Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian PV Institute website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
Why did I not discover this website earlier šŸ˜„

Interactive map which shows the proportion of dwellings around Australia with rooftop solar PV, or total installed capacity. Can be filtered by postcode, LGA or State electorate.

Four postcodes apparently have over 100% penetration (data robustness error? šŸ˜„) followed by 2174 (Edmonson Park NSW) with 95.2%, 6181 (Stake Hill in WA) with 87.3% and 5117 (Angle Vale in SA) with 82.9%.

The lowest is 2109 (Macquarie Uni, NSW) with a single 21 kW installation.

A few years ago I cobbled together a view on this using the same data sources, but APVI have done a much nicer job and map it as well as keep it up to date.

There are also tabs on this website to look at real-time PV production and other data that is heaven for stat-junkies out there.

Probably using stale data on number of houses in fast growing suburbs.

That must be it. They state that dwelling data comes from ABS stats from the 2016 census, extrapolated forward based on the average growth rate in that postcode since the census before that. Clearly that will be totally out of whack for new estates, whereas the installation of PV using SRECs is basically real time. The 2021 census data will be released from mid this year so will get a refresh then.

That must be it. They state that dwelling data comes from ABS stats from the 2016 census, extrapolated forward based on the average growth rate in that postcode since the census before that. Clearly that will be totally out of whack for new estates, whereas the installation of PV using SRECs is basically real time. The 2021 census data will be released from mid this year so will get a refresh then.
My beachside suburb in Adelaide has a 100kw+ system from the penrith rsl club apparently

My beachside suburb in Adelaide has a 100kw+ system from the penrith rsl club apparently

Oopsā€¦ scooting over the Penrith RSL on the map I can indeed see it is missing šŸ˜± I better ring them up to tell them someone nicked it šŸ˜„.

Any large dataset is going to have integrity issues. They donā€™t seem to have a ā€œcontact usā€ page where errors can be reported.

• Funny
Reactions: paulp
They really did install oneā€¦

ā€œPenrith RSL is mindful of its green footprint on the community and is proud of the installation of a massive solar system consisting of 800 panels or 200kW, making it the largest install in the club industryā€

Impressive for 2015.

Reactions: paulp