Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Hi-Beam feature not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jennamarietx

South TX 2017 MX
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Texas
Was just driving around a few blocks tonight and noticed that the headlights didn't appear to be illuminating the road very well, tried switching to Hi beam with the turn-signal stalk and nothing happened, stuck on Low-beam. Went to "Controls" screen, and saw that the auto-hi-beam block was selected, but apparently this doesn't function, at least not in any way that I could tell. When I un-selected auto-hi-beam, then the turn-signal stalk will switch between low and high-beam; with the auto-hi-beam selected, then it's nothing but low-beam, forever. And this was a totally deserted residential street, no street lights and very very dark. Am I overlooking something here?

If you enable auto high beams and push the stalk forward then the high beams will come on when the car senses no other cars in front of you. When there is a car in front of you it will switch to the low beams, then turn the high beams back on once you are alone on the road again.

If you leave the stalk pulled back then the low beams will always be on.

Reactions: candersoh
There are 2 parts to enabling auto high beams.

1. Change the setting
2. Push the stalk that lets you flash your high beams forward until it clicks

Once youve' done both you will see an icon in the driver display in the upper left

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I noticed a few times that mine are not working as well. My setting is always in 'Auto' and my lever is always pushed to the front. Normally I can see the lights icon with an 'A' inside being gray or blue but sometimes I just see the low beam/fog icons and nothing else even in total darkness. Most of the time it will come back after turning the car off and on again. I will watch that more closely.

Wow! Thanks to all of you for these responses, now I have a much better understanding of how the auto-hi-beam function is supposed to work; and also why it never functioned during my residential street testing, as I was never going over 20 miles an hour (if even that fast). I believe I'll just leave it on "manual" so that if I actually want/need hi-beams when traveling below 20, then I'll be able to achieve that.