Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto de-fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Jason - that would be interesting. If I put my hand over the vents there’s not really air there at all - it definitely feels like a flap is stuck. I’ve asked for a service…
Here you go.
So it was freezing yesterday and I preheated the car for 10 minutes. Standard preheat. fan set to "medium"
Car said it was up to temp after about 5 minutes. still some ice on the screen at that point but I recon the wipers would have cleared it.
By 10 minutes the screen was totally clear.
This is a deicing test rather than defogging the windscreen was not fogged to begin with just iced over.
hope this helps give you an idea of relative performance.

BEFORE
Screenshot_20240119_075353_Tesla.jpg

20240119_075244.jpg
20240119_075259.jpg
FLIR_20240119_075118_994.jpg

AFTER

Screenshot_20240119_080520_Tesla.jpg

20240119_080333.jpg
20240119_080437.jpg

FLIR_20240119_080422_694.jpg

Here you go.
So it was freezing yesterday and I preheated the car for 10 minutes. Standard preheat. fan set to "medium"
Car said it was up to temp after about 5 minutes. still some ice on the screen at that point but I recon the wipers would have cleared it.
By 10 minutes the screen was totally clear.
This is a deicing test rather than defogging the windscreen was not fogged to begin with just iced over.
hope this helps give you an idea of relative performance.

BEFORE
View attachment 1010685

View attachment 1010688View attachment 1010691View attachment 1010692

AFTER

View attachment 1010696
View attachment 1010687View attachment 1010693
View attachment 1010694Thanks for that - love the IR photos! Took it to Chester who were pretty good - they said there was a slipped cog on a flap directing the air to the screen… so three days later (gave me a courtesy car) all sorted and I’m looking forward to it being all foggy and cold for me to test it - but now there’s definitely lots of hot air to the windscreen so I’m sure it’s sorted. Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: browellm
ok this morning I had a fogged up windscreen. Auto defogging took 10 minutes before it was safe to drive. came back to the train station this afternoon - same again!

I don’t think I’ve had a car this bad, and I don’t even remember my Teslas being this bad before. This is a 2023 Y, had 3s before but doubt that makes any difference.

I don’t understand how the interior is staying moist enough to do this. And why defogging seems to mostly be blowing a fan on the windscreen rather than using AC to try and dry the air. I’d expect the AC to have kept it dry during driving as well so it wouldn’t be prone to fog up

ok this morning I had a fogged up windscreen. Auto defogging took 10 minutes before it was safe to drive. came back to the train station this afternoon - same again!

I don’t think I’ve had a car this bad, and I don’t even remember my Teslas being this bad before. This is a 2023 Y, had 3s before but doubt that makes any difference.

I don’t understand how the interior is staying moist enough to do this. And why defogging seems to mostly be blowing a fan on the windscreen rather than using AC to try and dry the air. I’d expect the AC to have kept it dry during driving as well so it wouldn’t be prone to fog up

Though I very rarely see any misting on the screen I sometimes see the de-fogging message. I normally run climate on auto but the fan set at "low" so decided to change it to "medium"... my reasoning being that it should shorten any de-fogging period. Whether that really helps or not I can't honestly say.

did you check the recirculation settings in the aircon section?

seemed greyed out - I tried manually setting AC with recirc on but after pressing AC on and turning the fan up, it was greyed out. Didn’t press it so maybe it still worked though.

I’d have thought auto defogging would have done that - but does it just use the fan like a numpty?
not sure. but I noticed, even it is Greyed out, it is actually pressable.

stupid UI decision here