Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Homelink malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Edited thread title for accuracy.

I have the Homelink set to open 100ft from my garage door as I pull in my driveway. It has worked extremely well for months... until it tried to crush me. (Yea I know it wouldn't even dent the car) When I pull down the driveway I pull about 20 feet past the door and then back in. This time when I came to a stop and put the car into reverse the screen went black, computer crashed and the Tesla symbol came up. About 5 seconds later it was back to normal. I backed up the car and just as I was in the garage I heard a loud bang. I had hit my garage door. I thought I was crazy. I was using my reverse camera and mirrors and the door was open. I have videos cameras outside as well as the footage from my car. I reviewed footage from both. When the computer reset it re-triggered the garage door opener to fire as if I was pulling into my driveway 100ft away even thought I was 10ft away. Unfortunately there is a delay so my car was under the door when it started to close it. (not far enough to hit the laser) I contacted Tesla right away. I sent all the information and pictures. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a tech explaining everything.

The answer: YOUR CAR IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH SUMMON. Yes. 30 minutes on the phone with a tech. Pictures of everything that occurred. Reviewing of my computer log. This was Tesla's answer. When Tesla called me to tell me this asinine response the tech on the phone said he would investigate further. I reached out to the tech who had originally called me. No response. This occured in November and nothing. Bent garage door and scratched paint and the fault will happen again. The programming for the garage door should have some logic to prevent this.

TESLA this isnt safe and could result in injury or damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks that the garage door closed while you are backing in. There must be a way to prevent this re-trigger.
Did you have Auto Close of garage door enabled?
Or he could actually "gasp" be aware of his surroundings when operating a vehicle and ensure he doesn't hit something.

I guess I should blame my wife for closing the garage door as I was about to enter - wait, I SAW IT and didn't run into it.

Every morning when I back out of my garage I ENSURE that the door is fully open before I reverse out, similar to checking a blind spot before changing lanes. it only take 1/2 a second.

This is a good reason why I keep the Homelink audible alert on, so I know when it is triggered.

Or he could actually "gasp" be aware of his surroundings when operating a vehicle and ensure he doesn't hit something.

I guess I should blame my wife for closing the garage door as I was about to enter - wait, I SAW IT and didn't run into it.

Every morning when I back out of my garage I ENSURE that the door is fully open before I reverse out, similar to checking a blind spot before changing lanes. it only take 1/2 a second.

This is a good reason why I keep the Homelink audible alert on, so I know when it is triggered.
What if your garage door unexpectedly starts closing while you're in the process of pulling in/out of your garage like happened to the OP? Even an audible beep may not give you enough time to realize what's happening for you to quickly reverse direction and avoid damage.

What if your garage door unexpectedly starts closing while you're in the process of pulling in/out of your garage like happened to the OP? Even an audible beep may not give you enough time to realize what's happening for you to quickly reverse direction and avoid damage.
Have had that happen multiple times:

1) Like I mentioned above, my wife has hit the opener (closer) when i was pulling in. Didn't run into the door.
2) Backing out of garage, the door stopped mid-open and reversed for some reason. Didn't run into door.
3) Others, but I think the point is made.

When you hear the beep, if you are under the door you stop and ensure the door is still open. No damage.

Have had that happen multiple times:

1) Like I mentioned above, my wife has hit the opener (closer) when i was pulling in. Didn't run into the door.
2) Backing out of garage, the door stopped mid-open and reversed for some reason. Didn't run into door.
3) Others, but I think the point is made.

When you hear the beep, if you are under the door you stop and ensure the door is still open. No damage.
But if you stop, then the door will hit your car. I can just envision a disaster here, way worse than just a scrape on your roof from a garage door. If I hear a beep I must suddenly shift into Drive and jump forward quickly to avoid the garage door, but I better be ultra quick and sensitive to my acceleration to avoid unintentionally hitting something else, like the back wall of the garage.

But if you stop, then the door will hit your car. I can just envision a disaster here, way worse than just a scrape on your roof from a garage door. If I hear a beep I must suddenly shift into Drive and jump forward quickly to avoid the garage door, but I better be ultra quick and sensitive to my acceleration to avoid unintentionally hitting something else, like the back wall of the garage.
If you are stopped under it, the door may touch your car and will then then reverse.

It takes less than 5 pounds of pressure to reverse a (properly adjusted) garage door.

Go try it - reverse your closing garage door with just your hand. Not enough force to do any damage.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Futuresystem

Exactly... you can't hear the beep when backing in because of the backup sensors firing as you get close to the door.

• Funny
Reactions: thefortunes

Gasp... you are so right. Next time I will undercover my eyes. I normally back in like Sandra below.
1. Your wife tried to close the garage door when you were under it? (I think you have bigger problems than I do)
2. You can't hear homelink when your back sensors are firing when you are inches from something (sides of my garage door)
3. My comment was to make a point of a programming issue that exists. The garage should not trigger a 2nd time within a short distance of the garage if the computer resets. Thank you for your pointless comments above.

bird.jpg

I have the Homelink set to open 100ft from my garage door as I pull in my driveway. It has worked extremely well for months... until it tried to crush me. (Yea I know it wouldn't even dent the car) When I pull down the driveway I pull about 20 feet past the door and then back in. This time when I came to a stop and put the car into reverse the screen went black, computer crashed and the Tesla symbol came up. About 5 seconds later it was back to normal. I backed up the car and just as I was in the garage I heard a loud bang. I had hit my garage door. I thought I was crazy. I was using my reverse camera and mirrors and the door was open. I have videos cameras outside as well as the footage from my car. I reviewed footage from both. When the computer reset it re-triggered the garage door opener to fire as if I was pulling into my driveway 100ft away even thought I was 10ft away. Unfortunately there is a delay so my car was under the door when it started to close it. (not far enough to hit the laser) I contacted Tesla right away. I sent all the information and pictures. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a tech explaining everything.

The answer: YOUR CAR IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH SUMMON. Yes. 30 minutes on the phone with a tech. Pictures of everything that occurred. Reviewing of my computer log. This was Tesla's answer. When Tesla called me to tell me this asinine response the tech on the phone said he would investigate further. I reached out to the tech who had originally called me. No response. This occured in November and nothing. Bent garage door and scratched paint and the fault will happen again. The programming for the garage door should have some logic to prevent this.

TESLA this isnt safe and could result in injury or damage.
Is it set to auto close too?

Gasp... you are so right. Next time I will undercover my eyes. I normally back in like Sandra below.
1. Your wife tried to close the garage door when you were under it? (I think you have bigger problems than I do)
2. You can't hear homelink when your back sensors are firing when you are inches from something (sides of my garage door)
3. My comment was to make a point of a programming issue that exists. The garage should not trigger a 2nd time within a short distance of the garage if the computer resets. Thank you for your pointless comments above.

View attachment 512099
Lol. You run into a garage door and attempt to blame Tesla.

Turn auto open/close off if you can't be trusted to actually see things in your path.

Better yet, please stop driving altogether lest you blame Tesla when you hit a child next time.

I understand why your wife tried to close the garage door on you now. You are probably always looking over your shoulder at

I understand why your wife tried to close the garage door on you.

I understand why your wife tried to close the garage door on you now.

Quote much?

Edited to add: So you deleted your multiple posts. Hilarious.

Serious question...

When you had a regular button garage door opener, did it ever fail to open or close the garage door? Did you ever mistakenly press it twice? Did the door ever reverse?

Did you run into the door then?

If so, did you post in a LiftMaster forum that the "garage door opener(sic) tried to KILL me?"

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem
Yes. My best guess is when the computer crashed and came back up it saw the GPS location and triggered the garage door.

Auto close has resulted in similar issue, not just the OP.

PSA: Backing into garage when the door is already open

Also, beware if you have another Tesla with Auto open/close of garage door enabled. My Model 3 triggered to open our garage door as I approached, not knowing that my wife (driving another Tesla) was about 1 minute away from our house, auto triggered the garage door at 80 ft away....to close (since last action was open) the opened garage door. Luckily I was almost done in slowly parking inside our tight fit garage. Did not hit anything.

Different way to trigger but similar inadvertent closing/opening of the garage door. Not trying to pin blame - just sharing for awareness.

• Informative
Reactions: JasontheBeaver