Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it really depends. A friend of mine drove his MY all winter last year when it was new (150 m round trip) and had no problems, he said. But then he got Nokian snow tires for this season, so maybe it wasn't quite as good as he implied. Where I live I'm a little bit of an outlier, even for my community. Road is plowed late (sometimes days later than the main roads). Just this week my neighbor's Audi spent the night stuck on our road. There's a foot of snow in my driveway because the plow hasn't been here for a day and a half.

So, yes. Different amounts and types of snow or ice. I have had (rare) slideoffs in several cars with all season tires, never with snow tires. You can usually adjust for conditions with all seasons, but you often have to drive much less aggressively with much less margin for error.

From what I've read, sudden regenerative braking causes the rear tires on Teslas to lock up, resulting in fishtailing in slick conditions. You can adjust by feathering the accelerator pedal, but good snow tires are going to reduce the likelihood of that happening much better.
On this topic...if getting aftermarket snows,

DONT FORGET: request that 4 tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS) are left in your car at pickup. You need tesla sensors (aftermarket don't work) for your aftermarket tires.

Once you have a VIN you can call them and pay for them. Prior to that it's not possible because service can't tie the part request to a physical vehicle.

Finally got my VIN 355xxx! OD 8/26 Blue/White 5 seater.
Hell yeah, Make it Rain Elon!
download (1).jpg

So seeking any advice as I search for a wierd accessory.

Was out with the vehicle and needed a charge. But after the freezing rain the charge port cover wouldn't open. Even after chipping ice away. The top seam of the port cover had ice frozen in it. Tried using heat from my hand to melt it on its own. No luck. Sadly, in end, a combination of my warm spit and my hand held on the cover and the metal panel loosened it up.

While frostbite and spitting on my car worked I need an "in case of emergency" solution to have on hand and would rather not leave it to me needing to always to remember to fill a thermos with hot water.

Thoughts?
Small spray bottle with cold weather wiper fluid to act as a de-icer? Not sure if stores sell actual de-icer fluid, so maybe swing by a local geneal avaitation airport and makes friends with some of the flightline guys?

• Funny
Reactions: samori01 and DrGriz
Small spray bottle with cold weather wiper fluid to act as a de-icer? Not sure if stores sell actual de-icer fluid, so maybe swing by a local geneal avaitation airport and makes friends with some of the flightline guys?
Thanks. Aerospace background so will talk to some of my pilot and ground crew buds.

Other option I'm looking at, just don't know how long they take to heat up or if there's enough residual energy after unplug to melt the port

DONT FORGET: request that 4 tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS) are left in your car at pickup. You need tesla sensors (aftermarket don't work) for your aftermarket tires.

Once you have a VIN you can call them and pay for them. Prior to that it's not possible because service can't tie the part request to a physical vehicle.
On that note, probably not the best place to ask, but, do you need the new TESLA TPMS sensors reprogrammed by TESLA, or can your local garage do it? Or can TELSA do it over the air? I am imagining getting snow tires and having to driven 250 miles to get the TPMS sensors programmed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So seeking any advice as I search for a wierd accessory.

Was out with the vehicle and needed a charge. But after the freezing rain the charge port cover wouldn't open. Even after chipping ice away. The top seam of the port cover had ice frozen in it. Tried using heat from my hand to melt it on its own. No luck. Sadly, in end, a combination of my warm spit and my hand held on the cover and the metal panel loosened it up.

While frostbite and spitting on my car worked I need an "in case of emergency" solution to have on hand and would rather not leave it to me needing to always to remember to fill a thermos with hot water.

Thoughts?
Maybe those hand warmer packs skiers put in their gloves?

Reactions: Oddmanout
On that note, probably not the best place to ask, but, do you need the new TESLA TPMS sensors reprogrammed by TESLA, or can your local garage do it? Or can TELSA do it over the air? I am imagining getting snow tires and having to driven 250 miles to get the TPMS sensors programmed. :rolleyes:
The local garage runs the onboard tire Calibration. Sensors work fine as set up by local garage. No tesla involvement.

I probably should have ran back the tesla video footage from the garage to see how they do it, but I think they just put the tires with sensors on the vehicle and the vehicle Calibration does everything.

Only issue I have ..ocd nagging detail issue... is that the vehicle on display and on app show up with 19" aero rims :) I want it to show my aftermarkets. Or even just my 20" OEM's. Aside from this very first world issue, all is well.

Reactions: DrGriz
The local garage runs the onboard tire Calibration. Sensors work fine as set up by local garage. No tesla involvement.

I probably should have ran back the tesla video footage from the garage to see how they do it, but I think they just put the tires with sensors on the vehicle and the vehicle Calibration does everything.

Only issue I have ..ocd nagging detail issue... is that the vehicle on display and on app show up with 19" aero rims :) I want it to show my aftermarkets. Or even just my 20" OEM's. Aside from this very first world issue, all is well.
from all the youtube videos i watched there used to be a place in settings where you can change the wheels on the display. Im not sure if V11 took the option out..

you guys want hear some hilarious story, I was falling asleep before checking the app one last time and getting the VIN, from there the feeling was strange, like (ok cool, finished the steps) then I can't sleep, then felt funny (mind you I have been sick for the past few days), then I felt light headed, hardly breathing, couldn't talk, it was so scary I called 911
I wish I was making this up, I am not ..
I honestly thought I have some heart problem, when the EMTs were here and spoke to me, my feet failed me and couldn't talk so I told them I will sit down, they asked "dude you are fine, you don't need to go to the hospital, but talk to us"
I go "It was weird it happened fast, maybe I didnt drink water, then I said well also about an hour ago, I got my Tesla VIN number"
they said "there it is, you got too excited, drink some water, get some rest"

I am fine now,
excuse my language
**** YOU TESLA For doing this to me lol
That makes me laugh so hard and almost cry at the same time. I don't know I might feel the same way. Hopefully not, otherwise my wife will make fun of me for the rest of my life.

So i should only request for this if I'm getting aftermarket tires?