end.

I mean, this forum is littered with rumors that came from SA conversations, none of which seem to hold up. I got the trade-in text 3+ weeks ago. The only thing that's happened since then is my EDD got pushed back into next year.
The amount of SA's that give useless or inaccurate information are a dime a dozen. Then there are the few that actually do know more about your car and what your soft match delivery date is on their side. There is no way that they do not know anything more than the EDD we see. The only thing I can see being true is there are some SA's that have access to more information than other SA's that are located in showrooms. It seems like the DC SA's know the most information.

Reactions: Naija King
The amount of SA's that give useless or inaccurate information are a dime a dozen. Then there are the few that actually do know more about your car and what your soft match delivery date is on their side. There is no way that they do not know anything more than the EDD we see. The only thing I can see being true is there are some SA's that have access to more information than other SA's that are located in showrooms. It seems like the DC SA's know the most information.
I guess you don't have a Tesla until you see it for yourself on Delivery day, before that, nothing is set in stone

I can understand them trying to push those who booked February-June or something like that and have had a hold for many months. But for others like you, they should offer the car to the next person. Unless your mid-west location does not have too many people of the same configuration to push it to.
Then post it on the inventory page and it'll be sold in 5 minutes instead of making up something out of sync with the purchase agreement or pushing it on a customer while souring what has already likely been a less then outstanding buying experience. There is an old cynical saying... "strive for neutral" which seems to be the extent of the SA training program that covers the Tesla customer service ops during the buying process.

I've seen some posts that seem to be giving the projected customer (i.e. soft match) an " almost welcome to the family" text to confirm or defer delivery. To me it sounds like the timing of the text is pre-shipment presumably so they don't ship to a delivery center that can't immediately reassign it to another customer, so maybe it they are only sending that text to smaller DCs or more rare configurations (as-if there are a lot of possible configurations in the first place).

If that's true, it's a step in the postive direction, even if only the texts are focused sends.

The only thing I can see being true is there are some SA's that have access to more information than other SA's
This is my understanding. When errors occurred I had some SAs that said yeah I can't see what the issue is. Then one gent took some time and said. Hold on. I'm going to open another program that he had access to that not all of them have access to. From this he was able to provide a plethora of details, all very specific.

Good luck!

This is my understanding. When errors occurred I had some SAs that said yeah I can't see what the issue is. Then one gent took some time and said. Hold on. I'm going to open another program that he had access to that not all of them have access to. From this he was able to provide a plethora of details, all very specific.

Good luck!
Proof in point, I just called another DC near me to test out if they knew anything and he said what you see on the site is my best guess. Yet when I called my actual DC yesterday, he was able to dig deeper into my account and tell me what the soft match was. It's purely luck of the draw who you talk to.

Reactions: Oddmanout
Sorry, but this entire post strikes me as the LEAST likely scenario.

So, in your mind, Tesla built a system for SA to see production schedules and only shared it with some of them? LOL.

Either way, in this case, the SA is saying with confidence something that I can, through personal direct experience, verify as false.

Do I think Tesla has a system where they can probably see some production timelines in the backend? I do. I think SA have learned that it moves so much (supply chain, canceled orders, truck breaks down, etc) that they can either tell you what it says knowing that could be wrong but you won't blame them, fabricate a story that makes you feel better, or blow you off. All are just meant to get you off the phone, and it's not a surprise that different SAs would take different routes depending on their personality. Hell, some of them probably throw all three options into a typical day just to spice up the calls.

"Let me click and see....hmmm...oh look, they updated our super secret sales advisor delivery portal with elves, that's cool. Very festive. Anyway, still clicking around here...." - bro, they're on their tiktok.

• Funny
Reactions: 45thParallel
Sorry, but this entire post strikes me as the LEAST likely scenario.

So, in your mind, Tesla built a system for SA to see production schedules and only shared it with some of them? LOL.

Either way, in this case, the SA is saying with confidence something that I can, through personal direct experience, verify as false.

Do I think Tesla has a system where they can probably see some production timelines in the backend? I do. I think SA have learned that it moves so much (supply chain, canceled orders, truck breaks down, etc) that they can either tell you what it says knowing that could be wrong but you won't blame them, fabricate a story that makes you feel better, or blow you off. All are just meant to get you off the phone, and it's not a surprise that different SAs would take different routes depending on their personality. Hell, some of them probably throw all three options into a typical day just to spice up the calls.

"Let me click and see....hmmm...oh look, they updated our super secret sales advisor delivery portal with elves, that's cool. Very festive. Anyway, still clicking around here...." - bro, they're on their tiktok.
See, I see your post as being false. You really think that people at the delivery centers are kept in the dark? They have access to what cars will be being produced and shipped to their delivery center as they have to prepare for them to arrive. They dont just get notified from the plant the day of and are told "Oh btw, we have 3 trucks on the way to you right now". They don't want to give you the "soft match" date because they don't want to be crucified if its wrong, which it seems people like you would do based off your pent up anger towards sales advisors. Not sure how you can discredit what they told me is wrong as you don't have access to their information. I have seen plenty of people receive a soft match and it turned out to be accurate so like I said, it's always a hit or miss.

Reactions: afscotch and ap105
See, I see your post as being false. You really think that people at the delivery centers are kept in the dark? They have access to what cars will be being produced and shipped to their delivery center as they have to prepare for them to arrive. They dont just get notified from the plant the day of and are told "Oh btw, we have 3 trucks on the way to you right now". They don't want to give you the "soft match" date because they don't want to be crucified if its wrong, which it seems people like you would do based off your pent up anger towards sales advisors. Not sure how you can discredit what they told me is wrong as you don't have access to their information. I have seen plenty of people receive a soft match and it turned out to be accurate so like I said, it's always a hit or miss.
What exactly is a soft match? And is a EDD of June/July too early to get a date for a soft match?

Reactions: seeb
What exactly is a soft match? And is a EDD of June/July too early to get a date for a soft match?
It's a back-end date of when they have your configuration scheduled for production and for you to receive a VIN. It's usually a 10 day window. A hard match is when you actually get a VIN assigned to you. Not too sure about the EDD tbh. I would probably wait as it gets a little closer, maybe a month before?

Reactions: ap105
It's a back-end date of when they have your configuration scheduled for production and for you to receive a VIN. It's usually a 10 day window. A hard match is when you actually get a VIN assigned to you. Not too sure about the EDD tbh. I would probably wait as it gets a little closer, maybe a month before?
Thanks! I really hope the June/July EDD is just a placeholder and EDD moves up. Ideally March-April would be good. Seems like most have been getting their cars within 12-16wks from ordering.

Reactions: seeb