Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Sorry for the late reply, I know I promised a 2000 miles roadtrip review in my Tesla Model Y, hope some of that info is useful and relevant to you, keep in mind, I drove 1000 miles from OH to TX, stayed a couple of days with family then drove another 1000 to Scottsdale AZ, wanted to share the breathtaking sunset view from the resident lounge where I live
1. Road-trips in a Tesla: as I stated before, you must understand that a trip will be longer and different than your average gas car, Tesla Range estimates are very extreme, in a lot of cases the system will recommend you charge to a percentage that you don’t necessarily need, but that is dependent on few factors I will cover in a bit, for now, keep in mind, roadtrips are amazing in Tesla, but they are longer, you will stop more frequently, your navigation is centered around superchargers, a good practice you can follow is find hotels with destination chargers, those are relatively fast (6-8 hours for a full charge) and they are always easier on your battery, did one of these when I was in AR, loved it!
2. Supercharging cost a bit more than estimates, yes! I even paid 16 dollars in some superchargers, location, traffic, the fees assocoated with the location, and yes, your battery readiness for supercharging, the more the battery is ready, the faster it will go to higher percentage, but the system will not let you do that and will ask you to leave once the optimal percentage is reached, even if you try to stay, charging will slow dramatically, making it impractical to try to charge further, this is another reason why if you can charge slower over night, do it, supercharge when time is of the essence
3. I recommend using ABRP and buying Premium, here is the deal, towards the end of my trip, for some reason, Tesla’s software was sending me through over a three hours drive from New Mexico and Tucson AZ, that was not reasonable, ABRP on the other hand said No, stop at Wilcox AZ which is half way, get some juice, then continue to Tucson, not sure why Tesla, which always recommend worst case scenarios did not ask me to do that, even though, it was not the safest bet to drive that long on a semi full battery, the comparison between the two Is very useful, will give you good plan B and reduce range anxiety
4. Tesla does not like high speed highways, that is unfortunate, the West Texas story!! A little over Midland TX, the Speed limit was 80 and guess what, Tesla started lose range more noticeably, that is because the battery is drained faster at higher speed, even in gas cars, but gas cars usually does better there in comparison, I really had to drive 75 on n 80 MPH road, and that 80 MPH lasted more than 6 hours, chargers were available, but Tesla‘s estimate was a big higher than actual, this was the case until I reached El Paso, where speed dropped to 60 and range estimates got way better, on 75 MPH Tesla does mediocre, 70 is okay, 60-69 is pretty good, anything below is golden
5. Tesla does incredible in traffic, for instance, I only lost 1% of my battery in a ONE HOUR heavy traffic
6. To maximize range, consider the following, 1. SPEED limit 2. AC 3. Weight, but the AC barely uses your range At average speed and good climate, extreme weather does hit The battery a bit hard, but nothing compared to driving high speeds can bother the battery, case in point, when I drove in Scottsdale today, I had my AC on, Standard mode, sports steering, but the speed was within the 60-69 range, golden, I am able to drive a lot and barely lost 7% of my battery
7. Autopilot, FSD , Wow, i mean holy WOW!!! Let’s just say I drove 10% of my long distance, 90% was this saucery called Autopilot, Auto Lane change, it did get ridiculous sometime in its lane changing, but it did really good in passing semis and slow traffic, make sure your settings are standard and not mild, Don’t judge me okay! But I used an Ankle Brace to put weight on the steering wheel and I did drive probably 2000 miles hands free, I was paying attention, in fact when I started getting sleepy, I found a hotel in the next stop and did not continue, I am still responsible okay haha
8. Accessories That you will find useful, a tray for food during breaks, an iPad mount on your coffee holder, extra cup holders mount, a USB C hub to connect your devices, A head rest that had Tesla logo on it

To be continued!

FE36963F-3531-4425-A994-775F731F2302.jpeg

Exactly why I went with Costco! They offered good discounts for being a member, and also some discounts based on educational achievements. My father has had a Model 3 insured by Costco for the past few years, and has had no complaints.
Thanks will look at Costco also, Progressive is much better than Geico! I thought Geico was supposed to be the best price, given they are no frills, ugh, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: kjudd11
Hi all

Sorry for the late reply, I know I promised a 2000 miles roadtrip review in my Tesla Model Y, hope some of that info is useful and relevant to you, keep in mind, I drove 1000 miles from OH to TX, stayed a couple of days with family then drove another 1000 to Scottsdale AZ, wanted to share the breathtaking sunset view from the resident lounge where I live
1. Road-trips in a Tesla: as I stated before, you must understand that a trip will be longer and different than your average gas car, Tesla Range estimates are very extreme, in a lot of cases the system will recommend you charge to a percentage that you don’t necessarily need, but that is dependent on few factors I will cover in a bit, for now, keep in mind, roadtrips are amazing in Tesla, but they are longer, you will stop more frequently, your navigation is centered around superchargers, a good practice you can follow is find hotels with destination chargers, those are relatively fast (6-8 hours for a full charge) and they are always easier on your battery, did one of these when I was in AR, loved it!
2. Supercharging cost a bit more than estimates, yes! I even paid 16 dollars in some superchargers, location, traffic, the fees assocoated with the location, and yes, your battery readiness for supercharging, the more the battery is ready, the faster it will go to higher percentage, but the system will not let you do that and will ask you to leave once the optimal percentage is reached, even if you try to stay, charging will slow dramatically, making it impractical to try to charge further, this is another reason why if you can charge slower over night, do it, supercharge when time is of the essence
3. I recommend using ABRP and buying Premium, here is the deal, towards the end of my trip, for some reason, Tesla’s software was sending me through over a three hours drive from New Mexico and Tucson AZ, that was not reasonable, ABRP on the other hand said No, stop at Wilcox AZ which is half way, get some juice, then continue to Tucson, not sure why Tesla, which always recommend worst case scenarios did not ask me to do that, even though, it was not the safest bet to drive that long on a semi full battery, the comparison between the two Is very useful, will give you good plan B and reduce range anxiety
4. Tesla does not like high speed highways, that is unfortunate, the West Texas story!! A little over Midland TX, the Speed limit was 80 and guess what, Tesla started lose range more noticeably, that is because the battery is drained faster at higher speed, even in gas cars, but gas cars usually does better there in comparison, I really had to drive 75 on n 80 MPH road, and that 80 MPH lasted more than 6 hours, chargers were available, but Tesla‘s estimate was a big higher than actual, this was the case until I reached El Paso, where speed dropped to 60 and range estimates got way better, on 75 MPH Tesla does mediocre, 70 is okay, 60-69 is pretty good, anything below is golden
5. Tesla does incredible in traffic, for instance, I only lost 1% of my battery in a ONE HOUR heavy traffic
6. To maximize range, consider the following, 1. SPEED limit 2. AC 3. Weight, but the AC barely uses your range At average speed and good climate, extreme weather does hit The battery a bit hard, but nothing compared to driving high speeds can bother the battery, case in point, when I drove in Scottsdale today, I had my AC on, Standard mode, sports steering, but the speed was within the 60-69 range, golden, I am able to drive a lot and barely lost 7% of my battery
7. Autopilot, FSD , Wow, i mean holy WOW!!! Let’s just say I drove 10% of my long distance, 90% was this saucery called Autopilot, Auto Lane change, it did get ridiculous sometime in its lane changing, but it did really good in passing semis and slow traffic, make sure your settings are standard and not mild, Don’t judge me okay! But I used an Ankle Brace to put weight on the steering wheel and I did drive probably 2000 miles hands free, I was paying attention, in fact when I started getting sleepy, I found a hotel in the next stop and did not continue, I am still responsible okay haha
8. Accessories That you will find useful, a tray for food during breaks, an iPad mount on your coffee holder, extra cup holders mount, a USB C hub to connect your devices, A head rest that had Tesla logo on it

To be continued!

View attachment 760232

Thanks for the great insight on the long road trips! I'm deciding on taking a road trip as well in April and debating on taking an ICE vehicle, the MY or just fly...

Hi all

To be continued!

View attachment 760232
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you made it safely. No judgement on the ankle brace- it's actually pretty genius. lol. Can you share links to the accessories you mentioned? TIA

Reactions: eric.freeman
Hi all

To be continued!

View attachment 760232
Wow, 2,000 miles in the first week of ownership!! What a way to really get to know your car very well! Just man and machine on the road together having bonding time. Nice!

• Love
Oh so when I clicked on link to schedule appt, it showed me a calendar with Thursday and Friday, which I assumed was this week since my EDD was 1/27-30 but now that I look on my account page its scheduled for next week on Thursday, on Feb 3, weird and a little bummed 😢...as I was ready, stressed but ready!!! Oh well, guess more time to look into insurances and avoid being cooped up with my little ee-vee during the snow coming this friday.

I
Exactly why I went with Costco! They offered good discounts for being a member, and also some discounts based on educational achievements. My father has had a Model 3 insured by Costco for the past few years, and has had no complaints.
am going with State Farm and it’s not too bad. Check them out. I also got a quote from Geico first and it was sooooo expensive.

Hi all

To be continued!

View attachment 760232
Any phantom braking incidents?

Hi all

To be continued!

View attachment 760232
Excellent...what tray did you get? I am trying to decide which ones to buy, going to buy at least 3...one for my wife and I and two for the kids, amazing..an accessory I did not get out of the 40 something I already have.
I have also been wondering is there a way to find out the charging price before arriving at the Supercharger?

Oh so when I clicked on link to schedule appt, it showed me a calendar with Thursday and Friday, which I assumed was this week since my EDD was 1/27-30 but now that I look on my account page its scheduled for next week on Thursday, on Feb 3, weird and a little bummed 😢...as I was ready, stressed but ready!!! Oh well, guess more time to look into insurances and avoid being cooped up with my little ee-vee during the snow coming this friday.
If you are military or have military family members, I recommend USAA.

I

am going with State Farm and it’s not too bad. Check them out. I also got a quote from Geico first and it was sooooo expensive.
I think Geico, progressive, state farm and Costco are all good. Depending on individual, one of them fits well. For me, state farm was generous on my 2007 Dodge Charger, but when I add Tesla they quoted high.

Finally went with Progressive and saved 500 bucks.

Bummed that my EDD seems to be moving in the wrong direction and is now much further out than it was originally. Is that normal?

Order for a MYLR Blue w/B&W Interior, 19" wheels and no FSD was placed November 13th. Original EDD was March 16-April 13, then it changed to June for a couple days (everyone else checks daily too, right? 😬), before giving me March 17-April 14 until near the end of December when it suddenly changed to July.

Wasn't too worried, figuring it was EOY delivery crush, etc., and would revert back. Unfortunately, it's stayed there ever since, for over a month now. Am I really going to have to wait until July? 😟

Reactions: EvEv
Excellent...what tray did you get? I am trying to decide which ones to buy, going to buy at least 3...one for my wife and I and two for the kids, amazing..an accessory I did not get out of the 40 something I already have.
I have also been wondering is there a way to find out the charging price before arriving at the Supercharger?
1. Honestly you may have found a better tray, I thought I could mount mine to the steering wheel but it does not seem to fit, but I will keep it since it’s a good one to have during meals
2. Great question, Supercharging estimates on ABRP are Very generous, the actual cost is more, I will say an average will be 12$ for an average of 60% of your battery
another thing you can do is lookup the supercharger info online, they will share if they have additional cost, but keep in mind, that supercharger locations are by design, and trying to skip one may not be possible based on your route

Reactions: samori01