Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-brights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mimetz

Supporting Member
May 21, 2023
The auto-brights on my Y work better than the auto-wipers, which of course isn't saying much, but frequently they work fine. However, just as often, when I'm driving at night on a dark road, no traffic, no distracting signs, no street lights, or house lamps etc, in other words where the brights should automatically come on, they don't.

I can always flick them by pulling on the left stalk and can manually hold the stalk to keep them on, and *sometimes* I can push the stalk and they come on and stay on. More often I can't force them to come on by pushing on the stalk or playing with the display controls or anything else I've tried.

So, anyone else have this little quirk figured out? How to turn the brights on when they should come on but don't?

You can turn the automatic feature off and just do manual, like other cars. I think Tesla is trying to hard to automate things. It's good intentions, but unless it works really well, it becomes an annoyance. Autopilot and FSD turn on auto brights again even if you had them in manual mode. The best way is the S3XY buttons. You can override the brights and even automatically go back to manual after AP is engaged.

Reactions: Pianewman