Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to know where the sensor is. I do notice that my screen changes from night to day in the early morning hours and right around dusk. I wonder if it's the same sensor that controls all of the mirrors.
It would be nice if the dimmers could be controlled manually, that way I can change the dimmer when I get the monster trucks with their brights on behind me.
i don't have any proof to back it up but i'm fairly certain the screen changes based on your region's sunset/rise. waze and tesla seem to switch about the same time, although there have been times i've manually switched between day and night.

Same here, but my only complaint is while in reverse. I park my car in my garage in reverse, and the mirrors at night are always too dark. There's absolutely no other headlights that should be activating its sensors, but yet they just won't lighten up. Didn't know about the unplugging sensor wire trick, may have to try that.

I’m finding this thread interesting. I’m having zero issues with the dimming function of mirrors. In fact, they really save my eyes being blinded by a-holes that have no clue they have their brights on (kind of like those drivers that have no clue their turn signals have been blinking the last 10 mileso_O)

Too dark? Mine aren't dark enough and why I've always hated auto dimming mirrors in any vehicle. If the industry wants to auto dim the side mirrors, I'd good with that. But, I'd rather manually dim the center rearview mirror. Everything doesn't have to be automatic, especially when doing something manually is just as easy, if not easier and faster.
Same for me. Not dark enough. Was really hoping that this setting would be adjustable.

On your side mirrors there’s the standard border and inside the border is a blue hue that visibly darkens? My side mirror color is uniform unlike the rear view which shows that tell tale border.
Yes, my side mirrors have the clear border surrounding the darkened center. I see your Model 3 is a 2020 while mine is a late 2018. I wonder if Tesla has changed the mirrors?

Same here, but my only complaint is while in reverse. I park my car in my garage in reverse, and the mirrors at night are always too dark. There's absolutely no other headlights that should be activating its sensors, but yet they just won't lighten up. Didn't know about the unplugging sensor wire trick, may have to try that.
That is probably just your window tint, I had the same thing with my BMW backing into my long driveway. Mirrors are not supposed to dim on reverse when you really use them.

I'm going to check today if my car has the auto dim on the side mirrors. The owners manual doesn't really help us figure this out.
"When in the Drive or Neutral gear, the side mirrors automatically dim in low lighting conditions (for example, when driving at night or through a tunnel). Due to market region or build date, this may not be available on some vehicles."

My beef with them is they disengage the dimming too soon in the morning when cars still have their auto headlamps on and are blinding me. I think a way to please everyone here is to add a UI option to turn them on and off manually. There's no way everything in this car can be manipulated via software except for the mirrors...

"When in the Drive or Neutral gear, the side mirrors automatically dim in low lighting conditions (for example, when driving at night or through a tunnel). Due to market region or build date, this may not be available on some vehicles."
I think tesla hasn’t gotten around to updating the manual since the last update reads 2020.4/January 27, 2020.

My beef with them is they disengage the dimming too soon in the morning when cars still have their auto headlamps on and are blinding me. I think a way to please everyone here is to add a UI option to turn them on and off manually. There's no way everything in this car can be manipulated via software except for the mirrors...
Guessing I should feel lucky mine don’t have them? At this point it’s sheer curiosity to know if they stopped putting these in after January of this year.

I'm going to check today if my car has the auto dim on the side mirrors. The owners manual doesn't really help us figure this out.
Shouldn't they only dim when there's bright light hitting the mirrors, such as headlights or sun low on the horizon? It doesn't make sense to dim the mirrors simply when it's dark outside. Indeed, that's when I'd want to see as much as possible behind me or coming up beside me, such as a car driving without headlights on or someone trying to squeeze by on a bicycle. Also, I've not seen the mirrors dim during daylight hours when driving through a tunnel, as stated in the manual. As far as I can tell, they only dim/undim based on the time sunset or sunrise occurs.

My biggest gripe remains that they don't offer a manual setting for dimming the mirrors as they do for all the other automatic functions (headlights, high-beams, wipers).